Thoughts on books becoming tv shows/movies?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.

Do you like having your favourite books developed for the screen?

yes absolutely!
71%
no, leave it alone!
29%

Total votes: 7

Ambar Gill
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Finale
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ambar-gill.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 42%

Thoughts on books becoming tv shows/movies?

Post by Ambar Gill »

I know I can't be the only one who always has an opinion when an announcement is made that so and so book is being developed for the screen. I think it can work for some books but not every book needs its own time on Netflix(or whatever your preferred streaming platform is). Sometimes, if not most times, it's better left alone! but that could just be me, what do you guys think?? Personally, I like to gatekeep my beloved book worlds but maybe I'm just being dramatic.
Ambar Gill :angelic-flying:
Elizabeth-Tush4Christ
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-tush4christ.html
Latest Review: Army Life by Darryl Jefferson
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by Elizabeth-Tush4Christ »

I love that some of the films/movies have been able to capture moments and I get excited when the author's words are well projected via the movies it brings the characters to life. However, there have been instances where the movies don't portray the characters as they should, it can feel disappointing.
Kirti Saraff
Currently Reading: A Walk to Remember
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirti-saraff.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Kirti Saraff »

I feel when you see yout imagination come to life on screen makes the watch so worth it. There are times when it doesnt match our expectations but to be able to view what you visualise while reading is a whole different experience.
Tobi Adefila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobi-adefila.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Tobi Adefila »

I have no issue with books becoming Tv show. But I feel if u're going to make an adaptation of a book it should at least be detailed and worth watching.
Rose Angela
Favorite Author: Lisa Kleypas
Favorite Book: God of Wrath
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 5547

Post by Rose Angela »

Adaptations of books into TV shows or movies can be a mixed bag, they offer the opportunity to explore beloved stories in new ways and introduce them to a broader audience. When done well, adaptations can complement the original material and provide a fresh perspective on familiar narratives. Ultimately, the success of an adaptation often depends on the skill of the filmmakers, the faithfulness to the source material, and the ability to capture the essence of what made the book compelling in the first place.
Cindy Belle
Currently Reading: Misery
Bookshelf Size: 216
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by Cindy Belle »

I feel like books becoming tv shows or movies ends up popularizing the book and author by making the plots more accessable to people who don't like reading as much. I always find it interesting to be able to talk about the differences between the two, and see how the directors visualize my favorite characters.
Maria Lepre
Favorite Author: Umberto Eco
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-lepre.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
fav_author_id: 3190

Post by Maria Lepre »

Transposing a book into a film or TV series is not easy, and above all it cannot work for all books. There are details that are lost, others that are added, and without the author of the book to help you risk inventing too much compared to the book. This does not mean that there are beautiful adaptations of books that work (in my opinion) even better than the books
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
human reader
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by human reader »

The first Narnia movie (Wardrobe) translated beautifully to screen, even if some minor details were lost or changed. Some adaptations have more significant changes like Dune... but are still better than a lot of movies.
Joy Habuya
Currently Reading: The Maidens
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-habuya.html
Latest Review: Not Dead Yet by Mark Fletcher
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 105%

Post by Joy Habuya »

I think it's exciting to see characters you love jump off the page and onto the screen but sometimes adaptations have to change things from the book to fit the format of a movie or TV show and this can be pretty frustrating especially when you're attached or invested in the original story. Also books allow readers to imagine characters and settings in their own minds while a movie or TV show might not match everyone's individual vision, which can be disappointing.
Laiman Mmnto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Laiman Mmnto »

Well, I would never rejected a book becoming a motion picture. It's always interesting to see them characters portrayed on the screen, also the background scenes. Nevertheless, it would always change how you feel about the book later, instead of the picture you first imagined, the film would definitely replace them. And it's always a challenge when you haven't read the book but the film has came out, i.e., to wait until you read the book first.

Moreover, the logic behind it is what the purpose of watching when you have read it.

Return to “Films and Books”