Age Inconsistency in Casting

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
DragonLight877
Favorite Author: Patrick Rothfuss
Favorite Book: The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonlight877.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov
fav_author_id: 3201

Re: Age Inconsistency in Casting

Post by DragonLight877 »

I think that as long as the actor or actress looks like a teenager its fine. A lot of people bring up the issue where if there is a particularly graphic scene they can't cast anyone under the age of 18, and that makes sense. But over all I really wish the actors and actresses at least looked closer to the age they were supposed to be.
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

I think if it's purely for range of an actor, and it doesn't change the plot too much, it's fine. However, when something important to the plot changes, like making Harry's parents and Severus look older than they were supposed to be, it takes away from the idea that they were supposed to do what happened young.
cookiedough
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cookiedough.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by cookiedough »

Whoever is talented for the job should get it. As long as it's not two decades apart, it's ok. Sometimes there may not be the perfect fit for the job in terms of age for the character. If there is some close in range that can bring the character to life, he/she should get the part.
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

I’m in two minds about this. I think having 20 year old playing teenagers leads to a misconception for teens about what they should look like and this is very toxic. However, putting teens into the industry can be damaging to them as well. Its hard to walk the line.
White Dragon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by White Dragon »

The age difference is only a problem when it becomes agonizingly obvious. Most of the time, you won't notice a thing. Some people look too young for their age and vice versa.

Finding a good Actor who suits the role is a difficulty in itself. Hence, Age becomes just a number. Us viewers can only get used to it. *Sigh*
a_r_egerton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-r-egerton.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by a_r_egerton »

The 1970s movie Grease is an infamous example of teenagers being played by much older actors. Stockard Channing, for example, was around 34 when she played the character Rizzo -- who was supposed to be a high school senior. Olivia Newton-John, who played the female lead Sandy, was 30 or close to it, while John Travolta was around 23 or 24.
Georgephilips
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgephilips.html
Latest Review: Finding Jehovah by Azrael Levi

Post by Georgephilips »

Falling4Ever wrote: 16 May 2020, 20:20 I think if it's purely for range of an actor, and it doesn't change the plot too much, it's fine. However, when something important to the plot changes, like making Harry's parents and Severus look older than they were supposed to be, it takes away from the idea that they were supposed to do what happened young.
Exactly!
_claudi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by _claudi_ »

It does matter because the energy of a certain age bracket might not match that of a different age bracket.
monserrat_21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monserrat-21.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by monserrat_21 »

I used to think they did that because it was hard to find young talented actors, but after seeing movies and shows where teenagers were played by actual teenagers, like Stranger Things, Julie and the Phantoms, It, I realize that it's not true and now it bothers me. Especially because you grow up thinking that's how you're supposed to look when you are fifteen or sixteen years old! I've noticed directors have started casting younger actors now and it makes me happy they are giving them the chance to represent their age group!
“That’s the thing about books. They let you travel without moving your feet.”

Jhumpa Lahiri
theprakriti
Currently Reading: The Glass Hotel
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theprakriti.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by theprakriti »

Yeah. Twenty plus aged people are being casted for teen movies and they end up looking like college students rather than high school students. Like Noah Centineo In All the Boys I've loved before is so out of the league. He is handsome and all but too older for a high school look.
Sarah Nichols 7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-nichols-7.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall

Post by Sarah Nichols 7 »

I don’t think it’s an issue if the 23 year old looks like a 16 year old. For example, I am 27 and I’m told all the time that I look between 16-20. If they have the baby face, it works. It does annoy me when the 23 year old who is supposed to be playing a teenager, does not look like a teenager.
a_r_egerton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-r-egerton.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by a_r_egerton »

Another related problem is having characters who are supposed to be around the same age played by actors of obviously different ages. For example, the 2007 movie "Ghostrider" cast Nicolas Cage and Eva Mendes as childhood sweethearts -- which suggests their characters should be roughly the same age. Cage was actually 10 years older than Mendes -- and looked it. Oops.
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

I think it can be really problematic especially for young adults and teenagers that will begin to wonder why they don't look the people representing them on the screen.
fridamadrid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fridamadrid.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by fridamadrid »

Personally, I don't like it.
I used to not care about it but then I realized it made me have weird perceptions on age.
Also, it made my expectations be very unrealistic. And I don't see why they can't just cast people that are between a certain, smaller age range.
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

It would be good if teen roles were acted by teen actors. It would be more realistic that way and I am sure there are good enough actors for the roles.

Return to “Films and Books”