The Percy Jackson Movies

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
kristenjc
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 13

Re: The Percy Jackson Movies

Post by kristenjc »

I agree too. Those books were some of my favorites in Middle School and I died a little inside when I saw how horribly made the movies were.
Booknerd222
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Booknerd222 »

My friends andI went to go see The Lightning Thief in theaters when it came out and we didn't stop laughing until the end of the movie. holy crap what a movie. The book is ALWAYS better! Except Harry Potter, that's a tie xD
writtenbetweenthelin
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by writtenbetweenthelin »

The first one is okay... but it tells a different story than the books do. The second one is just awful...
Delioness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delioness.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Post by Delioness »

I haven't read the books, but the movie I saw 'Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief' was quite interesting.
See_B00kReaDs
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

ebeth wrote: 24 Oct 2016, 18:05 I have never heard of them and have never read or watched them.
I highly recommend you to try reading Percy Jackson series. It's really a good one!
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

God bless you! :D
See_B00kReaDs
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

Since I have read the book, obviously I was kind of disappointed with the movie, but when I watched it with my family, and since they haven't read the book, they say it was good.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

God bless you! :D
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Herein lies the difference between a good book in its original content verses an adapted screenplay.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
whitewolf_3
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by whitewolf_3 »

I've seen both movies. I realize this is mostly a young person's movie, but I enjoyed watching it, having never read the books, never knowing there was a book. The visual effects and dialogue make it a b-type movie, but it is kinda cool for enthusiasts. Pierce Brosnan seems oddly cast, but makes his character come alive. Sean Bean as Zeus, wanting a war because the lightning bolt was stolen? Questionable. Overall, good watching for a rainy day.

The second movie, Sea of Monsters. Percy is learning what else he can do as the demi-god son of Poseidon. Pretty nice powers, interesting effects. Not really sure what else to say about it. Less memorable than the first one.
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

I agree that the books were fantastic and the movies were a let down. I'm not surprised the third one got cancelled. I'm actually surprised there was a second one. Which somehow surpassed the first movie in awfulness (sorry but true). I thought Logan Lerman was great in the role! I just think he had bad writing to contend with
Thebookstealer
Currently Reading: Fish Wielder
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Thebookstealer »

I completely hyped the Percy Jackson Series because I read the books and they were amazing! Then I noticed my friends weren't so excited about it; they'd watched the movie and not read the book so they just didn't understand what I found so impressive.

I thought they just had terrible judgemy till a watched the movie. Was I disappointed? No, just really embarrassed at how terrible it actually was.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I loved the books. I feel like they tried to create blockbuster movies, instead of trying to stay true to the story. I was disappointed, but it's always fun to watch books come to life.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

The Percy jackson movies are one of the worst movies adapted from a book. Such a waste of such a brilliant series written by Rick Riordan.
NicholsC97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholsc97.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by NicholsC97 »

I liked the movies but yeah they could have been better.
Arvizualexia
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Arvizualexia »

I think the movies are good but they do forget a lot of the important detail's from the book. I also do wish that they would could finish making the movies so I could really see the books come to life.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

anix67 wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 16:46 I agree that the books were fantastic and the movies were a let down. I'm not surprised the third one got cancelled. I'm actually surprised there was a second one. Which somehow surpassed the first movie in awfulness (sorry but true). I thought Logan Lerman was great in the role! I just think he had bad writing to contend with
I have nothing more to add. Great post. The movies are filth and boring. I wouldn't pay 0,99 to watch the third one. :?
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

Return to “Films and Books”