Thirteen Reasons Why Netflix Series

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
indubitabubbly
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-indubitabubbly.html
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt

Re: Thirteen Reasons Why Netflix Series

Post by indubitabubbly »

I have not seen this and I didn't know it was a book. I have heard both sides of the coin on the series though and am intrigued.
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

I read the book and watched the show. I thought they both succeeded at getting people to talk about suicide, sexual assault, depression and bullying. I just don't know how they plan doing season 2 in the netflix series?
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I don't know how they plan on doing season 2 but I'm excited to see!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Veronica75
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 77

Post by Veronica75 »

I watched the whole episodes in season 1 it was great.
cherryalakei
Currently Reading: anita blake burnt offerings
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherryalakei.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by cherryalakei »

I have not read the book, which I heard is a little different. The show destroyed me, it was just one of those things that truly does what it is intended to do- affect you. I did a review of the show on my personal blog that talks about my feelings in depth while watching the show. I don't know if I could bring myself to read the book after watching it, but maybe one day I will bring myself to read it.
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

I read the book many years ago and liked it. I only watched a few episodes of the Netflix series. They played up the teenage drama too much for me. High school age people are loving the show, I guess I'm too old for that kind of thing.
GPM
Favorite Book: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gpm.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by GPM »

I watched Thirteen Reasons Why on Netflix. I was hooked by the good acting based on the trailer and was also curious about the whole story. It turned out to be a good series and I liked the lessons they want to communicate.
"A man learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people." - Will Rogers
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Delioness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delioness.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Post by Delioness »

I've watched the movie and though I'm not done reading the book, I think the movie is a whole lot better. Each side of the tape compises one episode which is actually so emotional and heart breaking. Notwithstanding some little variations from the book which can be negligible, the movie is a hit.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

I saw the series, but I haven't read the book. The performances were good, the plot and its unique format interesting, and the topics stuck. I found it quite good overall, although in the middle it became slow and boring to watch. Now, I can't tolerate the torture for which Hannah put Clay throughout the tapes. Suicide is, after all, a purely selfish action, and Hannah recognizes it in part, but I don't understand how she would do something like that to someone she cared so much. At times, it's difficult to become attached to the protagonist, apart from the particular drama that led her to make such a decision. The finale wasn't self-conclusive enough and I can't see how they will pull through a second season...
jessicam0119
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessicam0119.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by jessicam0119 »

I watched the Netflix series and found deeply moving, and frightening. I sat crying for all of the children going through stuff like this and much worse. I actually didn't realize the series is based off a book, I will be definitely in search of it.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Mking1995
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mking1995 »

I have not watched it because I was unaware of its creation. However I am now going to watch it because I am so excited
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

I read the book years ago and ended up watching the first season of the series. As far as continuing the series, they'll just have to write new material
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

Haven't read the book yet... but I somehow like its tv series version on Netflix. I was hooked from episode one until the last episode. The story was somewhat engaging but I just don't approve of the female lead character's decision on taking her own life in the end... she was very close to her parents right? Then why not open up to them first before making any drastic decision?... just saying...
lindsaysherlock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsaysherlock.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by lindsaysherlock »

I read the book a long time ago, I think I was 13, and I really enjoyed it. I know the show has gotten a lot of controversy over the content, but I think it's a really interesting show. Definitely binge-worthy.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

I have read the book, yes. But I have not seen a single episode of the TV series. I was actually surprised when I heard they turned it into a Netflix series.

Return to “Films and Books”