Lgbt Books

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
skykiy
Currently Reading: the gentleman's guide to vice and virture
Bookshelf Size: 19

Lgbt Books

Post by skykiy »

I mostly read books about/with lgbt characters. I hope that on this website with so many fellow book lovers that I could not only find out about new and upcoming lgbt book but also talk about our views on said books. I would love it if you respond with lgbt books you would recommend or even message me about some of your favorites :D :D
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Malinda Lo's Ash is actually pretty good. It's a lgbt retelling of Cinderella that involves fairies and huntresses.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
gulmira
Currently Reading: The End of Eternity
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gulmira.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by gulmira »

I am not sure if you want a book about being lgbtq+, or any kinds of book featuring queer people. So i will try to recommend one for both being lgbtq+ and featuring lgbtq+. Also i will try to include as different sexual orientations as possible.

If you want soft read "Tales of the City" series by Armistead Maupin would do the trick. This series follows several characters of different sexual orientation from '70s. But a little warning, this book is basically a soap opera, thus characters might felt one dimensional.

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz: It is about discovering sexuallity and aan absolutely charming love story between two boys

"They Both Die at the End" by Adam Silvera: Perfect. Just read it.

The Miseducation of Cameron by Emily Danfort: More of a coming of age novel than a coming out one, but 9/10 nonetheless. The book is about a cute lesbian, Cameron Post, and her struggles with conservative environment. I've never read a better book that captures the uncertanity of being gay.

Style by Chelsea M.Cameron: I won't add another lesbian romance on this list. However being so different from Danfort's novel, this surely needs to be added. If you like to read about two teenage girsl being awkward around each other/ tease one another, this is your gem.

Queen of Geeks and The Brightsider by Jen Wilde: Speaking of bisexuality, Jen Wilde really is my fav. I love how Wilde portray's her characters and as a bi myself i really can relate to her books.

If I was Your Girl by Meredith Russo: Author is trans herself, so it is a great piece about understanding a trans person's struggles on acceptance.

Peter Darling by Austin Chant: Retelling of Peter Pan as a trans character. A character who doesn’t want to grow up to be a man. This book never fails to make you surprise. Trust me, transexual Peter Pan is not the only surprise.

Let's Talk About Love by Claire Kann: Asexual representation is all you need is life.

Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire: The best thing about this book is that it is a perfect thriller itself and a cute asexual character is just another plus for this book.

PS: Speaking of lgbtq+ books, "A Lİttle Life" by Hanna Yanagihara was the first one that comes to my mind, but i was not sure whether include this or not. So i am adding this with a warning. It focuses on four classmates' life after school and depths of male relationships. The book is so black-white for my taste (i really enjoy reading grey characters) and from time to time might be a little implausable and historically non-acurate. But if you don't mind reading about abuse (it was pretty graphic btw), i think you'd like it.

PS2: Oh boy. There is just so many good books out there. But if i let myself write all of them this list will not end. So i shorten the list (it is the short version, really) by just mentioning some of the best ones. But if you are interested just let me know. I would gladly recommend a few more.

PS3: This books might be a little serious for your taste. If you are interested in more ya books than let me know it as well.
SpiritPhoenix
Currently Reading: Lady Chatterley's Lover
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spiritphoenix.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by SpiritPhoenix »

gulmira wrote: 21 Jul 2019, 12:06
PS2: Oh boy. There is just so many good books out there. But if i let myself write all of them this list will not end. So i shorten the list (it is the short version, really) by just mentioning some of the best ones. But if you are interested just let me know. I would gladly recommend a few more.
Wow! That's quite the list. I loved Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe and They Both Die in the End. The rest I'm making a note of for my tbr pile. Thank you!
A ship may be safe in the harbour, but that's not what ships are meant for.
SpiritPhoenix
Currently Reading: Lady Chatterley's Lover
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spiritphoenix.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by SpiritPhoenix »

Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller is absolutely beautiful. It's inspired by Homer's Iliad.
A ship may be safe in the harbour, but that's not what ships are meant for.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Love this thread.

Need to remember to post some suggestions, but for right now...SUBSCRIBING!
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Amanda Howard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-howard.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Amanda Howard »

skykiy wrote: 20 Jul 2019, 23:03 I mostly read books about/with lgbt characters. I hope that on this website with so many fellow book lovers that I could not only find out about new and upcoming lgbt book but also talk about our views on said books. I would love it if you respond with lgbt books you would recommend or even message me about some of your favorites :D :D

Ah there are so many good ones!! Anything by Julie Ann Peters was always great. As for specific books, I particularly liked Far from Xanadu and Luna.

