The Percy Jackson Movies

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Charlie19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Re: The Percy Jackson Movies

Post by Charlie19 »

Percy Jackson movie for me is great because it was portrayed well by the actors, they have a great story telling ability as well.
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

I really enjoyed the books and was very disappointed when watching the movies. I understand that the movie is limited by how much of the story they can tell...but the scripts were so far off I couldn't believe it! Another thing was the characters' ages. Harry Potter did an amazing job of producing the movies as the actors aged, so why not the same here? I think the movies would have done a lot better and appealed to a wider audience if they had started with Percy and his team being 12 instead of 16/17...
Cybbie_09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cybbie-09.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Cybbie_09 »

Olivia Harris wrote: 29 Sep 2016, 14:20 So I'm not sure if this has already been discussed (or ranted about) but I was so disappointed in the Percy Jackson movies. The books were so astounding and brilliant that I couldn't have been more disappointed in the films! I was excited to see how they would portray them but that was such a let down. I loved Logan Lerman in The Perks of Being A Wallflower, he was AMAZING, but in an interview with the cast, they claimed they had never heard of Blue Food.

I mean... wow.

Please somebody rant with me on this!!
I WILL GLADLY RANT WITH YOU ON THIS!!!! I was beyond livid when I watched the movies! It felt so rushed...jumping from one point to the other when there was enough material in the book for a 2hr movie.
Don't even get me started on the character representation especially that they looked much older than 12 which is Percy's age at the beginning of the story. Rick Riordan is a brilliant author. I have read pretty much everything he has written so far and will continue to read his work. I am so sad that such a brilliant author is not getting his wonderful books represented properly. Can you imagine the 2nd series as movies or even a tv series to really explore the story in depth?? That'd be amazing! I had no problem with the main actor but just the fact that the characters did not look like they should have. Glad I am not the only one who had this opinion. At school I am always telling students to read those books and some said, "Well I watched the movies." and I keep telling them that the movies sucked compared to the books and to give the books a chance. I hope everyone does the same.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

Cybbie_09 wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 20:54
Olivia Harris wrote: 29 Sep 2016, 14:20 So I'm not sure if this has already been discussed (or ranted about) but I was so disappointed in the Percy Jackson movies. The books were so astounding and brilliant that I couldn't have been more disappointed in the films! I was excited to see how they would portray them but that was such a let down. I loved Logan Lerman in The Perks of Being A Wallflower, he was AMAZING, but in an interview with the cast, they claimed they had never heard of Blue Food.

I mean... wow.

I WILL GLADLY RANT WITH YOU ON THIS!!!! I was beyond livid when I watched the movies! It felt so rushed...jumping from one point to the other when there was enough material in the book for a 2hr movie.
Don't even get me started on the character representation especially that they looked much older than 12 which is Percy's age at the beginning of the story. Rick Riordan is a brilliant author. I have read pretty much everything he has written so far and will continue to read his work. I am so sad that such a brilliant author is not getting his wonderful books represented properly. Can you imagine the 2nd series as movies or even a tv series to really explore the story in depth?? That'd be amazing! I had no problem with the main actor but just the fact that the characters did not look like they should have. Glad I am not the only one who had this opinion. At school I am always telling students to read those books and some said, "Well I watched the movies." and I keep telling them that the movies sucked compared to the books and to give the books a chance. I hope everyone does the same.
Indeed. I don't know one person that liked The Percy Jackson Movies. Chris Columbus should retire after such tremendous failure. :evil2:
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

LinaMueller wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 22:20
Cybbie_09 wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 20:54

I mean... wow.

Indeed. I don't know one person that liked The Percy Jackson Movies. Chris Columbus should retire after such tremendous failure. :evil2:
Okay I don't think anyone who's read the books likes the movies! Not even Riordan himself it's that bad. Apparently he tried to warn them before they made the movies because they let him read the script. But they didn't listen. :doh: Good new though! They made The Lighting Thief into a musical and although there still is the age issue, the portrayal is a lot more accurate and feels so much more in sync with the books. You guys should totally check it out if your still into Percy Jackson. WAY WAY BETTER than the movies that's for sure. But I'm sure anything could be better than the movies.
cassibear13
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by cassibear13 »

I agree, the movies were a let down after reading the books. The character representation choices were poor and didn't match the books descriptions very well. I think that there was so much missing from the movies and that they didn't hold up to the plot of the books. When I first watched the movies with my sister I had read the books while she had not, I didn't like the movies while my sister loved them. I think that the movies are good but not in comparison to the books.
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

Am I the only one who thinks that the first movie wasn't such a letdown? Or at least, not so much as the others? Even though it deviated a bit from the book's plots and scenes, the first film seemed pretty good. The terrible graphics of Sea of Monsters and the biiiiiggg slide from the plot was what spoiled the films for me.
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

So I actually didn’t know these movies were based on books at first. I didn’t mind the movies on their own as a stand alone project though. I have not read the books yet so I feel like my opinion could and probably will change after I do read them.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

I didn't even read the books and yet I was quite disappointed with the movies, although Logan lerman's acting was decent.
SaharaFierce56

Post by SaharaFierce56 »

I first read the Percy Jackson series when I was in middle school. Not too long ago I reread them and as an adult I still throroughly enjoy them. Sure the movies were pretty lackluster and missing so much of the plot from the books but I believe the movies need a reboot with a better director and everything would be fine.
ENOCH SAGE
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by ENOCH SAGE »

Although I don't plan to watch it again,the film is so interesting so I don't see why it is not good for you.
ENOCH SAGE
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by ENOCH SAGE »

I've watched the lighting thief and sea of monsters and I see it is great.
destyarf

Post by destyarf »

Pertama nonton film Percy Jackson dulu baru baca novelnya. Waktu liat filmnya, "Wah keren banget nih." Apalagi aku suka sama film yang menceritakan tentang dewa dewi Yunani. Gara-gara penasaran, akhirnya aku mulai baca novelnya.

Dan.... BOOM! Ternyata jalan cerita di film dan di novel SANGAT JAUH BERBEDA. Bener-bener sebeda itu. Agak kecewa sih tapi kalo buat yang ga baca novel dan hanya liat filmnya pasti mikir kalo filmnya lumayan bagus.
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

Extremely disappointing from an adaptation standpoint! I'm sure I enjoyed the movies plenty when I was young, but that's not much of an endorsement. They're in the process of making a Disney+ series adaptation now though! With Rick Riordan, the author of the books, actually being involved behind the scenes this time. It's a great time to be a Percy Jackson fan
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

I loathe the movies and cannot comprehend what the script writers were thinking. It seems as if they didn't even read the books.

Return to “Films and Books”