Books based on true stories

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Maddymory
Bookshelf Size: 0

Books based on true stories

Post by Maddymory »

:D
I’m looking for the best award winning books that are about someone’s life, it can be in first or third person. I particularly love when you can learn a lot from the book e.g Wild Swans and leaning about China in the 40’s.

Some examples of what I’ve loved in the past are : wild swans , the help, educated.
mary-annef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-annef.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Post by mary-annef »

Hi @Maddymory, one of my all-time favorites is Extra Virgin by Annie Hawes. It's the true story of how two British sisters on a working holiday discover they can buy a little farm in Liguria, Italy for the price of a second-hand car back home. Annie eventually moves there permanently and her stories are funny and charming. It's a view onto a changing country - young people aren't interested in taking over their parents' farms and life for the old people is easier in the village.
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

I just got done with The Nazi Officer's Wife by Edith Hahn Beer. It follows Edith as she and her family go through the german invasion, and she talks about how the Jewish people lived and were treated during the holocaust. Its a truly eye opening read, and I highly recommend it
Empan16
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-empan16.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by Empan16 »

There is a book called Ragdolls that a holocaust survivor wrote. It is a short read but very impactful and educational. I highly recommend it.
Empan16
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-empan16.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by Empan16 »

The Hot Zone by Richard Preston is a nonfiction book about the Ebola virus. We read it for my biology class and it was very good.
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by khaulah »

I would recommend Nothing To Envy by Barbara Demick, and Escape from Camp 14. As you said you like wild swans, I'm sure you'll love these books. They are true accounts of people who defected North Korea. How life was like in North korea, the whys and hows of defection.

I don't think the books have won any awards, but they certainly won my heart. Also, you get to learn about the famine in North Korea in 1990's in great detail.
Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

The Hiding Place is an incredible story about a woman who hides Jews during the Holocaust. It’s a beautiful story, I would absolutely recommend it!
-Thea M. Frederick
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

The Art of Asking by Amanda Palmer
The Lonliest man in the world by Eugene K. Bird
Most of Paulo Coelho's books
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Amna Khalid