Book first or movie first?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Shakiru A
Currently Reading: Bloody Redemption
Bookshelf Size: 31

Re: Book first or movie first?

Post by Shakiru A »

Reading novel first will assist me to understand the movie, I like to read first instead of watching movie
Mountainbreeze23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mountainbreeze23.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by Mountainbreeze23 »

I guess a lot depends on the content. Hunger Games is pure action, so the movie would have to be better or as good, at least. If the content is more reflective, inward, or philosophical, then definitely the movie will not be able to convey everything the book has. Unless the book has a striking visual element (like the setting in Life of Pi), in which the movie brings that to life more easily than the book. I guess it also depends on the person? There are 'book people' and 'movie people'!
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

Sometimes i read the book first, other times i watch the movie/mini series/tv series first.

Also personally i view the book and movie/mini series/tv series adaption as being set in an alternative universe from the book.
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
Liveforchrist51
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liveforchrist51.html
Latest Review: The Hundredth Time Around by Stacy Lee

Post by Liveforchrist51 »

Books should definitely be first. There are so many more details and it’s hard to pack all of that into a movie. Movies do skip over a lot of things and it is harder to have a personal relationship with the characters. Once you read the book, you will feel more connected when it is time to start watching the movie.
FJCJ55
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by FJCJ55 »

Such a good question. The only movie I can remember reading the book first and followed with the movie was The Kite Runner. I was so disappointed by the movie and thought it somehow didn't do justice to the film. It just the quality was not as good. For that reason, only, I feel like I'd prefer film first which I feel I am committing a crime admitting this on this forum.
Nathaniel Owolabi
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-owolabi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nathaniel Owolabi »

I always read the books first, if I otherwise watch the movies first I won't be able time read the book anymore.
TriptiK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-triptik.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by TriptiK »

The movie first, & then the book(s); the reason being that having watched the movie imparts you the idea of the characters ( their persona, and sometimes finding the right face for a character while reading could be annoying, at least for me), & the surrounding of certain scenes.
Imagine reading Harry Potter riding on a broom without already have seen Harry do it on the screen: I have no idea what my flair for creative imagination could have forced me to think of it :D
So, yeah, movies increase the joy while reading the book on the same.
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

Book first or reading won't be interesting if you already know the ending.
Kajol Dadhania
Favorite Book: Open Water
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajol-dadhania.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kajol Dadhania »

Definitely book first, cause if I see the movie first I will not be able to imagine the character and story the way I want to. Reading would feel like reliving the movie and not like reading a book.
Imagine if we had no secrets, no respite from the truth. What if everything was laid bare the moment, we introduced ourselves?
Prarthna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prarthna.html
Latest Review: The Farmer by Sam Braidwood

Post by Prarthna »

I guess it depends on my mood. But generally I like to read the book first and then watch the movie because while reading book I can let my imagination run wild and there are so many details which the movie is not able to cover.
Ciska C
Favorite Book: Atlas Shrugged
Currently Reading: Unf*ck your intimacy
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciska-c.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by Ciska C »

A tricky one. Generally I find that if I read the book, the movie is disappointing. And if I see the movie first, then I’m constantly finding fault with it when I read the book.

I tend to agree that you should pick the media for consumption and stick to it. If you’ve read the book, take a skip on the movie and vice versa.
toointofiction
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 512
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toointofiction.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by toointofiction »

I prefer book first, movie later, but there are so many books and so little time, sometimes I just give up and watch the movie first.
bhart1988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhart1988.html
Latest Review: The Newton Code by Liam Fialkov

Post by bhart1988 »

The book first. Inevitably the movie usually lets me down.
Little_Lotte
Currently Reading: Rimas
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-lotte.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Little_Lotte »

Definitely, the book comes first, I feel a little disappointed when I see a movie and then realize there was a book. there is this thrill that comes from reading and imagining the world in your head, and then to see this world come to life in a movie. otherwise, you are a little biased with the director's vision when reading the book afterwards.
Kanika Tandon
Currently Reading: Of winners and losers
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanika-tandon.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Kanika Tandon »

Usually, the book first. That is the norm I follow. Be it Harry Potter series, Dan Brown books or any other. I read Hunger Games-book one and two after watching the movie series.

Return to “Films and Books”