How do you choose a book to read?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Rinkal21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Icon How do you choose a book to read?

Post by Rinkal21 »

When it comes to deciding what to read next, I am always in a dilemma. In my mind, I want to read everything impatiently, but I end up reading something I never counted on my list :P
So, how do you choose what to read next? Please throw some suggestions. Thanks :D
Joy Max
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-max.html
Latest Review: Scam Story by Gini Graham Scott

Post by Joy Max »

I know it's a bad habit but usually, I just pick a book with a beautiful cover. I've been doing that for a while and I've only been disappointed once.
Jonté Joy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jont-joy.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve

Post by Jonté Joy »

One way I find a new book is I like to see what yhe Kindle app recommends for me. Another way I find new books is by googling "top ...... books" and then see what's comes up but focusing more on the search results that includes authors in the result list. Sometimes I also go onto the social media pages of my favorite author’s and see the author’s they promote/follow as well.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

@Rinkal21

Very good question for the discriminating reader. I have an extensive home library (about 3000 volumes) so I can usually find something of interest just by browsing long enough. There are also a lot of good book videos on You Tube which offer a lot of book suggestions both classic and contemporary along with a bit of blurb about them to give you some idea of what they are about. I found a very good book recently by one of the video channels there, but I tend to only take the advice of presenters I have learned to trust.

Below, in my opinion, is probably the finest You Tube video channel out there.
https://www.youtube.com/c/BenjaminMcEvoy/videos
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Rinkal21
Currently Reading:

Post by Rinkal21 »

@DATo
Thank you for your email and I will definitely check out the channel.
Leasa Ana Maria
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Devil Pulls the Strings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leasa-ana-maria.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Leasa Ana Maria »

I have three ways of choosing a book.
1. the cover
2. the author
3. the short description on the back
human reader

Post by human reader »

If I haven't read anything about religion and mythology for a while, I might go with that. I try to change up genres, moods, settings, etc. a decent amount.
Valeria Rotaru
Currently Reading: Of Human Bondage
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeria-rotaru.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valeria Rotaru »

I probably have very subjective opinions, but I mostly look at the title and a tiny little bit at the cover. I also look at the name of the author. I like classic novels, so if the cover is stylish and a big classy, then I am just gonna grab that book and read it. But usually, I just look up on the internet the best books ever written and that's how I make my own reading list. To be fair, that is kinda how I choose movies to watch.
IgnisRhapsody
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ignisrhapsody.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by IgnisRhapsody »

To choose a book I check several details:
Recommendation... If a friend recommended it to me, I might try reading that book first.
Author... If I feel a certain relationship with the author, I am more likely to choose the book.
Cover... I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but it's usually the only thing we have before we can choose a book.
Comfort Ansah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-comfort-ansah.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Comfort Ansah »

In finding a book to read, I usually look through the books ratings and then read a few reviews before making an informed decision. Another factor I consider is the kind of books I like to read. I love romance, thriller, adventure so I would not necessarily look for a book about history.
Jakub Bystrowski
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jakub-bystrowski.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Jakub Bystrowski »

I read through the reviews and comments. Sometimes, I also pick by the cover of the book. It's not advisable to do that tho. It can be misleading.
Ben Madeley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

I normally look for books in my area of interest and check out previous reviews, on here and on amazon.
Durraj Malik

Post by Durraj Malik »

I mostly choose by recommendations by my trusted fellow readers but most of the time I choose them related to my course. For example, The Reluctant fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid was in my course reading so I liked reading it and hence continued reading books of the same authors and authors or books similar to that.
Roderick Voss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roderick-voss.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Roderick Voss »

I read the description of the book to check what it is all about.
Francisco59
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Francisco59 »

The books which have left the biggest imprints on me were the handiwork of the Fates. I never planned to read them, I never even bought them, they simply found me. Lord of the Rings, Half of a Yellow Sun, Half Girl-friend, Beautiful Bandit, Balzac and The Chinese Seamstress, among others, happened to me that way. One time I am passing them by like they never were there, the next I am stopping to check what the thing is with them, and baaaang! Seduction Complete! :)
“Do not be afraid, you who are highly esteemed. Peace! Be strong now; be strong.”

Return to “Films and Books”