What books do you think deserves to be made into a film?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Denysaputra
Bookshelf Size: 0

What books do you think deserves to be made into a film?

Post by Denysaputra »

Hey all, what books do you think deserves to be made into a film which will be great? :?:
Butterbescotch

Post by Butterbescotch »

Maybe books that offers a great deal of thoughts and feelings and in most cases, probably popular.

I really like want to see a director to try Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. Let's see how good he is.
Denysaputra

Post by Denysaputra »

Butterbescotch wrote:Maybe books that offers a great deal of thoughts and feelings and in most cases, probably popular.

I really like want to see a director to try Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. Let's see how good he is.
I hope Steven Spielberg will heard! :lol:
Butterbescotch

Post by Butterbescotch »

Even if does, he can't. The rights of the book is not allowed to be adapted to a movie. Salinger declared it himself.
Jp1978

Post by Jp1978 »

I tend to think the opposite way. I hope none of my favorites ever get made into movies.
Denysaputra

Post by Denysaputra »

Jp1978 wrote:I tend to think the opposite way. I hope none of my favorites ever get made into movies.
Interesting! Why??
Butterbescotch

Post by Butterbescotch »

Because almost movie tie-ins, if not all, are a disgrace and disappointment to the book.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Butterbescotch wrote:Because almost movie tie-ins, if not all, are a disgrace and disappointment to the book.
@ Butterbescotch .... I'll second that
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Butterbescotch wrote:Because almost movie tie-ins, if not all, are a disgrace and disappointment to the book.
Thats a bit generalized. Its impossible to please all book fans when making a movie but there are many critical successes that have remained faithful to the book, The Road and The Shawshank Redemption being two prime examples. Others include The Client, Misery, Lord of the Rings trilogy etc.

As for books i would like to see made into movies:

1. Digital Fortress by Dan Brown, i think this would make a great movie in my opinion

2. A Thousand Splendid Suns

3. The Winter Ghosts

4. The Shack

5. The Graveyard Book

6. Duma Key
You only live once.....so live!
Rest_In_Pieces

Post by Rest_In_Pieces »

I'm not all that fond of literal adaptations, to be honest. Personally, I really like it when filmmakers just take one concept from a book or short story and roll with it, creating something different entirely. In such instances, the resulting film (when well-made of course) has more of a value and merit than when they were just adapting a story that already existed. It often seems redundant when they do that.
Don't leave home without your sword - your intellect. - Alan Moore
Pigs on the Wing

Post by Pigs on the Wing »

I feel like Brave New World or 1984 could make interesting movies
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

Pigs on the Wing wrote:I feel like Brave New World or 1984 could make interesting movies
1984 has been made into a movie, not once but twice. It was originally made into a film in 1956, and the latest version which was made in 1984 :) starring John Hurt and Richard Burton. It received mixed reviews from the press.
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Gannon wrote:1984 has been made into a movie, not once but twice. It was originally made into a film in 1956, and the latest version which was made in 1984 starring John Hurt and Richard Burton. It received mixed reviews from the press.
Rarely does a filmmaker reproduce a book faithfully, capturing all its nuances and subtleties, to satisfy the reader. LOTR apparently came close but JRR Tolkien was not available for comment. I often hear of readers who will watch the movie but it’s uncommon for movie-goers to rush out afterwards and buy the book.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Pigs on the Wing

Post by Pigs on the Wing »

Wow why have I never known that, I have a movie to watch now!
Jp1978

Post by Jp1978 »

Because almost movie tie-ins, if not all, are a disgrace and disappointment to the book.
Yup, same reason. While there are exceptions as mentioned by Stephen Kingman, there aren't enough to convince me.

Return to “Films and Books”