The Hunger Games Films

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Re: The Hunger Games Films

Post by Letora »

The books are better. Don't get me wrong, I thought the movies were well done, but the books hit me emotionally in a way the movies couldn't. Mockingjay kept me on the edge of my seat and made me bawl. They are pretty quick to read too. Well worth your time.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Kimii200123
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by Kimii200123 »

In my opinion the books are better, but I loved the movies as well.
NicholsC97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholsc97.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by NicholsC97 »

I would read the books before you watch the movies. Makes the experience so much better.
amjohnson13mommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by amjohnson13mommy »

I always say the books are better than the movie so I try to watch the movie first. I really enjoyed the movies, I love Katniss! I am sick and tired of the poor, defenseless female characters. So when I see a gal who can more than take care of herself I think "yeah,you rock girl!"
amjohnson13
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html

Post by Artizi »

I'm not a big fan of either the movie or the books, to be perfectly honest.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
JennyorAlice
Currently Reading: Tales of the Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 151

Post by JennyorAlice »

I just finished reading Mockingjay not to long ago. I told myself I was going to watch the movies once I finished the books. My hubby ordered the movies for me on blu-ray and they should be here any day now. Once I get the movies, I plan on binge watching the movies one weekend when I have the time.

I will say that I normally prefer the books to the movie 99% of the time. It's very rare for me to like the movie more than the book. There are some movies that do a good job and I'll like them about the same as the books but it's hard for me to like them more than the books. It would have to be something really spectacular.
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: A Captive in Algiers
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

I really loved the books and was pleasantly surprised when Hollywood followed the books so well. I would definitely read the books if I were you, to give you a more in-depth look to Katniss and her world. The books explain a little more as the movies didn’t have the time to delve into everything.
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html

Post by Artizi »

I'm really not a fan of either, but the book was definitely better (less bad?) than the movies.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
Jessica Belle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Jessica Belle »

Suzanne Collins portraits Katniss perfectly. A girl that has learned to trust almost nobody and has PTSD. It’s so different from what we usually read because in the end, Katniss doesn’t win.
S Mishra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-mishra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by S Mishra »

I usually prefer the book over the movie but this time it has to be a close tie. I feel like the movie really follows the book's plot well.

There are also other small scenes like ones featuring President Snow that aren't mentioned in the book because it is exclusively from Katniss' point of view. I think Jennifer Lawrence did a great job of portraying Katniss.
"If anyone needs me, I’ll be reading.... Please don’t need me."
magnoparisi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnoparisi.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by magnoparisi »

The premise is excellent. An Orwellian future where children are offered to the state as entertainment. But
the movie left a lot to be desired and did not do the book justice. It's watchable but not necessarily something you should make a major effort to check out.
kreger_d
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kreger_d »

Hey,
I have actually watched the movie and read the book. In my opinion the book is way better than the movie. The movie leaves out so many things that was included into the book. It has mamy important details that change it. Like if you read the book and then watch the movie, you would be ashamed.

- Danielle
tj doxa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by tj doxa »

I always miss the chance to watch this movie
Melissa Breen
Currently Reading: World War Z
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-breen.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Melissa Breen »

The Hunger Games is one of those rare ones where I like the books the same as a the movies but for different reasons. I think the books are more emotional and getting a better insight into everything going on in Katniss's head is really interesting. She struggles with everything a lot more in the books than the movies. But Jennifer's portrayal of her is still really good and you cna see the internal struggle but you can also see how much she's masking it and suppressing it
Charlie19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Charlie19 »

jennifer lawrence is a great actor and she played the movie really well. the story had a great impression for me as a matter of fact.

Return to “Films and Books”