Which do you enjoy more: Anime or Manga

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Indiana Stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Re: Which do you enjoy more: Anime or Manga

Post by Indiana Stone »

I prefer anime more cause I'm a visual person so I like seeing things happen than reading and looking at pictures of what happens in mangas.
Sahar Majid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahar-majid.html
Latest Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by Sahar Majid »

I started out with anime, and I like it just a bit more because animation in general really fascinates me (i also just find it a bit more convenient to watch). I feel like anime appeals to me aesthetically as well for example I'd rather watch Violet Evergarden than read it.
I don't mind Manga though, they have their own charm to them. I particularly enjoy Manhwa's (which are Korean Mangas I guess) and they don't really have anime on them so series like CUBE: The Dice That Changes Everything and Ties of Compassion, I have to read and I don't really mind doing that; the story lines are brilliant.
nomadmadi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by nomadmadi »

I like manga for the story, but watch anime for the fights and sometimes the emotion.
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by M Zee »

This depends entirely on the story. Sometimes I want something short and with a definitive ending. Other times, I don't mind read through literal years worth of backstory to follow along a plot. Anime is more satisfying (for me) when the series are shorter - like Cowboy Bebop or Kill la Kill. I get bored with longer running series (which are a lot based on original manga ) and feel like sometimes the story is too drawn out and has too much filler to be satisfying.
I was born with a reading list I will never finish.
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

Most of the times, I prefer manga because the drawing was way more detailed (I do not particularly care about the color part). The story line is often more intricate and well-woven with more character developments and plot explanations. However, when it comes to action and adventure genres, the lively and fast-paced animations will be more interesting to watch.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
xxBadWolfxx
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xxbadwolfxx.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by xxBadWolfxx »

I do really enjoy and love them both. The action in anime, for me at least, have been more interesting and vivid. I also see in animes that they add some "stories" or episodes that were not in the manga. I do agree however that in mangas you can control the pace. I also love the art style of manga. I think I may enjoy anime just a little more.
HRichards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Yeh-shen by Ray Simmons

Post by HRichards »

I generally like the manga better for the simple reason that they are often more developed than the anime are, with more depth of character and plot lines.
SSJ2RADITZ
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SSJ2RADITZ »

I myself can't decide because the thing is that I like the manga due to being able to follow along and read at my own pace, but I also like the anime because to me you get more emotion than in the manga and that's just amplified with great dub actors and actresses like Todd Haberkorn and Colleen Clinkenbeard. So in the end it's very hard for me to decide which one I like more.
kyri45
Currently Reading: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by kyri45 »

It really depens. Some most recent anime are fine, but i am more a retro kind of person, so the more it seems old to me, the more i appreciate. Also it seems that in the last decade most of the stories in general are just all the same. Fan service has taken over the plot of a lot of anime and manga and i just can't like anime anymore. I still have a found bond with the older ones, like 1/2 Manga (which still have a LOT of fan service, but it's used decently)
rizzie321
Currently Reading: Avenged
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by rizzie321 »

If there was an option for both I'd say both but since I have to pick one I'll say anime. If you are new to the anime/manga world I recommend you watch some sort of anime first so you can get a bit of an idea before reading manga.
Louanne Piccolo
Currently Reading: A Judegement in Stone
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louanne-piccolo.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Louanne Piccolo »

It's not really answering the question, but I wanted to say that I don't enjoy either really. I'm not sure what it is about both of them - or maybe it's me? Probably too old-fashioned. I just can't get into them.
It's likely I will die next to a pile of things I was meaning to read - Lemony Snicket
boardj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boardj.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by boardj »

Man that's a tough choice!!! I would probably have to say the manga because the majority of the time, there's a lot more story info in there than the anime. Art-wise it depends, but in this aspect, I would go with anime.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I think I like manga more. There's just so much more nuance because it's not restricted by the strictures of tv, though I do enjoy when an anime takes just enough liberties to make a story fresh. Sometimes the filler arcs are even better than the manga too.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

Hard to say. Sometimes the anime is more beautiful than the original manga. In addition, the anime has music and color.
However, the creators of the anime sometimes change the plot of the original manga.
amsula_2018
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amsula-2018.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by amsula_2018 »

I prefer anime if it follows the manga but those animes with a lot filler like bleach, fairy tail and one piece, sometimes pisses me off and I often resort in reading the manga instead.
"If you can't reduce your argument to a few crisp words and phrases,
there's something wrong with your argument." ~ M. Saatchi

Return to “Films and Books”