Anyone into musicals?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
spirituallove
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirituallove.html
Latest Review: The Judge part 1 and 2 by Ian RB Morris

Re: Anyone into musicals?

Post by spirituallove »

Totally_tubular wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 13:29 The first musical/movie ibsaw was west side story and I was hooked. I'd love to see one irl one day
I absolutely love West Side Story! It's one of my favourite musicals. As a child I watched Annie over and over and over again. I recently saw Phantom of the Opera and it was brilliant.
Blu1983
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30

Post by Blu1983 »

I saw a few musicals, Sound of music stands out the most. The character Maria was Angelic. There are so many songs i recall. In my singing voice,"the hills are alive with the sound of music..." or "do a deer a femal deer, ray a drop of golden sun, me a name i call myself..."

The sounds has been entrenched in my mind.
Felicity Granger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity-granger.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Felicity Granger »

I love musicals. Though to be honest I didn't really get into them until, embarrassingly, I watched High School Musical. After that I kinda got hooked on them. I watched Rent, Glee, The Greatest Showman, Chicago and love the Disney animated films, specifically Moana.
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

I love musicals! I am a dance teacher so it’s in my blood. Also I am heading to New York next week to see a bunch of broadway shows and I am unbelievably excited.
xjulirenae
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by xjulirenae »

Musicals are the BEST. I am absolutely in love with all of them, Broadway or high-school production. My favorites include but are not limited to Hamilton, Wicked, Newsies, Dear Evan Hansen, Les Miserables, Mamma Mia, The Lion King, literally any Disney anything, etc. I enjoy the music the most, and I have only seen Wicked, Newsies, and Mamma Mia in person. Musicals are my flipping life.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Post by LeDiplomatique »

Musicals are my favorite.
imaginarilily
Currently Reading: The Perfect Storm

Post by imaginarilily »

I love musicals! I love it more when they're adapted from books rather than movies- in my opinion adaptations from movies have to really add something, or have really good music in order to be worth seeing, after all why bother seeing something you could put on the tv. My personal favorites are the ones with better music (because I mostly listen to soundtracks) such as Man of La Mancha, Spies are Forever, and Phantom of the Opera.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

I rarely find musicals that are up to my taste, the only one I have liked so far is the greatest showman.
srs74
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srs74.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by srs74 »

Into the Woods is my favorite musical. I am NOT talking about the movie adaptation; that was a monstrosity. You definitely need to watch the stage production. Most musicals should only be stage productions. There is the RARE occurrence one can be modified for T.V./movie, but most adaptations turn out to be mediocre at best.
BlueDolphin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluedolphin.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by BlueDolphin »

I can’t remember the first musical I ever saw. I grew up with so many, literally—the Shirley Temple movies over and over again (if not everyday a little girl), I remember watching Grease at least once as a little girl, I was obsessed with The Wizard of Oz, the Disney Princess movies, and then there was High School Musical.

But yeah, I LOVE musicals. It wasn’t until I was older, though, that I watched The Phantom of the Opera (😍 the music gave me shivers, it’s a masterpiece), and The Sound of Music (which I wasn’t allowed to watch by my dad, ‘cause of the setting...y’know, Germany, Nazis. I don’t think he’s even seen it 🙄 Not that he’d care, anyway.)

I like the stage production of Into the Woods more than the movie, it was fantastic and way funnier. But I don’t dislike the movie, either.

There are still some musical movies I haven’t seen yet. I’ve been putting off and then forgetting Moulin Rouge 🤦🏻‍♀️

Feel free to recommend me any.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

Looking very forward to seeing Speilberg's new remake of West Side Story. I am keeping my eyes and ears open for release dates.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
jadecalliope

Post by jadecalliope »

I have always loved musicals. When I was really young, if I was home sick for some reason I loved watching old Shirley Temple movies to pass the time. I was in love with "The Wizard of Oz" with Judy Garland. My love of musicals has only grown from there. I haven't seen as many professional stage productions as I would have liked thus far.

My current favorite soundtrack to listen to is "Hadestown." The music is BRILLIANT. I also still regularly listen to "Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812."
books_andpoetri
Currently Reading: The Most Fun We Ever Had
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-andpoetri.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by books_andpoetri »

The first Broadway musical I have watched is Wicked and the latest one I have seen is the Phantom of the Opera.
LemonyLemont1

Post by LemonyLemont1 »

I always enjoyed and always WILL enjoy musicals. They bring a story to life as if it was a spark, and the music and songs to compliment and carry the story out more into our hearts ignites that spark into a flame. Never say that plays and musicals are the same thing, please.
HarryPotterLibrary22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harrypotterlibrary22.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by HarryPotterLibrary22 »

LemonyLemont1 wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 20:05 I always enjoyed and always WILL enjoy musicals. They bring a story to life as if it was a spark, and the music and songs to compliment and carry the story out more into our hearts ignites that spark into a flame. Never say that plays and musicals are the same thing, please.
Couldn't agree more! Whenever a new musical is out I always get really excited to see how good it is. Adored Hamilton & more recently Six

Return to “Films and Books”