Best Horror Adaptation

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
TusharJoshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tusharjoshi.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Icon Best Horror Adaptation

Post by TusharJoshi »

Let's face it- for most of us, the book has always triumphed over the movie. Most movie adaptations leave a lot of key plot points that we readers crave. Nevertheless, some movies do hold the standard as that of the book. Doing so is all the more commendable when it comes to the horror genre.
What is the one horror movie adaptation that you feel came close to the story envisioned by the author? What made it captivating?
Leasa Ana Maria
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Devil Pulls the Strings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leasa-ana-maria.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Leasa Ana Maria »

I believe the movie IT is one of the best horror adaptations.
Wanjla Carl
Favorite Author: by Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjla-carl.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz
fav_author_id: 221705

Post by Wanjla Carl »

For me I would say it is the American horror story. This is because of it's unique and creative approach to horror, incorporating elements of suspense and psychological terror.
Kaylyn_Marie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Eater of Gods
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylyn-marie.html
Latest Review: H.O.E Hustle Over Everything by Samantha Camel
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Kaylyn_Marie »

Definitely IT by Stephen King. The movie did it so much better, the scares were fantastic and the characters were more relatable than the book.
~The Tatted Reader :reading-3:
JosehNjuguna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josehnjuguna.html
Latest Review: The Slippery Road. by L. M. Bollers

Post by JosehNjuguna »

In my opinion, one of the best horror adaptations is the TV series "The Haunting of Hill House." This Netflix series, created by Mike Flanagan, takes Shirley Jackson's classic novel and transforms it into a chilling and psychologically intense experience.
"The Haunting of Hill House" masterfully builds tension and creates an atmosphere of dread throughout its ten-episode run. The show combines elements of supernatural horror with intricate family drama, delving into the complex dynamics and traumatic past of the Crain family. The writing is intelligent and thought-provoking, exploring themes of grief, trauma, and the impact of the supernatural on human lives.
One of the standout aspects of this adaptation is its character development. The Crain family members are portrayed with depth and complexity, and their individual struggles and relationships with one another are explored in a compelling manner. The performances from the cast, including Victoria Pedretti, Oliver Jackson-Cohen, and Carla Gugino, are exceptional and contribute to the overall effectiveness of the series.
Visually, "The Haunting of Hill House" is stunning. The cinematography and production design create a hauntingly beautiful aesthetic, filled with eerie and unsettling imagery. The use of long takes and hidden ghosts in the background adds an extra layer of unease, making every frame feel unsettling and leaving viewers on edge.
Furthermore, the series excels at building suspense and delivering genuinely terrifying moments. It employs a mixture of supernatural elements, psychological horror, and jump scares to keep audiences engaged and frightened. The show's ability to balance atmospheric horror with moments of intense terror contributes to its effectiveness as a horror adaptation.
"The Haunting of Hill House" is a standout horror adaptation due to its superb storytelling, compelling characters, stunning visuals, and ability to elicit genuine fear. It not only pays homage to the source material but also expands upon it to create a fresh and memorable horror experience.
Nimra Kiran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimra-kiran.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Nimra Kiran »

