Disney movie called "MOANA"

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Re: Disney movie called "MOANA"

Post by Zora C Penter »

I wish Disney, and other media giants, created more movies like Moana. They hadn't done anything even remotely similar since Lilo and Stitch. Both are among my favorite Disney movies now.
Laarmyartist
Favorite Author: Tamora Pierce
Currently Reading: The Pygmy Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 33
fav_author_id: 3492

Post by Laarmyartist »

From what I know of the creators and the many people who put their work into the movie, there was a lot of thought and care as to how to portray Maui himself, along with the other gods and demigods that were featured. There were large strides made in the movie Moana, particularly that they involved many people of Pacific Island descent working on the film and research into the culture.

I have heard from some that they were disappointed that Maui's wife Hina was left out of the story completely, as she is a powerful demigod in her own right.

My own opinion is, Disney studios hasn't always worked this hard to be respectful. They wont always do so in the future. I, as a western white woman, can only listen to those who do think the movie did some things good and some things bad.
Taylor Danvers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-danvers.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Taylor Danvers »

I've come across a lot of Moana memes and heard about it but I've not really thought about watching it. If they sing it will bum me out
:happy-cheerleaderkid: :text-feedback: :text-welcomeconfetti:
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

To be honest I do not think the people involved in creating the movie meant any disrespect, if anything they probably wanted to make more people aware of the culture. It is unfortunate how they speak in past tense and unfortunately they do sometimes change and misinterpret a culture. I still really enjoyed the movie though and some of the messages about values that it conveyed along with the comedic value that was provided for kids.
chibiparty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by chibiparty »

I'm not that much of a movie person, so for me it was an okay movie.
Although every time my guinea pig hears "You're Welcome".... (he probably does believe he's Maui)
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

It was refreshing to watch the pacific cultures in the movie Moana, even with the obvious western appropriation. It is a kid's movie and i dont think it was intended to hurt anybody's cultural beliefs.
NicholsC97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholsc97.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by NicholsC97 »

Moana was awesome! I loved her sass as well as the stupid chicken. Maui got one heck of a reality check and that was gold in and of itself.
Lori_Knight22
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lori_Knight22 »

I think Disney did great with this movie called Moana because it focuses more on her journey to save her island, even her own people. . It's nice to see something that didn't have the male character always having to save the damsel in distress. .Hope Disney actually keeps up the good work on that.
Not only that they actually focused on a different kind of culture and different kind of myths. . All in all, this movie actually gets five stars.
Kelsey Fulton
Favorite Book: Villette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-fulton.html
Latest Review: Man Shark by Gerald Knight
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Kelsey Fulton »

I admittedly don't know much about Pacific Island culture, but certainly learned a lot by watching the movie. I think the movie and this post spur discussion about the culture, encouraging others to dive deeper and learn more. I'm not sure how many people are actually doing this, but I would assume that at least some are. While definitely Westernized, I think Moana paints a nice picture and I appreciate Disney's initiative to dive into different cultures. An admirable female lead trying to find herself (with no romance whatsoever) is refreshing!
"Everything is nothing, with a twist." -Kurt Vonnegut
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: Devil in False Colors
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

I really like this movie and the music is good. (Although, The Rock is not a singer by any stretch of the imagination.) The story line and message was good, too.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I think there were probably some missteps, though I'm not a Pacific Islander so I can't say what they are, but at the heart of it the creators seemed to have tried to be as respectful as possible while staying within the Disney formula. If I recall correctly, they had Pacific Islander consultants for this purpose, though I can't remember where I read that information.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
NanaSonia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by NanaSonia »

I actually thought moana was gonna marry Maui at the end
The movie really impressed me
It's magical
And the Chicken,made it more interesting
luz0928
Currently Reading: World Without End
Bookshelf Size: 443
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luz0928.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by luz0928 »

It's a great movie. I don't think that Disney would mean anything bad with it. They put culture in front of children in a way they can understand it and have fun with it. These movies are good to put the children into a different context than they are used to. When we grow up we usually take these good memories from the movies we loved and start researching about said culture and end up learning a lot.

If Disney ever made a movie set in Colombia, even though it only showed the jungle part (I'm just making assumptions here), I still would be super excited just because of the mention of my country hahaha
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

I liked the movie. However, it is not my place to decide if it was appropriate or not from a cultural standpoint.
Mueeza Rafique
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mueeza Rafique »

Disney movies are magical .it has some information and magic and its music is just beautiful

Return to “Films and Books”