Cancelled TV Series Woes

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
AleYaya
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aleyaya.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Re: Cancelled TV Series Woes

Post by AleYaya »

Not really cancelled, but it was only one season. I just finished The Assassination of Gianni Versace. It was incredible!
DreamStoryWeaver
Currently Reading: Cordina's Royal Family
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by DreamStoryWeaver »

Several shows from my childhood, such as Silver Surfer the animated series, Teen Titans, Sonic and the Freedom Fighters, and many others, were all cancelled at terrible points in their story. Silver Surfer was cancelled just as literally the entire universe was being sent backwards through time to the point of non-existing all together, Sonic ended on a cliff-hanger with the image of a new threat emerging from the shadows, Teen Titans ended on a uncertain and somber note leaving viewers to wonder wither or not they've truly lost a friend of theirs. It was all horrendously frustrating! Its even worse when its a series that you've followed for years and have seen the characters grow and change with every adventure.

I know that when it comes to networks that a lot depends on the show's popularity and wither or not merchandising can be sold around the show. But if you're going to create a show for only a season or so, a least have the decency to end it on a good note. Leaving it on a cliff hanger doesn't guarantee another season, and it'll only set fans up for disappointment. I've seen shows end with open questions before, but wrap the major conflicts up well enough to satisfy their audience, so I know it can be done.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

DreamStoryWeaver wrote: 06 Sep 2019, 12:19 I know that when it comes to networks that a lot depends on the show's popularity and wither or not merchandising can be sold around the show. But if you're going to create a show for only a season or so, a least have the decency to end it on a good note. Leaving it on a cliff hanger doesn't guarantee another season, and it'll only set fans up for disappointment. I've seen shows end with open questions before, but wrap the major conflicts up well enough to satisfy their audience, so I know it can be done.
Ending a TV show with a cliffhanger is horrible! If a show dosn't get renewed in time they should just wrap it up so if it's canceled it has a proper ending. It's a matter of respect for the audience who invested time to watch it.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

I was so upset when I found out there were no more seasons of The Secret Circle. It had this Vampire Diaries vibe I felt they could have taken in many directions and rolled with it from there. Also, The Nine Lives of Chloe King could have used a little work, sure, but c'mon, the story line was awesome for the most part.
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

I was really choked that Happy Endings on had 3 seasons. That show was so hilarious. Then it got taken off Netflix and I was even more choked.
AdamRedWolf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamredwolf.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by AdamRedWolf »

Cancellation of Deadwood was the dumbest move ever. How can a show so awesome get cancelled? I'll never understand that one.
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
- Bokonon (Kurt Vonnegut), Cat's Cradle
slj3988
Currently Reading: Lord of the rings
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slj3988.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by slj3988 »

Iron Fist and Daredevil. I was enjoying them and they stopped. Marvel cashing in on the Avengers by doing the Defenders at the same time wasn't smart. Similar to DC doing it with Justice League. I still have the Flash, Arrow, Supergirl and stuff to catch up on. Justice League was too soon. Purely Warner in competition with Disney.
nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-adrianne.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by nicole-adrianne »

Jericho and Terra Nova ended on cliffhangers, and were such compelling concepts! They were a little cheesy, sure, but I loved them.
One feels like a duck, splashing around in all this wet. And when one feels like a duck, one is happy!
acarterx11
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by acarterx11 »

As a child I hated how they just left us with a cleft hanger with the Disney t.v. shows "my babysitters a vampire "
KatCguD
Currently Reading: What are You Willing to Risk
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by KatCguD »

I just learned Anne with an E got canceled after this most recent season, and I'm really sad about it. I read somewhere that the writers had a plot planned out for 5 I think, so that makes me even sadder about the situation
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

Teen Titans from the early 2000s. Even though it had a somewhat decent ending before Trouble in Tokyo, there was an opening for another season. Action Man and Game Over were two CG shows that ended early.
HarryPotterLibrary22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harrypotterlibrary22.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by HarryPotterLibrary22 »

Crazy Ex Girlfriend?! I wanted moreeeeeeee
NovaFly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novafly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NovaFly »

I have so many the most woeful being Firefly, Dirk Gently, Limitless, and Sliver Sun.
Zion Mesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zion-mesa.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Zion Mesa »

There are SO MANY shows in my childhood I wish had continued, however maybe I'm not ready to dig up those painful memories yet.

On that note it's equally frustrating when a book series goes unfinished, although it's not as often seen as a big deal.
[Danielle]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle.html
Latest Review: The Global Reconstruction Project by S. Cotton

Post by [Danielle] »

KatCguD wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 10:23 I just learned Anne with an E got canceled after this most recent season, and I'm really sad about it. I read somewhere that the writers had a plot planned out for 5 I think, so that makes me even sadder about the situation
Yes! I just finished the 3rd season and I immediately looked to see if it would be renewed for season 4 and I'm so bummed now :cry: I really hope it somehow comes back anyway!
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore

Return to “Films and Books”