JosehNjuguna wrote: 19 Jul 2023, 16:00 In my opinion, one of the best horror adaptations is the TV series "The Haunting of Hill House." This Netflix series, created by Mike Flanagan, takes Shirley Jackson's classic novel and transforms it into a chilling and psychologically intense experience.
"The Haunting of Hill House" masterfully builds tension and creates an atmosphere of dread throughout its ten-episode run. The show combines elements of supernatural horror with intricate family drama, delving into the complex dynamics and traumatic past of the Crain family. The writing is intelligent and thought-provoking, exploring themes of grief, trauma, and the impact of the supernatural on human lives.
One of the standout aspects of this adaptation is its character development. The Crain family members are portrayed with depth and complexity, and their individual struggles and relationships with one another are explored in a compelling manner. The performances from the cast, including Victoria Pedretti, Oliver Jackson-Cohen, and Carla Gugino, are exceptional and contribute to the overall effectiveness of the series.
Visually, "The Haunting of Hill House" is stunning. The cinematography and production design create a hauntingly beautiful aesthetic, filled with eerie and unsettling imagery. The use of long takes and hidden ghosts in the background adds an extra layer of unease, making every frame feel unsettling and leaving viewers on edge.
Furthermore, the series excels at building suspense and delivering genuinely terrifying moments. It employs a mixture of supernatural elements, psychological horror, and jump scares to keep audiences engaged and frightened. The show's ability to balance atmospheric horror with moments of intense terror contributes to its effectiveness as a horror adaptation.
"The Haunting of Hill House" is a standout horror adaptation due to its superb storytelling, compelling characters, stunning visuals, and ability to elicit genuine fear. It not only pays homage to the source material but also expands upon it to create a fresh and memorable horror experience.
Exactly, I agree!
The Haunting of Hill House recounts the story of a haunted mansion and the psychological toll it takes on its inhabitants. This series, I think, became famous for its atmosphere, character development, and emotional depth. It was very well adopted, plus I would also go for it because it dive deep into themes of trauma, grief, family bonds, and the lasting impact of childhood experiences. It explores how the supernatural can serve as a metaphor for deeply personal and emotional struggles. Plus, it manages to draw out raw emotions from its viewers, not just fear. The family dynamics and emotional ups and downs of the characters are depicted so close to reality, making the horror elements even more impactful!
"A bear knows seven songs and they are all about honey."
Anaïs Quesson
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-s-quesson.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Anaïs Quesson »

JosehNjuguna wrote: 19 Jul 2023, 16:00 In my opinion, one of the best horror adaptations is the TV series "The Haunting of Hill House." This Netflix series, created by Mike Flanagan, takes Shirley Jackson's classic novel and transforms it into a chilling and psychologically intense experience.
!!!!! Oh my, yes.

I have still to read Shirley Jackson's book so I can't compare, but the show is just so good. It's not just like other horror shows based solely on jumpscares with meaningless characters.
The tension is perfectly mastered through all the episodes. The casting is perfect, each character has depth and meaning. Even the children actors are very good at playing, perfect for their roles.

A true masterpiece!

( On another note, I was let down by The Haunting of Bly Manor. It was good, but not as good as Hill House. :eusa-think: )
Anaïs - she/her

"No nightingales. You idiot. We could have been... us."
Jacob Mamman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacob-mamman.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by Jacob Mamman »

"The Silence of the Lambs" masterfully brings Thomas Harris's novel to the screen. Anthony Hopkins's portrayal of Hannibal Lecter and the psychological intensity make it a standout horror adaptation.
João Ramos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jo-o-ramos.html
Latest Review: Impromptu by Reid Hoffman

Post by João Ramos »

I would have a hard time choosing between The Shining and Psycho. As much as I prefer Stephen King's book, Alfred Hitchcock is still fantastic. :D
Ceildric
Currently Reading: Madrigal's Magic Key to Spanish
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceildric.html
Latest Review: Nimue: Freeing Merlin (Barnes & Noble Edition) by Ayn Cates Sullivan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 200
2024 Goal Completion: 3%

Post by Ceildric »

I think the director and other talents involved in creating the movie version of American Psycho deserve a lot of credit. They took a book which some believed might not even be film-able (due to its graphic violence and amorality), and, while not doing exactly a scene for scene adaptation, still captured the spirit of the novel.
Bradley Twesten
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-twesten.html
Latest Review: 2X2 on the Ark: Five Secrets of a Great Relationship by Mary J Giuffra, PhD

Post by Bradley Twesten »

I loved The Haunting of Hill House also. I did hear there is a 2nd Winnie the Pooh horror coming out. Didn't see the first one, but heard the 2nd is getting good marks on rotten tomatoes.
msinbox
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by msinbox »

The Exorcist, hands down. The book was excellent, and thankfully the movie was just as good.
Raymonda Onwuka 1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymonda-onwuka-1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT: Mastering AI Conversations for Beginners by Malcolm Oppenheimer

Post by Raymonda Onwuka 1 »

For me it is a movie titled " The nun" .
Muhammad Haikal Birton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muhammad-haikal.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Muhammad Haikal Birton »

I would go with "The Ring" (2002) directed by Gore Verbinski. I love the way the movie captures the eerie atmosphere of the original novel and brings it to life on the big screen.

Return to “Films and Books”