Over hyped Movies

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Re: Over hyped Movies

Post by Riszell »

La La Land. I got bored watching it. And the ending was sad.
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading: Going Wild
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ksharmilla »

Almost all those superhero movies coming out now. Transformers after movie 3 also. Jurassic World..... The list goes on and on... :lol2:
Philosophicalbread1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Philosophicalbread1 »

Suicide Squad was hyped. I was so excited to see the movie for months because they released the trailers like a year before the premiere. The story was disappointing because it was a mess. Or it was just not told in a good way. The only consolation is that Margit Robbie did a fantastic job as Harley Quinn. She stole the movie for me.
_claudi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by _claudi_ »

I am very selective with movies. I take my time to know the casts of the movie and also watch the trailer before i watch the whole movie. I can't say i have watched any over hyped movie.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

All Quintin Tarantino's movies.
Parasite.
Birdman.
Lala Land.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Melexa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melexa.html
Latest Review: Colors of Love by Adeola Oyekola

Post by Melexa »

It's The Great Gatsby for me. And I agree with you on The Greatest Showman. I wasn't wowed by either of them; one man's meat is another's poison, they say.
Sarah Nichols 7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-nichols-7.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall

Post by Sarah Nichols 7 »

Avatar. I watched it once and was underwhelmed. I don’t care if I never watched it again.
DianaMich
Favorite Book: Seeker 5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianamich.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by DianaMich »

I can't think of any at the moment. I did not watch La La Land, it didn't look as appealing for me as some people.
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

annahariet wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 06:28 Let me start by saying I did not like La La Land. First, I will never understand why they decided to cast non-singers to lead in a musical. I read that the director specifically chose non-singers to represent the realities of life and people and whatnot. If he wanted to make a realistic movie, what was the point of making a musical in the first place? I liked the piano parts. But none of the songs were catchy, and the singing was weak. With these two combined, the songs were bland and unremarkable. In terms of acting, both of the leads were great, but the pacing of the story was too slow for my liking that I ended up not liking the movie altogether.

Additionally, I think The Greatest Showman was just okay. The plot was so-so, and the entire story was skimmed over. My main issue with it is how the characters were never really fleshed out, and we never really see any character development except for Barnum's, and even that was questionable. Another issue is the number of historical inaccuracies in the movie, but that's an entirely different discussion. But unlike in La La Land, the musical numbers in The Greatest Showman are spectacular enough for me to forgive (or at least ignore) most issues I have with the movie.
La La Land is definitely one of the most overhyped films of recent years.
fridamadrid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fridamadrid.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by fridamadrid »

Inside Out. I still think it was a very good movie, only not as good as people would claim it to be. Great approach to the topics, but nothing out of this world.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

I remember thinking Ready Player One was really overhyped. When put on a visual level, it's amazing. It looks great. However, there's not much substance. Stuff just happens for no reason. I really like the book, but I have to say they dropped the ball with the film.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
FlyLeaf

Post by FlyLeaf »

I actually cannot resist to agree more on La La Land and The Greatest Showman.. :roll:
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Archaeoptery »

Harry Potter movies. My mom made me watch them and I never saw why people got worked up over it.
Sammy00

Post by Sammy00 »

I watch Christopher Nolan's spectacular films more often without any pleasure. Rather, before, I always started with enthusiasm, which was quickly blown away. It's hard to say what I miss in his films, they are very modern, or rather, millions are felt in them, but most of the time I sleep. Once I went to the cinema to see Interstellar and I remember nothing but the inconvenience of a man who had been immobile for almost three hours. Tenet is quite watchable, especially for those, who is in free search. You can think up a lot and attribute a lot to your own achievements of the mind. Or the director, it's up to you. The plot, contrary to the opinion of many, I do not think is twisted or too smart, it is the same as always. Here is the old combination of absurd and pretentious. No more.
Elizabeth Otieno 1
Currently Reading: The Hummingbird and the Bear
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Elizabeth Otieno 1 »

The Walking Dead, I hate this show it is too overrated for nothing and boring. I wonder why it's hyped.

Return to “Films and Books”