Would you prefer a book to a movie

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Flora Posh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flora-posh.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Re: Would you prefer a book to a movie

Post by Flora Posh »

I prefer a movie than a book. Because a movie illustrate better
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Ayesha Faraz
Currently Reading: Before the Coffee Gets Cold
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayesha-faraz.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Ayesha Faraz »

Books or movies? Both are captivating in their own ways. Movies impress with visuals and thrilling adventures, while books ignite our imagination with rich characters and intricate plots. Movies please our eyes, but books touch our souls, transporting us to new worlds through the power of words. I pick books! :techie-studyingbrown:
Tammy Grey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammy-grey.html
Latest Review: Not Dead Yet by Mark Fletcher

Post by Tammy Grey »

I prefer a good book to a movie.
Nyakinyua96
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nyakinyua96 »

Watching is more fun but when it comes to have every detail, a book serve better.
Nyaguthii njanja

Post by Nyaguthii njanja »

A book always hits the best compared to a movie. Howevers if the movie has actors that really understand their roles an can fit good with the characters in the book,then it's worth it to watch the movie.
Arcenio Ogues
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arcenio-ogues.html
Latest Review: life.............connected by jacksel

Post by Arcenio Ogues »

I would love to read the book first and then watch the movie. If I do it the other way around it might ruin my expectation for either the book or the movie. If I watch the movie first, it's like a spoiler to the book. And usually, the movie version already has changes, revised versions, and even omissions. Plus, reading the book as the author wrote the story is much better.
Sheza Akbar
Favorite Book: A Dream For Peace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheza-akbar.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Sheza Akbar »

aspiringvoice27 wrote: 06 Nov 2017, 15:00 I prefer book rather than movie cause even small details of the story is written,,but in the movie..only the importamt part...cause need to maximize for the time frame
I agree. Sometimes, when they turn books into movies, they leave out important details, which can be frustrating. :?
“The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive.” ― John Green, Looking for Alaska
Sheza Akbar
Favorite Book: A Dream For Peace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheza-akbar.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Sheza Akbar »

Arcenio Ogues wrote: 10 Aug 2023, 00:39 I would love to read the book first and then watch the movie. If I do it the other way around it might ruin my expectation for either the book or the movie. If I watch the movie first, it's like a spoiler to the book. And usually, the movie version already has changes, revised versions, and even omissions. Plus, reading the book as the author wrote the story is much better.
After reading the novel, I can't enjoy the movie as much. The changes and things left out really affect the experience for me. "The Book Thief" and then seeing the movie trailer. I couldn't bring myself to watch it because it seemed like the book's magic might not translate well to the screen. I believe capturing the essence of a book in a movie is a difficult task. :tiphat:
“The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive.” ― John Green, Looking for Alaska
BookAddikt
Favorite Book: The Black Dagger Brotherhood
Currently Reading: The Law of Unintended Consequences
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by BookAddikt »

Well to be honest I read the Fifty Shades of Grey books before the movies came out and honestly I didnt like the movies at all. I find books are more descriptive than the movies are and of course you cant fit everything in the book in a movie.
As for the Hunger Games and Divergent trilogies. I Read those books before the movies and I enjoyed the movies too
But as for Game of Thrones. I watched the series long before I decided to start reading the books and unfortunately, I couldnt read them. Im not entirely sure why but I remember thinking it felt like a chore to read them when I had already known what the story so far. But is the last book out yet I wonder? I remember the TV producers had to come up with their own take on what happens at the end even though the book hadnt finished..
Sahoor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahoor.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Sahoor »

Personally, I enjoy watching the movie if I already read the book. My best experience has been in the Harry Potter series. I watched the movies after finishing the books. Watching the movie can be thrilling but to get into more tiny details about scenes that are too mystical, the book has to be read. However, every book has a different style and story so I can't choose without experiencing but personally, I enjoy watching the movie first.
Embrace the glorious mess that you are - Elizabeth Gilbert
Runan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 150%

Post by Runan »

I would prefer to read a book than watch its adaptation made into a movie. The reason being, books are more expressive and have vivid descriptions, which increases one’s creativity and brain activity. Also, most films don’t do justice to the books. But if one wants to spend less time, then a film serves that purpose.
Runan
Steve Rahim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by Steve Rahim »

If its something I really find interesting, I would want as much details as possible. Only a book can provide this.

However, if the subject was not that interesting, it would be better as a movie,as it would go faster.
Teto teto 1989

Post by Teto teto 1989 »

I prefer not to convert books into movies, especially if the book contains very deep ideas. It is very difficult to accurately replicate the reader's mind because the novel allows space for thinking and the reader's imagination. In the case of a movie, it is the director's imagination that is presented.
Cheshta Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheshta-sharma.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Cheshta Sharma »

If I know what I am getting into and know a bit about the synopsis and ratings I would choose to rate the book. Because I would want to read what came first before I watch the movie adaption. Though, like someone else mentioned it's harder to read a bad book than watch a bad movie. So, if I am unaware of what I am getting into I would prefer the movie then read the book.
Gams0812
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven!
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gams0812.html

Post by Gams0812 »

Eniefiok wrote: 17 Oct 2017, 01:15 If you are given a book to read about a story and the movie to watch, will you rather read the book or watch the movie.
I'd definitely prefer the book.

Return to “Films and Books”