How long?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Major
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Galaxy</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Resurrection
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-major.html
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas

How long?

Post by Major »

How long do you give a bad book and film before you sack it?
I give a book forty pages, a film twenty minutes.
'the wind of time is blowing through me and it's all relative, to me, it's all a figment of my mind, in a world that I've designed, I'm charged with cosmic energy, has the world gone mad or is it me?'
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I think it varies for me. If I'm reading it for my book club, I keep on reading even if I'm not into it. Same for reviews, for the most part. Just for fun, a couple of chapters. Movies? At the theater, I don't walk out. At home, if hubby is into it and I'm not, I just pick up a book and read while he watches the rest of it.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I don't usually give up on any book or film that I start. I always give the benefit of the doubt. Or maybe I have not encountered something that really sucks.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

For a book, it's something like three chapters or an hour of reading. In the past, I didn't like to quit on books, but now I'm less forgiving. Life is just too short to waste on bad books.

As for movies, I don't really have any rules. Unless it becomes offensive, I'll usually keep watching even if it's not that good.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I trudge forward with most books but I can stop reading a book at any time point.That is so unlike the younger me (mind you I'm not even 22 yet but I'm speaking like an old man).
I can only recall one movie that I stopped watching after about 15 minutes - Guardians of the Galaxy - I found a blatant error in the script that made the characters seem so dumb that I instantly gave up on it.
Major
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Galaxy</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Resurrection
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-major.html

Post by Major »

AliceofX wrote: Life is just too short to waste on bad books. As for movies, I don't really have any rules. Unless it becomes offensive, I'll usually keep watching even if it's not that good.
I'm surprised more people have not given the same response as you.
You're right, reading a bad book is a waste of time and it's better to try a different one.
I feel the same way about a bad film though.
'the wind of time is blowing through me and it's all relative, to me, it's all a figment of my mind, in a world that I've designed, I'm charged with cosmic energy, has the world gone mad or is it me?'
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

If I do not like a movie, I give it twenty minutes. If I do not like a book I will keep reading it especially if it is for the book club. Thankfully I have not come across a bad book yet, but I know that one day it will come.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

I usually don't give up. There are times when the book seems impossible to finish but I am always worried that there will be a twist and I will miss out. I can't handle not finishing a book. It drives me crazy.
Harmony Hills
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harmony-hills.html
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh

Post by Harmony Hills »

Ranging from 1/3 to 1/4 of both. But there's this movie, that has a really boring start, but still i was eager to watch it because it has good reviews and keep on telling myself "You can do this" up until i finished it and did not regret having watched it. The title is Interstellar and ghad! It was awesome!
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by bookiegalke »

I don't think I would get to 40 pages, may be I would do 5 pages. for a movie, it would be 20 minutes
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

I always finish movies and books i start.
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

I dont watch as many movies, and when I do, it is because it comes highly recommended. As a result, I sit through most movies and only stop if I hate it.

Books, I generally give about 4-5 chapters before I make a call.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
Angela Stripes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 04073">The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf</a>
Currently Reading: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-stripes.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Angela Stripes »

Jaime Lync wrote:I trudge forward with most books but I can stop reading a book at any time point.That is so unlike the younger me (mind you I'm not even 22 yet but I'm speaking like an old man).
I can only recall one movie that I stopped watching after about 15 minutes - Guardians of the Galaxy - I found a blatant error in the script that made the characters seem so dumb that I instantly gave up on it.
The only reasons I sat through Guardians of the Galaxy: 1) I paid for it 2) I kept hoping it would get better, or there'd be something that would hook me in... and then the ending crushed all hope.

But overall, something has to really put me off (inappropriate) for me to close a book and not pick it back up. If that happens, there are no second chances. Like previously stated, life's too short. The real test is, once I set it down, will I pick it back up? Am I able to put it down at all?
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

I had a book where I felt the language being used was very offensive and degrading. I only got a few chapters in before I had to put it down. Then I had a really bad day at work and finished that book in one weekend. Sometimes the right book just needs to be read under the right conditions.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

Well, for me, I have what I refer to as a 'completion spirit'. Unfortunately, I don't stop reading a book or watching a movie even if it's bad until I just can't anymore due to reasons I can't avoid. That's why I do proper research into movies I want to see before seeing them.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot

Return to “Films and Books”