For new-ish books, George is a children’s chapter book that I highly recommend, as well as I Am Jazz and her recent memoir.
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

Finding this topic, I am actually surprised I do not know any book that fits into this category completely. However, I have just finished reviewing Geraldine by Edmund Aristone, and there are some LGBT characters in the book. This lecture should come with a trigger warning for many possible readers though. You can find it up to review if you are interested.
MRose200293
Currently Reading: Fahrenheit 451
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrose200293.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by MRose200293 »

Girl Mans Up by M-E Girard is a great WLW novel!! It’s sometimes hard to find LGBTQ+ novels about girls, so I always like to recommend them when I get the chance. Another good one is The Music of What Happens by Bill Konigsberg. Super cute story about two boys running a food truck together (while still having certain heavy aspects)
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Nisha Ward wrote: 20 Jul 2019, 23:27 Malinda Lo's Ash is actually pretty good. It's a lgbt retelling of Cinderella that involves fairies and huntresses.
Yes, I agree!!!! Absolutely loved it!! What a complex female protagonist though.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters is an exciting favorite of mine. Nan grew up as an oyster girl and leaves home with a stage performer who does most of her shows in drag. Later on she wanders the country assuming different identities, serving one "master" or another. She alternates feminine and masculine clothing, depending on the situation. Though a somber read at times, Nan surprisingly has a lot of freedom and power as a female dressed as a male (with most of the general public knowing about it, openly). Adventurous, explicit, but fun!

Almost all of Waters' books specialize in LGBT during Industrial England. Even though all of the plots are completely different, the general location/theme are the same. So if you are looking for more books of the like, she's the author for you! I own just about every book she's written, and still working on it. She has such a descriptive, immersive writing that is other-worldy, pulling you into the moment with characters. I highly recommend her work! :tiphat:
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
books_andpoetrii
Currently Reading: Crazy Rich Asians
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-andpoetrii.html
Latest Review: Small Change by Keddie Hughes

Post by books_andpoetrii »

Red White and Royal Blue
On Earth We Are Briefly Gorgeous
They Both Die in the End
Something Like Gravity

:tiphat:
Ashliicat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashliicat.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ashliicat »

I'm always looking for books with LGBT characters. I identify better with male characters and find it much better in terms if my interests when the love interest is male as well. The types of books with LGBT characters is certainly better than it was, but I still find a lot of the time they are still mostly geared towards the coming out/life experience story rather than having main characters in a range of genre who just happen to be LGBT. I love YA dystopian type books, but a lot of the time the romantic elements are frustrating (at least to me) or I'm not too much into the main character. Hunger Games is one I like from this genre, Divergent not so much. One book which I think does well at not making a big deal out of the character's sexuality, is an intresting story, and is within the sci-fi/ dystopian genre is More Than This by Patrick Ness. It was the first ever book I read with an LGBT character, and it wasn't intentional at that point, but it introduced me to that community of characters and I love it for that. Patrick Ness' books in general are great.
azidy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azidy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by azidy »

Luckily, the lgbtq+ genre has been getting a lot of interesting additions in the past couple of years!

If you're looking for something with a high-school theme, I would recommend the Openly Straight series by Bill Konigsberg. The books offer a realistic take on many issues from a unique perspective and I think it's worth checking out if you're bored with the cliche coming-out stories.

The Six of Crows duology by Leigh Bardugo and The Raven Cycle books by Maggie Stiefvater both have lgbtq+ characters, but these are fantasy books so the main focus isn't on the romance. Nevertheless, they are both interesting and great for when you don't want a classic romantic story.

My absolute favorite is definitely Call Me By Your Name by André Aciman! It's raw and addictive, with flawed characters and realistic scenes. It contains some adult language and explicit descriptions so I wouldn't recommend it to younger readers or those who want a picture-perfect couple.

The last book I'll mention is This Is How It Always Is by Laurie Frankel. It's a story told from the parents' perspective on how it's like to raise a child with gender dysphoria. The book isn't perfect and I can't say I'd give it 4 stars, but it's different and raises a lot of important questions we rarely think about.
cluthrie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejucide
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cluthrie.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by cluthrie »

Sarah Waters is great! I'm working through her books too.

Fingersmith is my favorite so far. It is gothic, creepy, suspenseful, and above all a great story. It is one of those books that kept me up all night reading.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”