The Hunger Games Films

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Cybbie_09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cybbie-09.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Re: The Hunger Games Films

Post by Cybbie_09 »

I can definitely understand why someone who hasn't read the books would totally love the movies as they can definitely stand alone and tell the story well enough, however, the books were 100% so much better. It's hard to understand the depth of her love and choice of Peta unless you read her development. My favorite book was Catching Fire but I loved the whole series! Definitely worth reading.
ashtonf
Currently Reading: The Young Elites
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by ashtonf »

The first two books are really good and much better than the first two movies. As for the third book, dont even bother reading it. Mockingjay parts 1 and 2 are better than the third book will ever be.
GC50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gc50.html
Latest Review: Perfect Fairways... Hidden Lies by Robert Marier

Post by GC50 »

Hey! You are right, The Hunger Games films are amazing, but you should read the books, they are so much better.
Brandt
Currently Reading: Under the Dome
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandt.html
Latest Review: Eggstravagant Easter Eggs by Maya Elston

Post by Brandt »

While I think that the movies offer some incredible visuals and do an excellent job of showing specific moments on screen, the books have just so much depth to them. The movies do not truly show the depth and horror that these characters went through because of The Capital. I think if you like the movies, you will LOVE the books. They will offer you so much more in terms of character development and appreciation for the story and hardships of the people of Panem.
Monishka Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monishka-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Monishka Sharma »

Cybbie_09 wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 14:14 I can definitely understand why someone who hasn't read the books would totally love the movies as they can definitely stand alone and tell the story well enough, however, the books were 100% so much better. It's hard to understand the depth of her love and choice of Peta unless you read her development. My favorite book was Catching Fire but I loved the whole series! Definitely worth reading.
I fully agree with you. Books are worth to read them. And this series is really a good one.
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

I think that overall these films did a marvelous job of portraying the books. My favorite movie would have to be Catching Fire.
~Roxie~
cassibear13
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by cassibear13 »

I think that the first book and movie in the series are the best out of them all. Catching Fire was also good but the movie seemed to be at a slightly lower standard not in acting or scene work but more in the scenes chosen to be left out. Mockingjay was the worst book out of them all because we lose Katniss a little and it seemed to become more political, the movies were both good though I do favor part one. All in all I would rather read the books than watch the movies but the movies are very entertaining and enjoyable to watch.
Cecilia Bernice
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Cecilia Bernice »

Out of all the films I think Mockingjay was my favorite. When reading the book, I felt that too many things were happening all at once. It was very confusing. Seeing the story portrayed visually helped me to better understand what Suzanne Collins was trying to do with her plot. Catching Fire was fun and stayed pretty close to the book. I didn't really like the first Hunger Games movie. Something about it felt forced, like the filmmakers were more interested on catering to viewer's expectations than they were with showing a story that flowed well.
Overall, I think the books are better than the movies, just be sure to read the endings carefully. :D
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

I am also interested in reading the books. I was planning on taking them with me on a trip to the seaside, but the vacation came and went without my plan being accomplished. Maybe next year...
girly girl
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-girly-girl.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by girly girl »

The books are definitely better. Aren't they always? Films are great, I love Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss. Nothing can trump books. Maybe if they made TV show-but even then I wouldn't be so sure.
DD129
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

I've both read the books and watched the movies. In my opinion, the books were better, but the films did a good job of giving us a visual representation of the world and the characters. I liked the first book and its movie counterpart the most. It introduced me to the fictional world and practice of the Hunger Games, so it will always be special.
Blu1983
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30

Post by Blu1983 »

The Hunger Games had to be one of thr best series very entertaining and excitable.
Felicity Granger
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity-granger.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Felicity Granger »

I loved both versions but I'm biased towards the book more so than the live action adaptation. The visuals and effects from the films were really great and for the most part the plot didn't divert from the one set out in the book. There were some parts of each I didn't like and felt that the other made up for it in some way. I still would choose the books over the films, though.
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HeatherEi »

The premise is very interesting. I watched the first movie but I had a hard time with the whole children murdering each other bit.
sschatzberg
Favorite Book: Before the Storm
Currently Reading: Twisted But True
Bookshelf Size: 46

Post by sschatzberg »

The books are so much better. When I watched the first Hunger Games movie, I was disgusted with it. They missed out on so much, but its hard to get all the details out of a book. I refuse to watch the rest of the movies after the first.

Return to “Films and Books”