Monkey Man?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Ambar Gill
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Finale
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ambar-gill.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 42%

Monkey Man?

Post by Ambar Gill »

I just saw Dev Patel's directorial debut "Monkey Man" last night and I have a lot to say. First of all, as a South Asian, the representation was amazing! I felt so seen and finally had a cool character who looked like me, on the screen. The action was amazing and the way it was shot and choreographed was incredibly well done. The story was interesting and the elements of Hindu mythology throughout, added beautifully to the movie. I really loved it and was wondering how many of you were going to go see it? If you're on the fence, I definitely recommend it, if not for the reasons I mentioned above, then solely because Dev Patel is Indian John Wick and that is enough reason.
Ambar Gill :angelic-flying:
human reader
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by human reader »

For me the mythology aspect and tying that in was the best part. How it introduces the audience to Hanuman, creating a parallel between Hanuman and Dev's character, which is further cemented with Dev wearing the mask when he boxes. Also, the symbolism of the villain or villains paralleling Ravana, who takes Sita in the Ramayana epic. There's a lot of little things that made it unique compared to similar action movies. It'd be nice if he made a sequel.

Return to “Films and Books”