Would you prefer a book to a movie

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
elderwand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 565

Re: Would you prefer a book to a movie

Post by elderwand »

If the movie is done well and ends up better than the book, I prefer the movie. Being able to visually experience it can bring the story alive in a way a book can't compete with.
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

Personally, i prefer reading the book first. For me, reading a book is like enjoying the aromatic smell of your food before eating it. A lot of small, but essential details could be lost in movies.
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

I'd be must more likely to go with the book! Much more detail, background, and emotions can be written into a book than can be portrayed in a movie.
Steekira
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steekira.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Steekira »

It really depends for me. I think films and movies are their own separate mediums, so comparing the two can be difficult since they both tell stories in very different ways. My sister had a video topic about that once, and I agree with a lot of the points she made.
For me, I'd have to say I weigh it on a case by case basis, whether I preferred a written version of a story or a visual telling. For the first book of Harry Potter for example, I liked them both equally. For one of my favorite series, Hikaru no Go, I prefer the manga over the anime (mostly because I like the art quality a bit better). But, that's just me.
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

Eniefiok wrote: 17 Oct 2017, 01:15 If you are given a book to read about a story and the movie to watch, will you rather read the book or watch the movie.
I feel like it really depends on what sort of mood I'm in. I love seeing both perspectives as well. So, it's likely no matter which one I do first, I'll end up doing the other as well. There have been a few movies or shows though that I couldn't finish watching because of how different they were from the books. I just couldn't enjoy them because they were essentially not even the same story anymore.
Adeqyms09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Adeqyms09 »

I will prefer a book to a movie any day any time
Taylor Danvers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-danvers.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Taylor Danvers »

I prefer movies because they take up less time but in the case where the book is better than the movie I prefer books.
:happy-cheerleaderkid: :text-feedback: :text-welcomeconfetti:
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Joe Hadithi »

Book. At least then I have control of the fictional world. But I always try and see the movie for comparison (I am vain like that).
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Evince
Currently Reading: House of Eire
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evince.html
Latest Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies by Mernegar Dorgoly

Post by Evince »

Never! I prefer a film to a book because i got visuals and imaginations rallying over my head when i watch movies.
SomeRando345

Post by SomeRando345 »

Most of the time I would prefer books over movies cause sometime movies would cut out the little details of the character development, or completely change the character into something he/she/it is not. For example, Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children changed Emma's power into floating instead of cire manipulation.
OllyMira
Currently Reading: Heartaches
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ollymira.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by OllyMira »

Reading a book is more exciting than watching a movie. It takes your whole attention and you won't even notice time sliping away.
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

I would prefer a book cause i always look for more details and a movie can't provide enough details to satisfy my ever confused mind😀
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
Jellybean101
Currently Reading:

Post by Jellybean101 »

I usually like books more than movies because books go into more detail. Also you can make your own characters and how things happen.
rachel_bm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by rachel_bm »

The book wins all the time. I'd rather have my imagination run wild than it being desensitized. Not that it happnes with everyone, but it does happen to me.
Salma M
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-m.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Salma M »

I would read the book then watch the movie, have the best of both worlds but i hate it when the movie fails to fully translate the message and direction the book was following,in the end making a good book seem flat and lacking structure.

Return to “Films and Books”