Squid Game

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Squid Game

Post by Gravy »

Squid Game is amazing!

This is an anti-capitalist story where a group of people, who are deeply in debt, are gathered together to play a series of children's games for money. However, what they don't know is that the games are fatal for the losers.
Very bloody, very gory, very good.

It's been #1 for some time now (in almost 90 different countries!), so there must be some members here who have watched/are watching this. I want to hear everyone's thoughts!

Also (SPOILER) when did you know about the twist? (I caught it fairly early, but I missed a lot of the clues for it.)
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I watched the series. It was brilliant but too violent for my taste at times.

Spoiler:

I suspected the twist when they didn't show his death, but I didn't suspect he was behind it all. Also, the reason behind the games was silly not to mention evil, but it made sense in a distorted way.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

gali wrote: 05 Oct 2021, 07:01 I watched the series. It was brilliant but too violent for my taste at times.

Spoiler:

I suspected the twist when they didn't show his death, but I didn't suspect he was behind it all. Also, the reason behind the games was silly not to mention evil, but it made sense in a distorted way.
I totally get the too violent thing. I was raised on that stuff so it doesn't really bother me, but I totally get it.

Now, show an animal death that's too realistic and I have a very bad problem. (I actually just had this happen and haven't been able to continue the series yet.)

Spoiler: I suspected he was involved/a plant when they stopped the fight when he yelled. I missed a bunch of the other clues, though, so it's funny that I jumped to that conclusion. :lol:

I'm really hoping for another season!

gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Gravy wrote: 05 Oct 2021, 07:51
gali wrote: 05 Oct 2021, 07:01 I watched the series. It was brilliant but too violent for my taste at times.

Spoiler:

I totally get the too violent thing. I was raised on that stuff so it doesn't really bother me, but I totally get it.

Now, show an animal death that's too realistic and I have a very bad problem. (I actually just had this happen and haven't been able to continue the series yet.)

Spoiler: I suspected he was involved/a plant when they stopped the fight when he yelled. I missed a bunch of the other clues, though, so it's funny that I jumped to that conclusion. :lol:

I'm really hoping for another season!
I also can't watch animal deaths.

I missed that clue (the yelling), so you were ahead of me. Now that you mention it, I get it.

I loved the games they played. We played them too (except for the squid game) and didn't know they played the same games in Korea.

As the series ended in a cliff-hanger, there will probably be another season.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Bigwig1973
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I have never seen the show but I watched one of the trailers. Kinda reminds me Richard Bachman/Stephen Kings novella The Running Man which was later turned into a movie. I was also inspired to read an entry on the man o' war: a type of water creature that might be mistaken for a squid because they, like squid, have thingy's sticking out that might hurt you. Ask most people "What is that thing in the ocean that has little things sticking out of it that can hurt you?" They will probably answer either a jellyfish or a squid. A man o' war is actually a colony of identical things, which is kinda creepy considering that the people on the show are all probably Korean and poor (now) and applying the Christian notion of the seven deadly sins they would probably be guilty of greed or avarice. According to Aristotle, these people would likely have a defect of sorts as they stumbled away from the "mean" or desired average standard for greed, I suppose. ANYWAYS, it seems like quite the show.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

The twist was pretty obvious tbh. Like they all had the same reasons to participate in the games but not him. Also, they showed his hand while he was removing his mask during a scene. It became even more obvious.
Hoping for a season 2 as there were so many loose ends with no connectivity whatsoever.
Rachael S 1
Currently Reading: Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachael-s-1.html
Latest Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr

Post by Rachael S 1 »

I am surprised how much I enjoyed this series. I am not a big horror/graphic fan, but this one caught my interest and kept it. I knew the old man was an important person because he was classified as 001. That had to be important! But I finally figured it out when the "important" people got together for the viewing and the "host" was not there.
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

Officially renewed for a second season! :happy-partydance:

Mishkah Simons DeVos
Currently Reading: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mishkah-simons-devos.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Mishkah Simons DeVos »

I've watched a few Korean series, which I enjoyed and ALL of them were exaggerated in some way. So, Squid Games' bloodshed wasn't unexpected, not making it any less graphic, by the way.

Spoiler:

I was fooled by the old man; not proud. The only thing I can say is that, with each episode, I always found the things he did suspicious, assuming that he might be significant in some way. That all stopped when they eventually were going to "kill" him. Then I saw the ending...
Inge van Tonder
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inge-van-tonder.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Inge van Tonder »

My husband and I were very sceptic to watch it as it is sounded over and everyone kept making such a hype over it, it seemed overrated. But them I watch a clip on youtube about one specific game they played and it intrigued me to go and watch the full series. We actually really enjoyed it and kept saying throughout, "Why are they so stupid? We could have done it better!"
Anthonio042
Currently Reading: Sex, Genes and Rock 'n' Roll
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthonio042.html
Latest Review: "INVASIONS: 'Killing og the Indian'" by Don Diehl

Post by Anthonio042 »

It's just been a month since I started watching Squid Game because it's been all over social media. Amazing and intriguing are the words that come to me when I consider of it. The twist you're referring to was initially obscured from me, but I uncovered it right after finishing the series.
Owuamanam Eberechukwu
Currently Reading: All will be revealed
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owuamanam-eberechukwu.html
Latest Review: The In-Between by Christian Espinosa

Post by Owuamanam Eberechukwu »

Gravy wrote: 05 Oct 2021, 06:38 Squid Game is amazing!

This is an anti-capitalist story where a group of people, who are deeply in debt, are gathered together to play a series of children's games for money. However, what they don't know is that the games are fatal for the losers.

It's been #1 for some time now (in almost 90 different countries!), so there must be some members here who have watched/are watching this. I want to hear everyone's thoughts!

Also (SPOILER) when did you know about the twist? (I caught it fairly early, but I missed a lot of the clues for it.)
The squid game is one of the best movies produced in 2021, it was one of the tablets used to weather the pandemic. The movie was really magnificent. Gravy, this movie deserves the best of awards. I am happy O Yeong-SU won a golden globe, but I feel Sae-Byeok deserved it too.
"I am learning every day to allow the space between where I am and where I want to be to inspire me and not terrify me."
Tracee Ellis Ross
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

Owuamanam wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 09:39

The squid game is one of the best movies produced in 2021, it was one of the tablets used to weather the pandemic. The movie was really magnificent. Gravy, this movie deserves the best of awards. I am happy O Yeong-SU won a golden globe, but I feel Sae-Byeok deserved it too.

I agree. I loved her in it as well, and would have been happy with her getting a win. But I am still so happy he won!

Owuamanam Eberechukwu

Of course it’s a Win and it’s a win. Can I recommend you another movie. Just like Squid game, this one is corporate politics. Really amazing.
"I am learning every day to allow the space between where I am and where I want to be to inspire me and not terrify me."
Tracee Ellis Ross
Owuamanam Eberechukwu

Gravy wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 20:53
Owuamanam wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 09:39

I agree. I loved her in it as well, and would have been happy with her getting a win. But I am still so happy he won!
Yea, I was asking if I could recommend you another movie. It’s really a great movie on Corporate politics, believe me you will surely love it.
Tracee Ellis Ross

Return to “Films and Books”