Which movie ruined a good book?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Fester John
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fester-john.html
Latest Review: Making Life-Changing Decisions by Victor Chukwu

Re: Which movie ruined a good book?

Post by Fester John »

Night Agent the Netflix series talked everything about the book Cynthia and Dan the Cyber war and it was almost the same in the book all the way from characters to actions
Joseph Jose Nj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40

Post by Joseph Jose Nj »

"Honestly The Golden Compass" based on the first book of Philip Pullman's renowned fantasy trilogy, "His Dark Materials." The film, released in 2007, failed to capture the depth and complexity of the source material, as well as for its significant changes to the story.
Joseph Jose Nj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40

Post by Joseph Jose Nj »

AliceofX wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 05:34 The Hobbit trilogy. The first movie was okay, but movies two and three... The less said about those the better. But the thing is this ultimately goes back to Lord of the Rings. It kind of hurts to say that because they are one of my favorite movies ever, but I feel they didn't understand LOTR's true genre. I think Tolkien's goal was to create something that paid homage to fairy-tales and epics like Beowulf. The movies didn't really have that "feeling." Which is not to say they didn't create something great with LOTR, but with The Hobbit it just didn't work because it was downright a children's fairy-tale. It's a very different book from LOTR and yet they made it in the same "serious" style.
"I strongly disagree with the notion that 'The Hobbit' film series was a disappointment. As a fan of J.R.R. Tolkien's rich fantasy world, I found the movies to be a delightful and immersive experience that captured the essence of the beloved book.
Firstly, the decision to expand 'The Hobbit' into a trilogy allowed for a more comprehensive exploration of Tolkien's Middle-earth. It provided an opportunity to delve deeper into the characters, expand the lore, and incorporate additional details from the broader legendarium. This expansion allowed fans to immerse themselves in the intricate world-building and appreciate the vastness of Tolkien's imagination.
Furthermore, the films successfully brought to life the whimsical and adventurous spirit of the book. The stunning visual effects, breathtaking landscapes, and intricate set designs beautifully portrayed the magical and fantastical elements of Tolkien's world. The attention to detail, from the costumes to the makeup, further enhanced the immersive experience.
The performances in the films were exceptional. Martin Freeman's portrayal of Bilbo Baggins perfectly captured the reluctant hero's journey, balancing humor, courage, and vulnerability. The ensemble cast, including Richard Armitage as Thorin Oakenshield and Ian McKellen as Gandalf, brought depth and charisma to their respective characters, creating a compelling and believable group dynamic.
The action sequences in the films were thrilling and well-executed, capturing the intensity and danger faced by the characters. The incorporation of iconic scenes from the book, such as the riddle game with Gollum, the barrel escape, and the Battle of the Five Armies, added excitement and nostalgia for fans.
Abraham Dainty
Currently Reading: Bluebeard's Curse
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abraham-dainty.html
Latest Review: Unyielding Destiny by Spiros Gratsias (author of Unyielding Destiny)

Post by Abraham Dainty »

HARRY POTTER. I know they did put quite the money in the bag but if youv'e read the book, you'd e disappointed.
The Keeper Jr
Favorite Book: The Cruel Prince
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-keeper-jr.html
Latest Review: Khanjar by Bob O'Brien

Post by The Keeper Jr »

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle. The book was a good one but watching the movie, they just ruined it. It was the worst experience.
"Once I did bad and that I heard ever. Twice I did good, but that I heard never." - Dale Carnegie
Latest Review: Khanjar by Bob O'Brien
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

A movie has never ruined a book for me.

If i think the book is great, a bad adaption is not going to change that.
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
Tammy Grey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammy-grey.html
Latest Review: Not Dead Yet by Mark Fletcher

Post by Tammy Grey »

After. The movie really ruined it for me.
BookAddikt
Favorite Book: The Black Dagger Brotherhood
Currently Reading: The Law of Unintended Consequences
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by BookAddikt »

Fifty Shades of Grey. I just didnt like the actors they chose and a lot was cut out but that was for the first movie. I didnt bother looking at the other 2
Angela_Ezekiel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Angela_Ezekiel »

Francine Rivers's Redeeming Love was an absolute murder for me. It was nothing close to the book.
David Milaham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-milaham.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by David Milaham »

I would say Wheel of Time. The writers don't seem to have much different for the source material at all. I'm not even sure of what they're going for but it's terrible
Erica Sahm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Erica Sahm »

I agree about The Hunger Games - I wanted to love the films but they were a huge let down. Same with the Divergent series though those films were even worse than THG films in my opinion. They just didn’t capture the devastation the way the books did, which then lessens the tension.
Dalva Claudeth Ramos
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dalva Claudeth Ramos »

Dan Brown Inferno was ruined for me, they should stick to the original story.
Joseph waruru
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-waruru.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Joseph waruru »

Lord of the rings
Marina Flisvou
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Jake Fortina and the Roman Conspiracy
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marina-flisvou.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Marina Flisvou »

"Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief" (2010) - Fans of Rick Riordan's "Percy Jackson" series were disappointed with the adaptation, as it made significant changes to the story and characters. The film misrepresented the personalities and relationships of the characters. The humor and charm that made the characters endearing in the books were not effectively conveyed in the movie. Percy, in particular, was seen as less witty and more serious in the film.
Marina
Omolara Sherry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Omolara Sherry »

I'd agree with Harry Potter and dragon both were not on par with their respective books. Though still interesting but on a lesser level.

Return to “Films and Books”