Lord of the Rings: Book vs Movie

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Re: Lord of the Rings: Book vs Movie

Post by EMoffat »

I have to say I prefer the movies, which feels like I am betraying the books. For me, the books were sometimes quite a struggle to read, and I just fell in love with the movies.
aldith
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by aldith »

They're both amazing. The casting was superb.
BookishBookkeeping
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishbookkeeping.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by BookishBookkeeping »

First, the books are amazing. Tolkien does such an excellent job of making an ancient history for England and even goes so far as to create new languages. Just reading them makes you realise the magnitude of what he did. Tolkien cannot be improved upon by any writer or artist. The rich and full characters, their histories, and their place in middle earth are a delight to the imagination and senses.

This being said the LOTR movies are to be appreciated in their own right just like the books. They are an exquisite work of art. Each scene masterfully crafted to bring middle earth before your eyes. I never get tired of watching them. In fact I've seen them way to many times to count. They are most enjoyable on a rainy day.

It is to difficult to decide between the two, but if I must I would go with the books. Books will always trump movies for me since they alone aren't limited in scope and time. Most of us aren't willing to watch an eight hour movie but most will read for eight hours and never notice the time. Books will always let you hear the characters thoughts. To actually be able to read someone else's mind. Movies have yet to make that possible.
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
booklover2004
Currently Reading: Sadie's Highlander
Bookshelf Size: 516
Reading Device: B00D02AHEO

Post by booklover2004 »

I love both the books and the movies. I read all the books first then watched the movies, a lot of times the movies will disappoint me but this trilogy didn't disappoint at all. If I had to choose which one was better it will always be the books but the movies were still great.
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I liked both the movies and the books, but the books were just a little bit better. When I started reading, I could not put the books down and the author's descriptions made me feel that I was there.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

I am a huge Tolkien fan. I love the book series. I will read anything by Tolkien. I also love the movies. Many people complain but I thought they were well done and enjoyed them immensely. I also am pretty laid back when it comes to movie adaptations.
NOVELYN LAPON
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by NOVELYN LAPON »

I only watch the Lord of the ring 1,hope to watch or read the others
Angela Stripes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 04073">The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf</a>
Currently Reading: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-stripes.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Angela Stripes »

I feel like a hypocrite. "Books are always better!"

Well, I saw the movies first. It's been years, they're my favorites. And... still haven't finished the books. I think I'm somewhere in the middle of The Two Towers? I'm ashamed.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Angela Stripes wrote:I feel like a hypocrite. "Books are always better!"

Well, I saw the movies first. It's been years, they're my favorites. And... still haven't finished the books. I think I'm somewhere in the middle of The Two Towers? I'm ashamed.
The books are quite a challenge to read because of the writing style (they were written in the 50s), and the myriad characters and place descriptions, plus the complex plot and the many poems and songs. But you definitely need to finish them. Then you can say, "What a fantastic and precious (don't forget this adjective!) tale!"

I compare these books to Shakespeare's works. Everybody knows they are great but they are such a struggle to read.
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads »

I didn't read the three books, just the first two, and they were everything i anticipated them to be, however this only happened after i watched the movie... and to be honest i don't find the movie missed that much. So i guess if i absolutely have to choose (just because my imagination does more for me than any director can) i'd choose the book.
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Angela Stripes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 04073">The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf</a>
Currently Reading: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-stripes.html

Post by Angela Stripes »

Miriam Molina wrote: The books are quite a challenge to read because of the writing style (they were written in the 50s), and the myriad characters and place descriptions, plus the complex plot and the many poems and songs. But you definitely need to finish them. Then you can say, "What a fantastic and precious (don't forget this adjective!) tale!"

I compare these books to Shakespeare's works. Everybody knows they are great but they are such a struggle to read.
True! I'm a little broken into reading 1800's English literature, but in a different genre.

Indeed. And I can only think that I have something to gain by finishing them. Thanks for the encouragement! :tiphat:
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emie Cuevas »

I loved both the books and the movie. What I did find annoying was when they released the extended version on Blu-ray, they didn't bother putting the whole movie onto one disc. I understand why they did it on the DVD's, not enough space. There is 10 times the space on a Blu-ray so they could have easily fitted it. I guess they didn't want to go to the expense of changing the format.
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
Orang-U-Can
Currently Reading: Encephlatron
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Orang-U-Can »

The films are classic cinema.
The books are too flowery.
Glad jo wiene ynteressant genôch om dit te oersetten!
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

I think that the story translated better onscreen. I know its an unpopular opinion,but those books put me to sleep.
Mario Vanesto
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Mario Vanesto »

I never read the books so I guess I can safely say I loved the movies ?. However, I'm pretty sure if I'd read the books first I probably wouldn't have loved the movies that much. I'm a very imaginative person sometimes I think I was born to be a director or producer ?. Anyways if what I imagined while reading a book doesn't play out in the movie I don't really enjoy it. In all, the movies were so great.

-- 26 Sep 2017, 16:14 --
Londera wrote:I think that the story translated better onscreen. I know its an unpopular opinion,but those books put me to sleep.
? I think I understand what you mean :D

Return to “Films and Books”