How do you choose a book to read?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Victor Solomon247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-solomon247.html
Latest Review: Because He Loved Us by Sharon Williams

Re: How do you choose a book to read?

Post by Victor Solomon247 »

there are a few different ways you can go about it. looking for titles that catch their eye or reading the blurbs on the back cover. Others rely on recommendations from online book communities. You can also explore different genres or authors that you enjoy, or even check out bestseller lists or book award winners for inspiration. Ultimately, it's all about finding something that piques your interest and gets you excited to dive into a new story!
Great-minds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-great-minds.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Great-minds »

Choosing the next book can indeed be a delightful yet challenging task. Personally, I recommend considering your current mood or ambiance – whether you're craving something light and uplifting or a deep, thought-provoking piece. Rotating between different genres is another strategy to keep the reading experience diverse and engaging. Seeking recommendations from friends, online platforms, or book clubs can unveil hidden literary gems. Exploring more works by an author you enjoyed can be a rewarding journey into their distinct writing style. Additionally, participating in reading challenges or setting personal goals adds an element of fun and purpose to your reading choices. Lastly, reading reviews or summaries provides a glimpse into a book's essence, aiding in deciding if it aligns with your current interests. The beauty of reading lies in the multitude of choices available, making each selection a unique adventure in itself.
dealogically
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dealogically.html
Latest Review: Enlightenment for the things that really matter by Mark Gumbrell

Post by dealogically »

First, I pick the one that catches my eye, be it the cover or the title. Then I will read the blurb; if I like it, then I will proceed.
Ashleigh Mittag
Favorite Author: Kathleen Glasgow
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 25
fav_author_id: 44507
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 180%

Post by Ashleigh Mittag »

I usually have to be in a certain mood for a certain book, for example im re-reading the Harry Potter series and if i wasnt in the mood to continue the whole series i would choose something lighter to read like a manga. If that makes any sense
Zanne Crystle
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rules of Redemption (The Firebird Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zanne-crystle.html
Latest Review: The Art of Being Difficult by William Chekhov

Post by Zanne Crystle »

I usually read the summaries of new releases in my favorite genre. I occasionally look up book recommendations on Reddit as well.
Monika Holzknecht
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Monika Holzknecht »

I always download a lot of books at once, based on topics and usually on covers...yes, I am superficial in this:) so I have hundreds of books, but not always all in the series, and because I hate waiting for the next book to be finished, I read only those that are complete... I usually switch between romance and fantasy, as to keep me on my toes:) and I choose books based on the Goodreads review, or I just get my husband to pick one for me, he usually just scrolls down the list and points at one collection, so it is really random and for me exciting:)
Naushin Moledina
Favorite Book: The Canterville Ghost
Currently Reading: Boundaries
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naushin-moledina.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by Naushin Moledina »

First, I judge a book by it's cover. Beautiful covers attract me more. But sometimes by it's genre.
To hate is an easy lazy thing, but to love takes strength everyone has, but not all are willing to practice
Timothy Gye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-gye.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Timothy Gye »

Through the book description once I like it I will read it an also recommend it.
Angus Zonny
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angus-zonny.html
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Post by Angus Zonny »

I mostly go for African literature. So, I just pick from the great writers and read their books. It is amazing.
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr
João Ramos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jo-o-ramos.html
Latest Review: Impromptu by Reid Hoffman

Post by João Ramos »

I plan the books I want to read, but most of the time, everything happens by chance. For example, I'm reading something, and I remember wanting to read a specific book, and then I start reading similar books.
Shiru Elizabeth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shiru-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: From Flames to Valor by Jose L Berrios

Post by Shiru Elizabeth »

I look for books that offer both entertainment and insight. I'm drawn to stories that reflect my experiences or open my eyes to new perspectives.
sanna254
Favorite Book: Percy Jackson and the Olympians
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by sanna254 »

The short description does it for me. Am a literal 'Don't judge a book by its cover'
Ashley Price 3
Favorite Book: Home Body
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-price-3.html
Latest Review: Enlightenment for the Things that Really Matter by Mark Gumbrell

Post by Ashley Price 3 »

Sometimes I pick my next read based on the cover. I also like looking at this site and goodreads for ratings/reviews before I decide to read a book. It also usually depends on the mood so in summer I like reading light-hearted books and mystery books in the winter.
Tobi Adefila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobi-adefila.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Tobi Adefila »

Once I like a book description then I go for it.
BHUMI D
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhumi-d.html
Latest Review: Binge by Anne Pfeffer

Post by BHUMI D »

At first, I used to read the description and mostly decide on that. Also, if there are a lot of people whom I know are recommending it and it was fiction I would have picked it up.
Right now, I am trying to explore all other genres - so I still go to the description first. If I am in a bookstore and have the physical book with me - I read the first few pages to see if I like it. If it's a very popular book - I watch the interviews of the author about that book - generally there are no spoilers there. That pretty much gives me an idea and I take a chance.
I will never again pick up a book only by reading the description. Nor will I fall for those -Best Selling, Award Winning, International Bestseller - phrases on book covers no matter how interesting the description is. I have had huge disappointments in those.
Latest Review: Binge by Anne Pfeffer

Return to “Films and Books”