Lord of the Rings: Book vs Movie

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
lacos2693
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lacos2693.html
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni

Lord of the Rings: Book vs Movie

Post by lacos2693 »

LOTR: What was better, the books or the movies?

I loved the movies but loved the books as well. As a whole though the movies win, which is rare since i normally adore the books and find the movies passable.

Also, is anyone going to read the new Beren and Luthien book?
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni
AMagnificentAmberson
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by AMagnificentAmberson »

I heard it was originally supposed to be two films written by only Peter and Fran, and it makes sense because about half of the film scenes are excellent, particularly in the first and third films. The rest was offensively stupid to me. It's very frustrating. :( I also think they ruined the Elves, except for Galadriel.

A Beren and Luthien book sounds very interesting. I'll have to look into it. :)
22084001gyulaonodi79
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by 22084001gyulaonodi79 »

As I know both book and movie are good but the question is does other people think the same? or does every people react the same way to the book rather then the movie. That's why they made a movie about the book but still different and to ask what they are thinking about it, what they know about it, and what they like dislike.
The porous of this to trick the people's mind bye asking more and more questions about the movie and the book to get their best answer and facts.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

The books are definitely better, but the movie trilogy is probably my favorite movie. Even despite the flaws that they have the movies manage to rise above them. That being said they are very different from the books, and it's a bit hard for me to put it into words. Tolkien was an academic by profession. He was a linguist and a philologist who studied the old myths. Lord of the Rings is much closer to those ancient stories than the modern fantasy books like Game of Thrones, and the movies don't capture that side of them.
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

The Lord of the Rings trilogy are box office hits. But the books are infinitely better. During the nineties, you can take your book to bed with you. Not so with movies. But now you can take both books and movies to bed using your tablet, smartphone, and/or kindle reader. I use Kindle Paperwhite.
memantar
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by memantar »

In one sentence. Book was way much better than the film
katiestardis
Currently Reading: Just Dreaming
Bookshelf Size: 336

Post by katiestardis »

If you judge the movies alone, they are amazing. The story flowed well, the graphics were cool, and the characters were well-developed. Having read the books, I know there was SO much missing, but I understood why they had to cut stuff out. If we're judging the books vs the movies, the books were infinitely better.
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickyoreo86.html
Latest Review: Cover Your Tracks, Leona Leitman by C. S. Johnson

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

Yes, in this case, I actually believe the films were better, or more rightly, as good as, the books. They are both amazing, but I love LOTR films to see what I envisioned in my imagination, play out on the screen. It was exactly how I pictured the books while reading. But I will turn on the films for a LOTR marathon before picking the books back up.
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
Jessiebessie123
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Jessiebessie123 »

Amazing read. But the movies were great. I loved that i read the books it gave me depth and insight into the movie.
annadorina
Bookshelf Size: 33

Post by annadorina »

Books are better
Bookworm39
Favorite Book: To Tempt a Knight
Currently Reading: to seduce a knight
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm39.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Bookworm39 »

The movie
Paulina castang
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Paulina castang »

I can watch the Lord of the ring over and over. Movie is a must see. Had me crying for frodo.He was the one who had to save everyone from dying.
cstegmil
Currently Reading: Raven's Fall
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cstegmil.html
Latest Review: "Of Elven Blood" by Leslie Fish

Post by cstegmil »

Its one of my favorite movie series, and very well done. But, books are better. You get so much more depth that no matter how good the movies are, just can't match it.
Latest Review: "Of Elven Blood" by Leslie Fish
Nina Butler
Currently Reading: rubies
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nina-butler.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Nina Butler »

I would have to say that the books are better for the simple fact that a lot of stuff was taken out of the movie. I know they have time constraints and only so much money to work with. That being said the movies were phenomenal the won a lot of Academy Awards, so there had to be something to them. At least having watched the movies you can give the characters more realistic faces.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I've read the three books and saw the three films. Both books and films were amazing though the films didn't include all the good stuff. That's understandable considering the cost involved.

Return to “Films and Books”