Anyone into musicals?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Charlie19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Re: Anyone into musicals?

Post by Charlie19 »

Musical is a creative thing but i do not like it. i find it boring maybe because i am an old man now.
sdatsy
Currently Reading: Randy Love...at your service
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by sdatsy »

Annie will always hold a special spot in my heart as I grew up watching it over and over. The cheery songs are just everything!
Cybbie_09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cybbie-09.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Cybbie_09 »

The BookWorm Nagham wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 08:19 I really love musicals, my mom is a musician and whenever a musical is released we go watch it together. The last one I saw was '' the greatest showman'' featuring Hugh Jackman, Zac Efron and Zendaya.
I am not usually a musical fan but that movie was one of my favorites and I listened to the soundtrack for weeks after watching the movie. It was awesome!
siammi1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by siammi1 »

I love musicals!
my first musical was "Sarafina". It showed the struggles of young children during the time of aparted in South Africa. I was so young and just learning English but I will never forget the feel of the movie. Only later on did I learn that it was an adaptation of a real event, that Whoopi Goldberg was not South African and the genre of my new favourite movie was musical. I knew it word for word and song for song and used it's knowledge in most of my history classes.
Musicals have a way of drawing my attention in a way normal movies do not. They are amazing. I often muse that if I was ever stuck in a movie I would want it to be a musical. My voice isn't great but I would enjoy it best.
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

I am so unnaturally obsessed with musicals right now. Most of them I haven't even watched, but the soundtracks are amazing. I just watched "The Lightning Thief", an adaptation of the book of the same title by Rick Riordan, and it was far better than the movies.
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

I LOVE LOVE LOVE musicals with all my heart. I just watched "The Lightning Thief" musical, based off the Percy Jackson book obviously, and it was INCREDIBLE!!! So much better than the movie and they capture Percy's attitude perfectly. Actually, they captured everyone perfectly. I can not stop listening to the sound track! Totally recommend.
Brandt
Currently Reading: Under the Dome
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandt.html
Latest Review: Eggstravagant Easter Eggs by Maya Elston

Post by Brandt »

I am a huge musical fan! I am currently majoring in musical theatre then pursuing a career in it!
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

I LOVE musicals! One of my favourites is Singing in the Rain, such a classic!!
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

FilmStar wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 21:14 I love musicals. My dream is to see Dear Evan Hansen. It's so honest and real. I'm hooked on all of the songs and I'm hoping I can sing Requiem for my next audition.
I agree, Dear Evan Hansen is spectacular! It has such an important, touching message that is very relevant to today. Plus, it has good music.
~Roxie~
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:

Post by RoxieReads »

I love musicals! My favorite is, by far, Hamilton. Lin Manuel Miranda’s hip-hop-rap-musical combination paired with an awesome story line is incredibly addicting. I have never seen Hamilton but I hope to!
~Roxie~
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:

Post by RoxieReads »

Falling4Ever wrote: 15 Jul 2019, 16:03 I LOVE LOVE LOVE musicals with all my heart. I just watched "The Lightning Thief" musical, based off the Percy Jackson book obviously, and it was INCREDIBLE!!! So much better than the movie and they capture Percy's attitude perfectly. Actually, they captured everyone perfectly. I can not stop listening to the sound track! Totally recommend.
I’ve seen this musical too! I agree completely, they did a much better job than the film adaptations.
~Roxie~
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:

Post by RoxieReads »

sdatsy wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 08:06 Annie will always hold a special spot in my heart as I grew up watching it over and over. The cheery songs are just everything!
Definitely! I think I watched Annie a hundred times when I was little. I can still sing all the songs from memory!
~Roxie~
rubinelli
Currently Reading: Fangirl
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rubinelli.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by rubinelli »

The first musical I ever saw live was Les Miserables and it was amazing! 'One Day More' was so beautifully done! I had "do you hear the people sing" stuck in my head for a whole week. Wicked also has a beautiful soundtrack. 'Defying Gravity' is a classic! I also like 'Dancing Through Life' and 'No One Mourns the Wicked'. Recently, I had the opportunity to see Waitress and I loved it! 'When He Sees Me' kills me every time I listen to it. If you haven't already, go see Waitress.
mrnobody3
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrnobody3.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by mrnobody3 »

Not really. I always thought that musicals are bit cheesy and extra cringe. However, when I watched The Greatest Show I have to admit it was the best musical films ever. The choreography, the songs they played were very outstanding and not cheesy at all. The casts were also amazing and performed very well in the movie. I even have several soundtracks in my playlists and play it over and over. This movie deserves standing ovation and totally recommended!
Mrs-a-ellsworth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Mrs-a-ellsworth »

There are some great musicals already listed here! It makes sense that there is an overlap between book and musical lovers; we all love a great story! I usually enjoy most musicals, even the pop centered ones- I suppose I am not too particular! My favorites though are the more serious ones, such as Le Mis, or Sweeny Todd. Chicago is always good to watch with friends, and Hamilton is currently in my CD player.

Return to “Films and Books”