Book first or movie first?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Kelly Tunstall
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-tunstall.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Re: Book first or movie first?

Post by Kelly Tunstall »

I would read the book first as this is where the story originates from and the author deserves to be heard. Movie adaptations can be of a high standard, but the book almost always holds a far bigger viewpoint than a movie. Stories are edited and characters left out which can change the meaning of the book to such as extent, it could put you off even trying to read what the author was saying.
Outsiders4evs
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Outsiders4evs »

Muffinhead wrote: 23 Dec 2011, 20:43 I am curious, when there is a movie that is based on a book, do most of you read the book first then see the movie or do you see the movie and then read the book?
I would definitely read the book first. I have tried watching the movie before reading the book, and it didn't work out. I ended up having no interest in the novel after I had already watched the movie. On the flip side, I find that reading the book first is a much better option. The reader has the opportunity to visualize the characters and scenes before seeing someone else's adaptation.
Wanjla Carl
Favorite Author: by Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjla-carl.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz
fav_author_id: 221705

Post by Wanjla Carl »

For me I would prefer reading a book first before watching the movie. This is because it allows me to create my own mental image of the characters and the settings. After this when I go see the movie, it would be more enjoyable.
Jacob Mamman
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacob-mamman.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by Jacob Mamman »

"Matilda" by Roald Dahl was my introduction to the enchanting world of books. Matilda's resilience and love for reading resonated, leaving an enduring appreciation for literature.
Amanda Meira
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-meira.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Amanda Meira »

It depends, I personally prefer to read the book first, because it will always be more in-depth, however, if the film already exists, I look at the cast, as I'm terrible at creating faces for each character.
João Ramos
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jo-o-ramos.html
Latest Review: Impromptu by Reid Hoffman

Post by João Ramos »

There is no way to fully appreciate the book if you have already seen the movie. The opposite, if the movie is well made, often happens. I remember seeing the first LOTR trilogy in theaters for the first time: it was amazing. And I don’t need to say how much I liked the books.
wedwilson
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 38
fav_author_id: 2460
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 37%

Post by wedwilson »

Book and Movie Both
Tobi Adefila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobi-adefila.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Tobi Adefila »

I prefer to read the book first at least to have little knowledge of what will be displayed on the screen. If I decide to watch the movie first I will no longer be interested in reading the book.
BHUMI D
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhumi-d.html
Latest Review: Binge by Anne Pfeffer

Post by BHUMI D »

Jacob wrote: 24 Dec 2011, 04:53 I would read the book, especially if it's first. I like to compare between the movies and the books and see what's different. 99% of the time the book is better, because it can do better things then a movie can do.
Agree. Would always prefer reading the books before watching the movie. Even if I watch a movie first and read that book later - I end up liking the book better than the movies.
There are only two exceptions -
The only series in which I liked the movies better than the books is Twilight.
And so far it is only Lord of the Rings, where I liked both - the books and the movies.
Latest Review: Binge by Anne Pfeffer
Aroona Kashif
Favorite Author: Ana Huang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aroona-kashif.html
Latest Review: The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut
fav_author_id: 32219

Post by Aroona Kashif »

Book first, and if I watch a movie first then find out it has a book, I definitely add it to my reading list.
all’s fair in love and poetry

Return to “Films and Books”