How do you choose a book to read?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Kayla_long
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: How do you choose a book to read?

Post by Kayla_long »

I usually choose a book either by its cover, someone recommended it to me, or I just saw it online and thought it sounded good.
Kirana Lin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Kirana Lin »

Especially in bookstores where they seal the books and I can't skim through the pages, I choose based on the cover, title, and summary. If they're intriguing enough or if they have my favorite genres (horror, thriller, epic fantasy) then I'm sold.
Jolien Engelen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jolien-engelen.html
Latest Review: Dylan McLeod-Vexor City by J. B. Christensen

Post by Jolien Engelen »

Nowadays I am on bookstagram. So I choose by the vibes of the reels (little videos). But I used to find it difficult to find good books. I always looked at just pretty covers which motivated me to read the book. Most of the time it were really good books, but sometimes they were really boring. When I'm reading the description of the book, I find it dificult to actually know if it's a good book. A lot of books have different vibes than the description says. I figured out that reading just the back and looking at pretty covers wasn't enough. So now I do a bit of research. I'm a fantasy reader so I have to beware of different series, it happened before that I read a book in the middle of the series. The internet is also useful to have more keywords that tell the vibe of that specific book. I know it's a lot of work but this is what helps for me. :techie-studyinggray:
Jovana Vukojicic
Currently Reading: Requiem For A Queen
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jovana-vukojicic.html
Latest Review: Mithra by John M. Rattenbury
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Jovana Vukojicic »

When I chose the book to read I have meny criteria. Like, sometimes I chose by title and other times I chose by genre. When I really don't know what to read then I find a book with short introduction and if I find it interesting I chose to read that book.
Love bite
The Keeper Jr
Favorite Book: The Cruel Prince
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-keeper-jr.html
Latest Review: Khanjar by Bob O'Brien

Post by The Keeper Jr »

Generally, I read the descriptions of the book when choosing. Most of the time I just wanna try something new so I close my eyes and choose something random :D . sometimes I end up choosing some cool books but sometimes I get unlucky too. But I think it's okay to experience and read any type of book. I just wanna read.
"Once I did bad and that I heard ever. Twice I did good, but that I heard never." - Dale Carnegie
Latest Review: Khanjar by Bob O'Brien
JosehNjuguna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josehnjuguna.html
Latest Review: The Slippery Road. by L. M. Bollers

Post by JosehNjuguna »

Ijust look at the cover page if i like it i read the book
BookAddikt
Favorite Book: The Black Dagger Brotherhood
Currently Reading: The Law of Unintended Consequences
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by BookAddikt »

If the title looks or seems interesting Ill read the description to see what its about.
Sometimes Ill read it if I know the Author such as Anne Rice
Okewunmi Pelumi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okewunmi-pelumi.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Okewunmi Pelumi »

One thing I check first is the category the book belongs to. As for me, I love Non-fiction books, I don't seek for entertainment, I only want what will give me an extra knowledge!
hugsforkoo
Favorite Book: The Scottish Boy
Currently Reading: Death on the Nile
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by hugsforkoo »

I read a lot of romance and so there's specific tropes in that that I look for while selecting books.
Runan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: A Place Under the Sun by Luis Urtueta
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 150%

Post by Runan »

I think the title of the book is important in selecting a book. If it grabs my attention, then I take my time looking at the cover of the book and read the short summary given at the back and then decide whether I will read that book or not. Most of the time, the title that grabs my attention has to do with my thoughts and feelings at that point. Also, my mood as well. If I am happy, happy, peaceful, titles grab my attention and I pick them out. Sometimes, I’m in a mood to read mystery novels, romance, fiction and sometimes just about anything, irrespective of genre.
Runan
Cheshta Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheshta-sharma.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Cheshta Sharma »

I try to find books by reading the back of the cover that has the summary. I like to explore bookstores to find books when I do have time.
Yuri_tzi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Yuri_tzi »

:) For me to be interested in a book, it has to have something involving in its synopsis, something that makes me want to know more. Of course I am always guided by the punctuation of the book and, most importantly, that it is on a topic of interest to me, although it is never bad to read new things and get out of the zone of
Gee-Q Mdluli
Currently Reading: Adventures of Uncle Billy and Ross
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gee-q-mdluli.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Gee-Q Mdluli »

If I'm being honest, one of the first things I look for is the length. I usually opt for non-fiction, so if the book's length is longer than what a book dealing with the same topic should be, I'm sorry, but I'll be looking for a more concise version. There are many ways to get information in this day and age. I do not want to be plodding through ramblings that end up being repetitive or going on about things that are irrelevant.

The second thing I look for in a book is how learning more about the topic could be helpful, especially in the context of fiction. I consider how realistic and credible it is and whether or not it will provide value or if it will be familiar to something I know in real life.
Naomi Brown 3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Naomi Brown 3 »

It depends on my mood my capacity. Sometimes I want a book that will be uplifting , it could be sad or challenging but still uplifting . Other times I'm ready to dig deep into a book. Either way like others I usually start with the cover, and description read a few pages and choose from there.
Ika Apro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ika-apro.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Ika Apro »

I usually read them by someone's recommendation or the blurb.

Return to “Films and Books”