The Percy Jackson Movies

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Jordan Abio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordan-abio.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Re: The Percy Jackson Movies

Post by Jordan Abio »

I was obsessed with the Percy Jackson books. I read all of them several times. The movies were a huge disappointment for me too.
Leasa Ana Maria
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Devil Pulls the Strings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leasa-ana-maria.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Leasa Ana Maria »

I didn't read the books, but they are on my list to purchase urgently, because, if a not so good movie made me so interested and somehow addicted to the story, I wonder how good the books will be.
kasedy Fairbairn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasedy-fairbairn.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by kasedy Fairbairn »

The movies have NOTHING on the books. I could go off so much about this. I refuse to watch the movies because when I do I just yell the whole time. They ROYALY messed up important details in the movies.
Faatimah Noormahomed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faatimah-noormahomed.html
Latest Review: Karrana by Anne Skyvington
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Faatimah Noormahomed »

I definitely agree with you! The books were really poorly adapted into movies... I feel like they had so much potential. But I'm super excited for the series that's to come! Hopefully that's better :)
IgnisRhapsody
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ignisrhapsody.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by IgnisRhapsody »

I would like them to make a good live action version of Percy Jackson, unfortunately the movies from a few years ago were not very good. The new Disney series doesn't seem to be either... So, I don't have much hope, luckily the books are good and they are easy to find compared to other books.
Agatha Bushguy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agatha-bushguy.html

Post by Agatha Bushguy »

Laughing out loud. You said "somebody rant with me". That was really funny. But I understand your pain. I really do.
Agatha Bushguy
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agatha-bushguy.html

Post by Agatha Bushguy »

The truth is that no body should expect so much from a movie that is based on a book. Books will always be better because the authors can make it as long as they want. They can afford to talk about every emotion and every action. Movies cannot because they have limited time. To me, the movies were okay, but the books are always going to be better.
Ruthhagar Tsikata
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Alpaca In The Backa’ My Car
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruthhagar-tsikata.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Ruthhagar Tsikata »

I think I need to read the book because I loved the movies but ready the reviews shows the book was way better but realistically converting sorties into movies hasn't always been the same and some have been very disappointing due to production cost
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I only watched the movies and I absolutely loved them, but by reading the replies regarding how much better the books were and the disappointment in the movies, I can't wait to get the books!
Le-nic Pretorius
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-le-nic-pretorius.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Le-nic Pretorius »

I wish I read the books before watching the movies. I didn't find the movies good or bad but the books were definitely better and they could have done more with the movies.
Flora Posh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flora-posh.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Flora Posh »

Before reading the books, I watched the Percy Jackson movies, and the films were not impressive at all. So I was a little hesitant to read the books, but to my surprise, they were better than the movies. So yeah, the movies are disappointing.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Michael Adam Glidden Forteski
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Parable of the Sower
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-adam-glidden-forteski.html
Latest Review: Mindful Screen Time by John and Kimberley Woods

Post by Michael Adam Glidden Forteski »

I am not sure what went wrong and where with the movies. Sometimes it comes down to executive decisions that cast and crew have little control over. In any case, it gives us all an excellent reason to read or reread the books. I wouldn't waste my time with the movies.
Claire Twy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-twy.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Claire Twy »

Olivia Harris wrote: 29 Sep 2016, 14:20 So I'm not sure if this has already been discussed (or ranted about) but I was so disappointed in the Percy Jackson movies. The books were so astounding and brilliant that I couldn't have been more disappointed in the films! I was excited to see how they would portray them but that was such a let down. I loved Logan Lerman in The Perks of Being A Wallflower, he was AMAZING, but in an interview with the cast, they claimed they had never heard of Blue Food.

I mean... wow.

Please somebody rant with me on this!!
The books were such a huge part of my childhood and I was so excited for the movies... which turned out to be a huge let down. I feel like they were alright as stand-alone movies, but for die-hard Percy Jackson fans like myself, they were an immense disappointment. The prophecy saying a child of 20? Killing Luke off in the second book? Resurrecting Kronos in Sea of Monsters? I mean, come on. There are plans for a new Disney+ series though, which Rick Riordan is heavily involved in, so I hope that that will pay homage and stay true to the books we all know and love.
Maria Ferreira Silva
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-ferreira-silva.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Maria Ferreira Silva »

I love novels and films about the Greek mythology but I was really disappointed by the film. The movie was basic and plain, they could have made such a better work with it.
Jakub Bystrowski
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jakub-bystrowski.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Jakub Bystrowski »

I feel the movies were bad compared to the books. I feel it was bacd directing or low budget.

Return to “Films and Books”