Kids "friendly" horror movies / Non-Horror movies that scared the daylights out of you

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Kids "friendly" horror movies / Non-Horror movies that scared the daylights out of you

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I am not sure if this topic has been brought up yet, but I was wondering what was your experience when you were younger with a 'kid friendly horror' or 'non-horror movie' that frightened the daylights out of you?

Mine was definitely Gremlins.
I don't know why these little creatures with their cute faces has such an effect on me, but they haunted me in and out of my dreams for many years! I still find them creepy today and I am almost 30 years old! I think I was around 8 or 9, maybe even younger, when I watched Gremlins the 1st time!
Melissa Best
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: Love and Marriage
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-best.html
Latest Review: Chameleons by Martin Wyatt

Post by Melissa Best »

It's hard to say that any sort of horror movie could be good for kids, but I do remember a few from my childhood that were scary children's movies. Coraline was terrifying when I watched it and honestly I don't think I'd be willing to watch it again. Tim Burton movies also had a creepy feel to them, and I remember Frankenweenie being another that I really would not want to watch again.
Allyana
Currently Reading: Kaylie's Forgotten Birthday- children's book
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Allyana »

Caroline. The other mother creeped me out :shock:
human reader
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by human reader »

The opening of Are You Afraid of the Dark was spooky. Some of the episodes were decently scary.
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Hot Potato by Marty Katz

Post by Mayang Bature »

I'm not a big fan of horror films. They don't frighten me, and their plots are usually weak, even annoying sometimes. However, I'll recommend The Conjuring because the movie has a great backstory and even a spin-off, Anabelle.
Michael Adam Glidden Forteski
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Parable of the Sower
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-adam-glidden-forteski.html
Latest Review: Mindful Screen Time by John and Kimberley Woods

Post by Michael Adam Glidden Forteski »

I remember watching the Leprechaun and Critters when I was little. What were my parents thinking? I definitely had niightmares because of the Leprechaun. I also watched the Chucky movies with my mom when I was little. Maybe I need to have a conversation with my mom about what's appropriate viewing when she babysits...
Jakub Bystrowski
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jakub-bystrowski.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Jakub Bystrowski »

I'm not a fan of horror movies. I just don't buy the idea of horrifying oneself.

Return to “Films and Books”