Harry Potter

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
cookiedough
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cookiedough.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben
fav_author_id: 1778

Re: Harry Potter

Post by cookiedough »

You're missing out on the HP books. If you enjoyed the movies, you will enjoy the books even more. The Fantastic Beasts series is a thrill to watch. The second movie in this series is my favorite so far.
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by lwahls2 »

The books far, far surpass the movies (which I will admit are also good). The musical score in the movies is part of what makes them so great. But absolutely nothing, and no one will ever convince me that the movies are better than the books. Despite all the drama Jk Rowling is going through right now in the public eye, she is a genius when it comes to writing. The twists and turns and even the descriptions are incredible.
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Songbird413
Currently Reading: The Un-Civil War
Bookshelf Size: 318

Post by Songbird413 »

I saw the films first and then went back and read the books. The books obviously had so much more depth and detail to them, but I also felt that the films were really well done.
AgentJay007
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Elfkin Journals: Blending of the Races
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by AgentJay007 »

I must admit, the movie did well. A little differences here and there, but they did the book a great justice ( well, if they had brought back Sirius, I wouldn't mind at all😉)
But the book still remains better than the movie, hands down!🙌
Zainabreadsnow
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainabreadsnow.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Zainabreadsnow »

That's understandable. The movies are just so well made that they don't leave you wanting more. But i would definitely recommend reading the books for all the parts that were left out of the movies. They add such charm to the rest of the story.
swaranjalishinde
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by swaranjalishinde »

Harry Potter is my most favorite book series. I mean..who doesn't like harry Potter?? I have read all 7 books , watched all 8 movies and also watched fantastic Beasts and where to find them and fantastic Beasts crimes of Grindelwald. It's really the most interesting book I've ever read.
PriyankaBeeput
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyankabeeput.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by PriyankaBeeput »

I also came into the Harry Potter books quite late in life and quite some time after I had watched the films. I know this is basically sacrilege, but I think I prefer the films (not saying their better, I just prefer them), perhaps it has to do with the nostalgia I feel towards the movies
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

The movies are great. But, dude!
The books are something else.
I still remember the moment I read about Sirius Black's death, it shook me.
From then onwards, parts 6 and 7, weren't any less powerful.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
RavingReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravingreads.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by RavingReads »

I ended up watching the movies before the books. I was afraid it would ruin the magic of the books. But it did not. If anything, reading the books after watching the movies made everything more magical.
Melexa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melexa.html
Latest Review: Colors of Love by Adeola Oyekola

Post by Melexa »

I have read a handful of the Harry Potter books, out of which, I've only watched Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

I never thought I would find another like me in this way! Love the movies, have yet to read the books. I really do not know why I haven’t. I really want to though. Soon!
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: A Date with Justice
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

I love both the books and the movies! I just think it's such a shame that they removed so many of the details in the movies that are in the books, it would just make it even more interesting, plus make Harry a lot more sassy than they made him in the movie.
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
DianaMich
Favorite Book: Seeker 5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianamich.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by DianaMich »

The books are amazing, you get a more in-depth view of the characters and the whole wizarding world. Hope you have already read them. c:
eamcmurray
Currently Reading: Anne Boleyn
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eamcmurray.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by eamcmurray »

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 04 Dec 2020, 18:02 I love both the books and the movies! I just think it's such a shame that they removed so many of the details in the movies that are in the books, it would just make it even more interesting, plus make Harry a lot more sassy than they made him in the movie.

I agree that they took away a lot of the Harry sass, they also lost a lot of Ron's character, which really upset me. There is so much more too him in the books. The fact that he was made a prefect when his literal greatest desire (as seen in the mirror or erised) was to one day be head boy was a huge oversight I think.
beatrice_mom
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by beatrice_mom »

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 04 Dec 2020, 18:02 I love both the books and the movies! I just think it's such a shame that they removed so many of the details in the movies that are in the books, it would just make it even more interesting, plus make Harry a lot more sassy than they made him in the movie.
Cuttings from the content are due to the timing of the film and of course the acting. After all, small children began to appear in films, who may not even be able to feel all the subtleties of the character. There is also a personal attitude of the director who makes the accents.

Return to “Films and Books”