Which movie ruined a good book?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Melbie Bie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melbie-bie.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Re: Which movie ruined a good book?

Post by Melbie Bie »

So sorry to say this but Fifty shades movie was nothing to write home about.
Melanie OneDay
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melanieoneday.html
Latest Review: See a Witch About a Curse by Loen Hussain

Post by Melanie OneDay »

Probably the Divergent series. There were a lot of important details left out of the movies and they changed around too many things for my liking. I always recommend the books over the movies when Divergent is brought up.
Quizlit4Stephen
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Quizlit4Stephen »

The 2021 Dune Movie didn't impress me, although can appreciate that its not the easiest book to adapt
Wanjla Carl
Favorite Author: by Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjla-carl.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz
fav_author_id: 221705

Post by Wanjla Carl »

The one that came to my mind is the movie "The DArk Tower" it was released on 2017. It is an adaptation from Stephen King's fantasy series. In the movie, the events are rushed and the characters are not well developed.
Cielito Leyendo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cielito-leyendo.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Cielito Leyendo »

Joe Hadithi wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 06:26 Sorry to say this but the entire Harry Potter series. All the scenes I'd dreamed up in my head were a notch higher than what the movie guys came up with. Although mine is a strong dislike, not hatred lol.
Thank you for saying it! People look at me like I'm crazy whenever I criticize the movies.
Hee Via
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hee-via.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Hee Via »

Most people might not agree with me but fifty shades and the after series totally wasn’t what I expected. It had so much potential but all went to waste in the movie I couldn’t even watch until the end. If I didn’t read the book though, I might not have disliked it as much.
Hee Via
Currently Reading:

Post by Hee Via »

Melbie Bie wrote: 04 May 2023, 03:34 So sorry to say this but Fifty shades movie was nothing to write home about.
I’m actually so glad I found someone who thinks the same thing, the boom should have just stayed a book honestly, they just ruined it for me.
Hee Via
Currently Reading:

Post by Hee Via »

MichelleYong wrote: 14 Jan 2023, 07:49 The mortal instruments; I'm pretty sure it does not even have a sequel. There was so much magic, action, details and backstory in the book which were omitted in the movie. Don't get me wrong, I used to love it, as I watched the movie before reading the book. After reading the book, however, made me realize how poorly the movie was made.
Ohh yes I remember watching the mortal instruments and getting so pissed off at some things. Honestly some books are better off just left as books.
Hee Via
Currently Reading:

Post by Hee Via »

AvishaJain_13 wrote: 05 Jul 2022, 03:30 The Harry Potter movies! So many things were missing
I haven’t really read the harry potter book so I never thought it wasn’t good enough but now i’m tempted to know what could have been better about the book.
Latisha Cupp 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Latisha Cupp 1 »

Needful Things; the book had so much more depth and details that i could just imagine in my mind, but i those little things were overlooked in the movie. The emphasis was off, as well, making it seem like two different stories altogether were being told.
Sheen Jenny
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheen-jenny.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Sheen Jenny »

Hunger games and Percy Jackson's series. Honestly the books were perfect. I was so disappointed when I watched the movies. They didn't do justice to to description of the book. My imagination ran wild and I honestly expected more.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Adéla Kapicová
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ad-la-kapicov.html
Latest Review: Replaced Parts by Stephanie Hansen

Post by Adéla Kapicová »

Eragon and Percy Jackson. Nevertheless, there should be the Eragon series soon and I am very excited about that - I hope it´ll be good and the movie will be forgotten.
Thisisme strawberry Esther 2468
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Thisisme strawberry Esther 2468 »

Divergent 💀
Kirana Lin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Kirana Lin »

Definitely the first Vampire Academy movie. The Vampire Academy book series was so good that I anticipated the film adaptation being equally as amazing. I was left severely disappointed in the end.
Jovana Vukojicic
Currently Reading: Requiem For A Queen
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jovana-vukojicic.html
Latest Review: Mithra by John M. Rattenbury
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Jovana Vukojicic »

There was one time when I decided to read a book then watch the film and I made a great mistake. It was the Name of the rose by Umberto Eco. I regret my decision, I should stop myself, but I want to see why people always say that the book is better than film. What can I say I know only one thing: I enjoyed book very much but the film was very boring. I think that everyone imagine our own scenario when reading a book and when we watch the film we find out that something is a miss.
Love bite

Return to “Films and Books”