Percy Jackson: The lightning thief

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Mirak178
Currently Reading: Chronicles of Narnia
Bookshelf Size: 38

Percy Jackson: The lightning thief

Post by Mirak178 »

There are a lot of discrepancy between the movie and the book.
(1) The setting of camp half blood is not according to the book
(2) How Percy knew of him been Son of Poseidon.

Any one that has read this book with any other discrepancy noticed???
Mirak178
Currently Reading: Chronicles of Narnia
Bookshelf Size: 38

Post by Mirak178 »

The book is a good one for children with disabilities such as ADHD and Dyslexia, Rick Riordan brings out the beauty in them
Princess Donatello
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Princess Donatello »

I believe the film is much more classic than the book :tiphat:
cpivie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by cpivie »

IMHO, the whole movie is a discrepency. There was just so much lost and changed as it was adapted that the story lost the things that set it apart as a unique and memorable book and series.
Namaya manocha
Favorite Book: Percy Jackson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Namaya manocha »

The first mistake : Annabeth's hair should be blonde not brunette . Second : they were twelve and not seventeen . Third :percy discovered he was a son of Poseidon in a lot less time than he was supposed to and fourth: the events were not nearly same as in the book
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

A lot of changes were made to the story in adapting it into a book. The book was much better than the movie. The casting was really bad. I mean, They were supposed to be 12, not 18!!
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I loved the movie. I tried to read the book, but I just couldn't get into it. I think it was the writing style. Being that is was geared towards a younger audience, the vocabulary and simplistic style annoyed me. Seeing it on screen was fun for me and kept my interest.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
jahagen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jahagen.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by jahagen »

Honestly there were so few things that they got accurate from the book that it would be quicker to name the similarities. But continuing with the discrepancies, I agree with the above mentioned ones dealing with character age and the discovery that he was the son of Poseidon. To add more, the movie never touched on Percy's arguing with Ares, his retrieving his shield from the water park, or the epic battle on the beach where he fought with Ares. Instead, in the movie, we got a fight with Luke, which never happened in the book because it wasn't until basically the very end where they even figured out it was Luke who stole the bolt.

Also Hades' Helm of Darkness was never even mentioned in the movie, which in the book is sort of the whole reason he gets involved. And Percy didn't save his mom from the underworld; he used the three pearls (which he obtained from someone in the sea, not traveling the US) on himself, Grover, and Annabeth.

I just finished rereading the book, so all of the differences are extremely fresh in my mind, but it would take a really long time and result in a very long post to go through each individual difference and discrepancy.
Weasley291335

Post by Weasley291335 »

This book has a good plot and explicit detail.
today4realz

Post by today4realz »

i loved it. i love reading intresting books that have so many things happening at once and the love story between annabeth and percy. imagining that your not sick and turn out to be the son of poseidon
Brandt
Currently Reading: Under the Dome
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandt.html
Latest Review: Eggstravagant Easter Eggs by Maya Elston

Post by Brandt »

I feel as though the movie did nothing good in terms of the story. So much was changed and damaged. I read somewhere the Rick Riordan himself was furious with the script and the director with the direction they took with the movie, going so far as to offer to rewrite the script himself. I mean, if the author of the book series you are recreating for film disapproves, you did something wrong.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

I think that discrepancies are irrelevant. They are two separate pieces of storytelling. One is informed by the other, but it is never going to be a faithful reproduction. The book and movie have different artistic visions, in the shape of the author and director. They can't ever be the same.
E_Sethna

Post by E_Sethna »

Mirak178 wrote: 28 May 2018, 01:40 There are a lot of discrepancy between the movie and the book.
(1) The setting of camp half blood is not according to the book
(2) How Percy knew of him been Son of Poseidon.

Any one that has read this book with any other discrepancy noticed???
There were quite a few discrepancies, yes...though I like both the film and the novel. I think of them as separate entities. Comparing novels and their movie adaptations can cause a lot of frustration, it's rare for a film to be completely accurate and loyal, right? As a movie, Percy Jackson: The Lightning Thief is nice. As an adaptation of the fantastic novel, it's...not very loyal. But both the movie and the book are enjoyable!
EndlessFacepalms

Post by EndlessFacepalms »

Yes, I agree, there were a lot of discrepancies between the book and the movie. Personally, I internally cringed throughout the entire movie. There are so many differences! It's almost like the movie and the book are two completely different things. While the movie was interesting, it didn't really speak to me as the book did, probably because it strayed from the plot many times. Like, according to what I remember, the entrance to Olympus is different for the Gods and such. Also, in the movie, Percy's cabin is literally by the water, while in the book it's supposed to be part of the 'U' that makes up the rest of the Olympian Gods' cabins. The movie was quite fun to watch if you aren't completely dedicated to the Percy Jackson way of life. For those who expected a visual version of the book, the movie comes as a slight surprise, but for the people who haven't read Percy Jackson beforehand, I'd say, that the movie is quite enjoyable and a fun watch.
Felicity Granger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity-granger.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Felicity Granger »

I've learned from early on never to go into a movie expecting the same things as what I know to be in the book. Keep in mind that in the making of a movie there are completely different writers and the original author has very little say in how the movie pans out. Also, playing out the scenes for movie are much more difficult than penning words on paper. I try to keep an open mind. There were a ton of differences but I enjoyed the movie nonetheless.

Return to “Films and Books”