Thirteen Reasons Why Netflix Series

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Vanessa1234
Currently Reading: Too Like the Lightning
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Thirteen Reasons Why Netflix Series

Post by Vanessa1234 »

I already read the book "Thirteen Reasons Why" by Jay Asher. I really like it. So Im looking forward to watch the movie in Netflix series. It is so exciting! 😊
scratchcat318
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scratchcat318.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by scratchcat318 »

I watched the Netflix adaptation and loathed it. I couldn't stand most of the characters and I found the whole thing to be insanely overdramatic and unrealistic. And I haven't even watched the second season yet, which I have heard is far worse. I bought the book a short time ago but haven't gotten to it yet. I'm just praying it's better than the show.
Philosophicalbread1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Philosophicalbread1 »

I haven’t read the book so I can’t tell you if Netflix did justice to the story. I’ve only watched the TV show and I didn’t really like the story. I’m sorry for this review. I think all of the characters are immature. Especially Clay Jensen. He was always brushing his mother off like she’s a nuisance. I think he was being very disrespectful. So yeah, I didn’t really understand the hype on it.
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

I have the book and read it a few years ago. When I heard it was becoming a series I had no interest in watching it. Even now, I just want to leave it at the book. I don't know why, but I don't really want to expand the universe of it. 🤔🤔 If that makes sense.
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
Burgundy1991
Currently Reading: Poldark
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-burgundy1991.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Burgundy1991 »

I read Thirteen Reasons Why years ago. It reminds me slightly of An Inspector Calls. It makes the reader consider how something small they do can still have consequences.

I thought the first season of the TV series was OK. It changed some parts of course (what adaptation doesn't?!), and I think a film would've have been better than a series (I got fed up of Clay taking so long to listen to all the tapes, spreading it across 13 episodes). I wasn't too keen on the second season though, which I stopped watching when the plot seemed so unlike the plot: not just different/adapted, but not canon at all!
catherinecsoto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherinecsoto.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by catherinecsoto »

To be honest, when they announced that 13 Reasons Why was gonna be a series, I got so excited. I jumped into reading the book right away so I could see when I watch the show if it was given justice. Let me tell you, it wasn’t. I was watching Clay and went, “This isn’t Clay. Please release the real Clay. This is just a bad version of him.”

I didn’t finish the show anymore since it’s not worth it. People who finished it were talking about the triggering graphics in the show. It was just disappointing. The announcement of a season 2 was just even more disappointing and, according to sources, more graphic. Y’all are not helping raise awareness here. It’s sad.
Lawrence_ecnerwal

Post by Lawrence_ecnerwal »

You should really watch it but I suggest you read the book first before watching the series itself. In the series they changed up the story a little bit.
dianabooks
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by dianabooks »

I did read the book and I think that season one was an accurate adaptation.
Hollyrobb42
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollyrobb42.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Hollyrobb42 »

I watched the first season and tried to watch the second season but I had to stop. I think one season was enough. Preferred the books as well, but the first season wasn’t the worst.
“I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library”
sam_jennifer_may
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-jennifer-may.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by sam_jennifer_may »

I have both read the book and watched the series. The series is good. But the book is incredible. I don’t feel like any film every does justice to a book. My friends who have not read the book all think the series is amazing, but I think Jay Asher creates such a vivid world that casting of any of the characters was never going to live up to my imagination.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

I really enjoyed the season 1, but they didn't have much to talk about in the second season.
spellbindingstories
Currently Reading: Across the Universe (Across the Universe #1)
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by spellbindingstories »

I started watching the television series but I stopped. Its not that it was bad, but I just liked the book a hundred times more. While the book took place over one night, the show really stretches listening to the tapes over a long period of time which doesn't really work for me. I guess I just prefer the book.
Rawan Alamin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rawan-alamin.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Rawan Alamin »

Am i the only one who's surprised that there's a book?? I've watched the two seasons of the series and i had no idea that it's originally a book! The series though was outstanding and realistic, it makes the person feel captivated by the events and what's going through their lives and you can actually relate to them. Sounds like Netflix did a good job there. For sure i am going to read this book and i hope i don't feel disappointed by the series then :lol:
AnnaKathleen
Currently Reading: Kill Them All
Bookshelf Size: 1085
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by AnnaKathleen »

Lawrence_ecnerwal wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 11:19 You should really watch it but I suggest you read the book first before watching the series itself. In the series they changed up the story a little bit.
I agree, the book is great and the show is not bad, but I wasn't a huge fan. They changed a few things, but I thought they were kind of important.
Last edited by AnnaKathleen on 14 Jan 2019, 10:14, edited 1 time in total.
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury
AnnaKathleen
Currently Reading: Kill Them All
Bookshelf Size: 1085
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by AnnaKathleen »

Rawan Alamin wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 06:39 Am i the only one who's surprised that there's a book?? I've watched the two seasons of the series and i had no idea that it's originally a book! The series though was outstanding and realistic, it makes the person feel captivated by the events and what's going through their lives and you can actually relate to them. Sounds like Netflix did a good job there. For sure i am going to read this book and i hope i don't feel disappointed by the series then :lol:
No, there's plenty of people who don't know. I've had some friends who ended up disappointed by the changes between the book and show, and others who enjoyed the changes. I also have a friend who refuses to read the book now at all :lol:
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury

Return to “Films and Books”