Which movie ruined a good book?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Nikowl7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikowl7.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: Which movie ruined a good book?

Post by Nikowl7 »

Harry Potter is definitely on the top of the list for me! Also, Eragon movie completely ruined the book in my opinion.. :/
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

For me, it was the series The Mortal Instruments. The books were great, but when I started watching the tv series I had to stop :( .
Maesondahl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maesondahl.html
Latest Review: Tales from the Gray Area by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Maesondahl »

Thirteen Reasons Why has got to be the worst book to show adaptation. Because of the sensitive themes of the book, I think telling it from Hannah's perspective allowed the reader to really feel what she was going through and understand her thought process. The show just watered down her mental health and made it seem like a frivolous thing she did. Also, the fact that they showed her suicide so graphically to a younger audience was shocking. They continued a story that should have ended at season one and just made all of the other characters unlikable. I really enjoyed the book when I was younger and now it's ruined.
angelmuktar
Currently Reading: The Binding Stone
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by angelmuktar »

The Sun is Also a Star. I absolutely loved the book. I loved how the love, emotion, and just overall actions of the characters were described and portrayed in the book. I did not feel any of them while watching the movie. Then again, it goes back to the emotions being felt more deeply through reading words than watching them play out.
Excel 2021
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excel-2021.html
Latest Review: Trauma by Cynthia Fridsma

Post by Excel 2021 »

AliceofX wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 05:34 The Hobbit trilogy. The first movie was okay, but movies two and three... The less said about those the better. But the thing is this ultimately goes back to Lord of the Rings. It kind of hurts to say that because they are one of my favorite movies ever, but I feel they didn't understand LOTR's true genre. I think Tolkien's goal was to create something that paid homage to fairy-tales and epics like Beowulf. The movies didn't really have that "feeling." Which is not to say they didn't create something great with LOTR, but with The Hobbit it just didn't work because it was downright a children's fairy-tale. It's a very different book from LOTR and yet they made it in the same "serious" style.
Interesting point
Victoria Copsey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-copsey.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Victoria Copsey »

The divergent films were an absolute mess. I wasn't the biggest fan if the final book but the terrible attempt at turning the series in to films still pains me.
Lost Star
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lost-star.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by Lost Star »

Percy Jackson :((((
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
zulfiyya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zulfiyya.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by zulfiyya »

THE BOOK THIEF!!!! I don't even know how many years it has been since I finished this book and movie, but to this day, I will say that the film ruined the book more than any other good book + bad movie combination I've seen.

If you haven't read the book, I can understand why the movie might seem fair, but the book was 100 times better. It was narrated from the perspective of death, which in my opinion, was the most incredible element of the book. A story about the holocaust narrated by death, that's genius! The movie nowhere near captured the beauty of the book.
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

Game of Thrones!!! I don't know if it is the hype but Ii just couldn't stand the book when I got my hands on it to read it.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

Mortal Engines was sort of blundered with the movie adaptation. I really would've liked to see the third book adapted into a film, but after the first movie it's not happening. The movie changes tons of stuff, and while I'm not against change, it has to be justified in the final product.
Malve
Currently Reading: Onyx
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malve.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Malve »

Harry Potter… definitely Harry Potter!! I used to love the books but the movies were a disappointment. A lot of actions are left out and the characters are presented differently. For example, in the book I really liked Dobby, however, in the movies he was just annoying. It kinda ruined the books for me.
carnelianroses23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carnelianroses23.html
Latest Review: The Decision by Michael D. Komeshak

Post by carnelianroses23 »

The Harry Potter movies kind of ruined the books, especially 5-7. So many things get glossed over and sped up in the last four. I feel like it would do better as a TV series where each season is a year.

The Divergent movies. The first was pretty okay. Beyond that they were just making stuff up.

The Percy Jackson movies do not exist.

My Sister's Keeper. I honestly felt the twist of Anna being the one to die instead of Kate was a nice change of pace. Jesse becomes a police officer not an artist.

The Hobbit tried way too hard to be epic. The feel of the hobbit and Lord of the Rings were radically different. The inclusion of all the elven storylines was quite frankly annoying. The story is about the dwarves not the elves.
samps1910
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samps1910.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by samps1910 »

The Percy Jackson movies. They ruined everything good about the books!
Lalia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lalia »

They also ruined they book called Fallen. The movie had me so lost, I had no clue what was going on. It was all over the place and most of the characters were completely different then they were in the books.
MissM94
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missm94.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by MissM94 »

Game of Thrones it’s not a movie but I absolutely think they ruined the ending. I was so disappointed.

Return to “Films and Books”