The Shining

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

The Shining

Post by Wesusa »

I recently watched The Shining for the first time- and while I did like some particular scenes, the movie as a whole just felt way too disjointed. There are huge leaps in what the characters do, and even though it's said to be a "slow descent", Jack Torrance seems to be off his rocker before they even get to the Overlook. I began reading the book, and although it is a bit slower, I do think that it has the potential to lapse the film. What do you think of either of the two mediums?
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I wonder if the disjointed feel of the movie was intentional? A Clockwork Orange was kind of like that, as was Full Metal Jacket. Sometimes I wonder if the disjointed sensation is relative to the viewer? A lot of variables might come into play making the film seem more disturbing to one viewer than another viewer. I enjoyed the movie and felt badly for pretty much every character in the film!
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

That’s true, it was very likely intentional. However while I can put that aside, it’s difficult for me to “Overlook” the fact that there was no real descent to happen, at least for me.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Meenahhhh
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meenahhhh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Meenahhhh »

I saw just the movie and well, I can understand why it’s a classic.

Return to “Films and Books”