The Little Mermaid

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Cielito Leyendo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cielito-leyendo.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

The Little Mermaid

Post by Cielito Leyendo »

I'm not one for live action remakes of Disney movies (you can't top the visuals and colors of cartoons, live action is always disappointing in comparison) but I want to support the new The Little Mermaid. I think Halle Bailey is a great choice for Ariel! But I can't lie, the trailer has me worried. Flounder and Sebastian look awful!

Are you optimistic for the remake?
BB8_Rey
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BB8_Rey »

Hi there, I adore Disney but have never watched one single remake. I love animation, all the magic and extreme moments I can get fully immersed in but I struggle to stay immersed when people are mixed with computer graphics. Also, how they tend to use such famous actors takes me right out.

Here with the Little Mermaid, I had not heard of the two leads before, I thought it was nice change to not have people who are not so overexposed. To see them as a character is really cool.

I understand you about Sebastion and Flounder. If this movie was made in the 80's Sebastian, Flounder and Scuttle probably would have been a mix of puppetry and robotics. Or done like the original Pete's Dragon. I can get immersed in the cartoony 2D look but not the 3D look for some reason haha

I would love movies these days to still craft handmade creatures and since there are such talented people and materials, they could make something that is truly "there" with the actor.

I saw a video once from a behind the scenes of a movie and it started with a growling doberman covered in blood and wounds...it was looking like animal services needed to be called but then, the camera zoomed out...it was a puppet on a person's arm! I could not believe it, the most realistic puppet I had ever seen

I saw some behind the scenes of Halle and in my Imagination I could see how a robotic/puppet flounder could have worked during her swim scenes.

BB8 Was what's called practical effects, he even could roll down the red carpet at premieres haha, I feel if he had been fully animated with CGI that the scenes he was in wouldn't have been so special.

Am I optimistic? Almost for the first time in this remake era.

When people first started talking about this movie there was a cute mistake going around on twitter. People were saying "Halle Berry has been cast as Ariel" people were saying "I am up for it, but isn't she a little..sorry a bit on the older side for this role?" Eventually, Halle Berry herself said something adorable like "Halle's getting it done" then Halle Bailey replied to her.

Hey, if you want to support Halle, Go for it. Going to the movies is a night out and a memory made and a chance to eat tonnes of popcorn🙌

You may have seen it already by now but I saw no one had replied to you so I thought I would 🌷
Tobi Adefila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobi-adefila.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Tobi Adefila »

I must say Halle Bailey ate that role up. Although, the movie had a lot of criticism. I really didn't find any fault. Yea, I know it didn't top the original cartoon but still the movie was amazing.

Return to “Films and Books”