Lord of the Rings: Book vs Movie

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Jakub Bystrowski
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jakub-bystrowski.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Re: Lord of the Rings: Book vs Movie

Post by Jakub Bystrowski »

I prefer the movies to the books. The movies did a wonderful job representing the books. It took fiction to another level.
Meatballs022
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Meatballs022 »

The book is better than movie :snooty:
Carlos Mata Saenz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

I have enjoyed the books so much, and there are so many details that are only in the books, but I stay with the films. First, because you can easily revisit the Middle Earth “just” with few hours, while the books require more time. Second, because I used to have the tradition of watching the films with my sister and they bring me back really good memories.
Donald Donaldson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-donaldson.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Donald Donaldson »

lacos2693 wrote: 07 Nov 2016, 08:16 LOTR: What was better, the books or the movies?

I loved the movies but loved the books as well. As a whole though the movies win, which is rare since i normally adore the books and find the movies passable.

Also, is anyone going to read the new Beren and Luthien book?
i prrefered the book. i will always prefer a ook to a movie because why not? i got to see a ton of things that the movie could not capture.
Ash Subra
Favorite Book: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ash-subra.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Ash Subra »

I haven’t read the book yet but I love the movies. All the three movies. I lost count how many time I’ve watched the movies.
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

I like the book and movie equally

a boring answer, but that is the truth.

Sure there are thing i like better in the book, and things i like better in the movies. But overall i like them equally.
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
Joseph Jose Nj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40

Post by Joseph Jose Nj »

Both forms of The Lord of the Rings are testaments to the enduring power of Tolkien's story and the incredible creativity of those who have brought it to life.
Julie Basil
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Good Inside
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Julie Basil »

I like the books more than the movies because there are so many details that can't be fully captured in movies due to time constraints. Even when watching the extended editions of the movies, there are some parts of the books that just can't be included.
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery
Flora Posh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flora-posh.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Flora Posh »

I prefer the movie to the book
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
BookAddikt
Favorite Book: The Black Dagger Brotherhood
Currently Reading: The Law of Unintended Consequences
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by BookAddikt »

Movies. I couldnt read the books because of the style of the writing maybe? Im not sure it just didnt hold me there. If there was no lotr movie I wouldnt have attempted reading the books
Toroti Akogun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toroti-akogun.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by Toroti Akogun »

I totally agree with this. The movies were well developed, and if you judge them on their own, they are praiseworthy. Of course, not everything in the books could fit into the movies, but since this is a comparison of books vs movies, then books take the win.
katiestardis wrote: 25 Apr 2017, 14:15 If you judge the movies alone, they are amazing. The story flowed well, the graphics were cool, and the characters were well-developed. Having read the books, I know there was SO much missing, but I understood why they had to cut stuff out. If we're judging the books vs the movies, the books were infinitely better.
Okewunmi Pelumi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okewunmi-pelumi.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Okewunmi Pelumi »

I'll prefer the movie. It seems it's an interesting one.
Ika Apro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ika-apro.html
Latest Review: The Warrior's Meditation by Richard L Haight

Post by Ika Apro »

I think the movie popularized it and did well to the book, but the book was more detailed for me.
Rukayya Yusuf Hameed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rukayya-yusuf-hameed.html
Latest Review: The Golden Manuscripts: A Novel by Evy Journey

Post by Rukayya Yusuf Hameed »

Surprisingly, I haven't read any of LOTR's books. But I've watched the movies. Judging by the replies, the movie didn't do the book any justice. So I’ll be reading the books very soon to compare.
Great-minds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-great-minds.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Great-minds »

In my biased opinion, the movie adaptation of "The Lord of the Rings" surpasses the books, offering a cinematic marvel that elevates the entire Middle-earth experience. Peter Jackson's vision translates Tolkien's intricate narrative into a visual feast, bringing an unparalleled grandeur to the epic tale.

The movies immerse the audience in a breathtaking world, thanks to state-of-the-art special effects that were groundbreaking for their time. The sweeping landscapes, intricate costumes, and meticulously crafted sets contribute to an awe-inspiring spectacle that captures the essence of Tolkien's creation.

The stellar cast delivers performances that resonate deeply with viewers. Ian McKellen's portrayal of Gandalf is iconic, and Viggo Mortensen's Aragorn embodies the heroic spirit of the character. The emotional depth brought to these roles enhances the connection audiences form with the characters, making the journey through Middle-earth even more compelling.

The pacing of the movies keeps the momentum flowing, ensuring a gripping and accessible narrative. While the books offer a wealth of detail, the films distill the essence of the story without sacrificing its core elements. This cinematic adaptation manages to strike a balance that caters to both avid fans and those new to the world of hobbits, elves, and wizards.

Return to “Films and Books”