Would You Choose To Never See The Film?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
NovaFly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novafly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Would You Choose To Never See The Film?

Post by NovaFly »

With most things I'll give the movie ago but I read and adored Miss Peregrine's School for Peculiar Children and I could tell just by watching the trailer that they had changed it a lot for the movie so I can't bear to watch it.
Netvigator72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netvigator72.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Netvigator72 »

klbradley wrote: 15 Jul 2016, 10:51 There have been some that I have done this with, really just because the book was so great to me that I'm afriad the movie will ruin it. There are just some things that should be left alone.
I feel the same sometimes too.
See_B00kReaDs
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

I can just read the book without seeing the film, but a part of me would like to see the film in order to compare the two. Though it may disappoint sometimes since books are way better, but I still want to see how would they go about in the movies.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

God bless you! :D
sevillagirl18
Currently Reading: China rich girlfriend
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevillagirl18.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by sevillagirl18 »

I don't think I'd make the decision to never see a film, but there have definitely been series that I've stopped watching in the middle because they were so disappointing. I've never seen the final Hunger Games or Divergent films and honestly I'm okay with that.
KaraSkinner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karaskinner.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by KaraSkinner »

More often than not, if I loved a book, I get disappointed by the film. However, the few times I liked the film were so incredible they made up for the bad ones. Usually, I only decide not to see the film if the book was only okay. However, there are times when I liked the movie better. Fifty Shades of Grey is definitely better in movie form, in my opinion, and the book Nerve was a huge letdown after I enjoyed the movie version so much.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

I would still see the movie. We have to remember that how you craft a book/novel verse a film are entirely different works of art. In film something scenes will be cut and some things will be added, its visual. While novels are visual text wise, you as the reader must the build world from the paragraph provided. Which, unlike a film that builds for you, can feel more personal.
cookiedough
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cookiedough.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by cookiedough »

Oh totally. Usually the book is better than the movie. However, curiosity always gets to me and I end up seeing the movie anyway. I have noticed if I put enough distance between when I finished the book and saw the movie a few years later, I have forgotten the details of the book. I remember the plot, but not everything and this allows me to enjoy the movie.
ardalgarcia
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ardalgarcia.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by ardalgarcia »

Yeah I would always end up seeing the film, I'm just too curious! It makes me sad when they don't do a good job but I always like the fact that someone thought the book was good enough to give it a go!
Georgephilips
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgephilips.html
Latest Review: Finding Jehovah by Azrael Levi

Post by Georgephilips »

suzieheichou wrote: 15 Jul 2016, 11:57 I couldn't agree more. I saw so many movies after books and not even half of them was good enough. I personally think that books are much better, as you said, you can imagine how the charactes look, how the scenery looks... it's all in your head. there're no limits for imagination, which is great.
I agree to this also. But I sometimes love the movies instead of the books.
_claudi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by _claudi_ »

The fact that i have read the book wouldn't stop me from seeing the movie. It will be fun to watch how the creativity and imagination of the producer plays out.
Themysteriouskitten
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themysteriouskitten.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland

Post by Themysteriouskitten »

I have Skipped on a number of movies because I had read the books first and knew what was gonna happen but it's amazing to see how others imagined or felt in a certain situation about the character
All your scholarship, all your study of Shakespeare and Wordsworth would be vain if at the same time you do not build your character and attain mastery over your thoughts and your actions.
Mahatma Gandhi.
psmith5659
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psmith5659.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by psmith5659 »

If there was one movie I could go back to have not seen, it would be the Hunger Games. The book was incredible, and it dealt with so many social issues beautifully, but the movie focused on all of the wrong aspects of the story and the characters. I would gladly have not seen it.
Kajol Dadhania
Favorite Book: Open Water
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajol-dadhania.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kajol Dadhania »

I have chosen not to watch the movie as it usually is very different from my imagination and no matter how good it is, it ruins the experience of reading a book for me
Imagine if we had no secrets, no respite from the truth. What if everything was laid bare the moment, we introduced ourselves?

Return to “Films and Books”