Book first or movie first?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
kasedy Fairbairn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasedy-fairbairn.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Re: Book first or movie first?

Post by kasedy Fairbairn »

I have to read the book first. Even though I get extremely mad when the movie is wrong. For example the Percey Jackson movies are completely wrong. The story line is not even close to matching the book. I can not even watch the movies anymore.
Sabahat Kamran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabahat-kamran.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Sabahat Kamran »

I don't really have a preference because most of the time I see adaptations as a separate thing from the book. There have been times when I've seen a movie and then read the book and thought the book just added more to the story, but then there are times when I love the book so much more and think the movie didn't do a great adaptation. I feel like adaptations work well if the author has some sort of creative input into the movie or tv show. For example, Gone Girl is a great adaptation because the author wrote the screenplay.
Davis Visari
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Davis Visari »

There are few cases that movies are more splendid than the books. One of the most famous is the Game of thrones serial . This compared to
the books saga.

Regards

But in general rule is better to read the book first. Usually the books have plenty of details for the plot and the ideas are more clear.
Faatimah Noormahomed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faatimah-noormahomed.html
Latest Review: Karrana by Anne Skyvington
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Faatimah Noormahomed »

I ALWAYS read the book first. Whether it's a movie or a series, I need to read the book first. In fact, I haven't watched Pride and Prejudice yet because I still need to read the book :lol:
Imae27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Imae27 »

I'll read the book first but then never finish the movie LOL
Ohna Martin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohna-martin.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ohna Martin »

I would say books first. Books explain more. They tend to cut out pieces of the books to make the movie time fit and sometimes those pieces are very important.
POETIC PACIFIC
Favorite Book: The Illuminati Conspiracy
Currently Reading: The Poetic Pacific
Bookshelf Size: 220

Post by POETIC PACIFIC »

I think reading the story first and later watching the movie will really make it interesting. It's like making your imagination come to life, or in reality. I mean in a storybook, the scenes you read do not seem to be movable or lively, although they may be described accordingly.
So the movie is like a different format in which your story is being told.
a musical mind!
Mistie Bickford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mistie-bickford.html
Latest Review: Proud to Be Me Rosalinda Part 2 by Jesse Moreno

Post by Mistie Bickford »

I would read the book first before watching the movie. The book is almost always so much better than the movie. I find if I watch the movie first, I don't usually read the book afterward.
Christabel Egbeama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-egbeama.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
Reading Device: B09KBSDRDG

Post by Christabel Egbeama »

Book first before the movie. Once you see the movie first, you have automatically lost the personal visualization card. Whenever you read about a character, you can't help but remember the character used in the movie. (In short, the movie robs the luxury of creating a picture of the scenery and characters in your mind).
TusharJoshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tusharjoshi.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by TusharJoshi »

Movies first. While movies can capture a lot of the iconic scenes in the book- they will always leave behind the crux of the story in one way or the other. You will always have more content to grasp if you go through the movie first. More often than not, going through the book first may leave you disappointed with the movie!
IgnisRhapsody
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ignisrhapsody.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by IgnisRhapsody »

I prefer to see the movie first, because if I read the book first, then the movie disappoints me because of its lack of content. But if I watch the movie first, it's easier to enjoy the book thinking that it's an extended version with deleted scenes.
Comfort Ansah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-comfort-ansah.html

Post by Comfort Ansah »

I would like to read the book first because once I watch the movie first, I would get lazy to read the book.
Agatha Bushguy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agatha-bushguy.html

Post by Agatha Bushguy »

I watch the movies first because I know I will never want to watch them after reading a book. Why? Because books are so much better.
Agatha Bushguy
Currently Reading:

Post by Agatha Bushguy »

IgnisRhapsody wrote: 26 Aug 2022, 19:21 I prefer to see the movie first, because if I read the book first, then the movie disappoints me because of its lack of content. But if I watch the movie first, it's easier to enjoy the book thinking that it's an extended version with deleted scenes.
You spoke my mind here. We should be friend.
Agatha Bushguy
Currently Reading:

Post by Agatha Bushguy »

TusharJoshi wrote: 16 Jul 2022, 05:43 Movies first. While movies can capture a lot of the iconic scenes in the book- they will always leave behind the crux of the story in one way or the other. You will always have more content to grasp if you go through the movie first. More often than not, going through the book first may leave you disappointed with the movie!
I agree with this 100%.

Return to “Films and Books”