Iconic Moments In Film

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Iconic Moments In Film

Post by Wesusa »

In a world where the word "iconic" has lost nearly all its meaning, I was wondering if there are moments in film that you consider iconic. For me, it's the imagery of Kong climbing the Empire State Building.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Hannibal Lector asking Clarice Starling whether or not the lambs have stopped screaming yet? Scary lines often stick in my mind. When the Tramp pushes the last meatball over to Lady in Lady and the Tramp. The giggle of Amadeus. I've never seen Gone with the Wind or Casablanca, but some line or scene from those is probably considered iconic. A Clockwork Orange "Singing in the Rain" scene or when Alex's eyes are propped open. Hitchcock's profile or the shower scene are memorable and well-known.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Wesusa

Post by Wesusa »

Bigwig1973 wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 22:49 Hannibal Lector asking Clarice Starling whether or not the lambs have stopped screaming yet? Scary lines often stick in my mind. When the Tramp pushes the last meatball over to Lady in Lady and the Tramp. The giggle of Amadeus. I've never seen Gone with the Wind or Casablanca, but some line or scene from those is probably considered iconic. A Clockwork Orange "Singing in the Rain" scene or when Alex's eyes are propped open. Hitchcock's profile or the shower scene are memorable and well-known.
Excellent selection. I would say Clockwork Orange's Singing in the Rain is quite famous, though I would agree that his eyes being propped open is the most famous imagery from the film. Great Post! Thanks for commenting :tiphat:
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Bigwig1973

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Wesusa wrote:
Bigwig1973 wrote: Hannibal Lector asking Clarice Starling whether or not the lambs have stopped screaming yet? Scary lines often stick in my mind. When the Tramp pushes the last meatball over to Lady in Lady and the Tramp. The giggle of Amadeus. I've never seen Gone with the Wind or Casablanca, but some line or scene from those is probably considered iconic. A Clockwork Orange "Singing in the Rain" scene or when Alex's eyes are propped open. Hitchcock's profile or the shower scene are memorable and well-known.
Excellent selection. I would say Clockwork Orange's Singing in the Rain is quite famous, though I would agree that his eyes being propped open is the most famous imagery from the film. Great Post! Thanks for commenting :tiphat:
I'm curious to see what other people think!
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

FJCJ55
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by FJCJ55 »

That's tough to remember, but Ill give it a shot.
The end part of Truman Show where he says "In case I dont see you, good afternoon, good evening and good night!" Then when he bows down to exit his "life"
Titanic: I am the King of the World was quite an iconic scene of the late 90s cinematography
Pulp Fiction: the dancing scene between John Travolta and Uma Truman, before I saw that movie, I couldn't understand why were everyone dressed like them
The Godfather: the horse scene lol and the Fredo kiss (what a masterpiece this trilogy - minus the last one - is)
Wesusa

Post by Wesusa »

FJCJ55 wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 22:50 That's tough to remember, but Ill give it a shot.
The end part of Truman Show where he says "In case I dont see you, good afternoon, good evening and good night!" Then when he bows down to exit his "life"
Titanic: I am the King of the World was quite an iconic scene of the late 90s cinematography
Pulp Fiction: the dancing scene between John Travolta and Uma Truman, before I saw that movie, I couldn't understand why were everyone dressed like them
The Godfather: the horse scene lol and the Fredo kiss (what a masterpiece this trilogy - minus the last one - is)
I agree with every single one! The Truman show one is my favorite, it truly is one of the most famous lines ever. The Godfather is a great series if you subtract the final movie. The entire cast is amazing.

Bigwig1973

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Wesusa wrote:
FJCJ55 wrote: That's tough to remember, but Ill give it a shot.
I agree with every single one! The Truman show one is my favorite, it truly is one of the most famous lines ever. The Godfather is a great series if you subtract the final movie. The entire cast is amazing.
For sure, the Pulp Fiction dance scene and yes, the horse head from The Godfather. Although from Pulp Fiction, Honey Bunny screaming "Everybody be cool this is a robbery..." is quite memorable as is Samuel L. Jacksons Ezekiel 25:17 "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides..."

What about Jason and Michael Voorhees? Pennywise the clown. Or, from Jurassic Park when the audience sees the t-rex in the mirror - objects in mirror are closer than they appear...

Bigwig1973

Post by Bigwig1973 »

John Travolta's Saturday Night Fever dance pose in his white suit and the little girl from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory as she is being rolled away after puffing up. The "Here's Johnny" scene from The Shining

FJCJ55
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by FJCJ55 »

Bigwig1973 wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 18:27
Wesusa wrote:
FJCJ55 wrote: That's tough to remember, but Ill give it a shot.
For sure, the Pulp Fiction dance scene and yes, the horse head from The Godfather. Although from Pulp Fiction, Honey Bunny screaming "Everybody be cool this is a robbery..." is quite memorable as is Samuel L. Jacksons Ezekiel 25:17 "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides..."

What about Jason and Michael Voorhees? Pennywise the clown. Or, from Jurassic Park when the audience sees the t-rex in the mirror - objects in mirror are closer than they appear...
Youre definitely right about the Samuel L Jackson scene!!! At least for me. That burger that he took the time to just taste!

Additionally , I thought of the Lion King where Rafiki holds Simba for the first time and all the animals react. I mean how many of us haven't done that to a baby or cat!

For Pennywise, the interaction with Georgie could be considered memorable, but has it reached iconic yet? Well shall see in 5 year or 10!!!

I wished the Professional was considered iconic, especially the scene where Natalie Portman acts in front of Leon!
Wesusa

Post by Wesusa »

Bigwig1973 wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 18:42 John Travolta's Saturday Night Fever dance pose in his white suit and the little girl from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory as she is being rolled away after puffing up. The "Here's Johnny" scene from The Shining
Here's Johnny is excellent, I can't believe I forgot that. Much of the Shining's imagery is iconic now that you think about it. :eusa-think:

Wesusa

Post by Wesusa »

FJCJ55 wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 21:12
Bigwig1973 wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 18:27
Wesusa wrote:

Youre definitely right about the Samuel L Jackson scene!!! At least for me. That burger that he took the time to just taste!

Additionally , I thought of the Lion King where Rafiki holds Simba for the first time and all the animals react. I mean how many of us haven't done that to a baby or cat!

For Pennywise, the interaction with Georgie could be considered memorable, but has it reached iconic yet? Well shall see in 5 year or 10!!!

I wished the Professional was considered iconic, especially the scene where Natalie Portman acts in front of Leon!
Once again amazing choices all around the board. This is amazing!

Bigwig1973

Post by Bigwig1973 »

FJCJ55 wrote:
Bigwig1973 wrote:
Wesusa wrote:

That scene from the Lion King is probably iconic (depending on the definition), but I think it's something we forget as we get older. Also, because we watch these as children and then because our children watch them, it becomes more deeply engrained. Maybe we write their importance off because they are movies for children. I think just Jason and Michael with their masks are so incredibly well known - Pennywise might become that well known. SO MANY people watch and read Stephen King. I have not seen Leon:The Professional, although I have seen the previews. It's on my watch list. I love the song "Shape of My Heart" which I think is on the soundtrack or someone just made a video using the song.

Bigwig1973

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Bo Derek running on the beach in 10
The little girl in the red coat in Schindler's List
The bathroom scene from Full Metal Jacket when "Private Pyle" or Leonard is sitting there with the gun and says "Full Metal Jacket." I'd heard about the scene long before I ever saw the movie.

Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

The pig blood on school stage scene in Carrie
Meenahhhh
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meenahhhh.html