BOOKS that are DOWNRIGHT CREEPY and MINDBLOWING

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Savannah M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannah-m.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Icon BOOKS that are DOWNRIGHT CREEPY and MINDBLOWING

Post by Savannah M »

I've been looking for books that made you:
- cringe because it is utterly creepy
- mindblown
- question reality
- paranoid
- and stuff related to those.

P.S.: Books that gives you goosebumps as well

A lot of thank you in advance...
alexandriaNS
Currently Reading: A Reaper at the Gates
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandrians.html
Latest Review: Days Passed by Mcentry Dunbar II

Post by alexandriaNS »

Flowers in the Attic by V. C. Andrews is really creepy. More so because it could realistically happen - like something you'd hear about on an episode of Oprah or Dr. Phil.
It doesn't make me paranoid or question reality though, I'm looking forward to reading more replies!
Savannah M
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Savannah M »

alexandriaNS wrote: 19 Apr 2020, 12:21 Flowers in the Attic by V. C. Andrews is really creepy. More so because it could realistically happen - like something you'd hear about on an episode of Oprah or Dr. Phil.
It doesn't make me paranoid or question reality though, I'm looking forward to reading more replies!
Wow, I've searched the book and the plot is creepy and almost everything is wrong with their family. I'll definitely read it. Thanks for the recommendation.
realHope
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by realHope »

Archer's Voice, it was full of roller coaster ride. It looked like heroine was talking to a ghost at the beginning but at end my emotions were flowing out of my eyes.
Savannah M
Currently Reading:

Post by Savannah M »

realHope wrote: 20 Apr 2020, 05:43 Archer's Voice, it was full of roller coaster ride. It looked like heroine was talking to a ghost at the beginning but at end my emotions were flowing out of my eyes.
I'll read it as soon as I have the time. It feels like I'm going to have a tear-jerking moment with this book.
Amy Murdoch Coleman
Favorite Book: Circe
Currently Reading: Hannah's War
Bookshelf Size: 6988
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-murdoch-coleman.html
Latest Review: Caretaker by George Farrell

Post by Amy Murdoch Coleman »

I really enjoyed Phantoms by Dean Koontz. It's a truly bizarre story.
Julie-p
Currently Reading: Demian
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-p.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Julie-p »

The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka made me cringe. The whole criticism is brilliant and the meaning of the book is really interesting, and I would totally recommend it. But I can't deny that I felt really weird and disgusted when reading it, specially with some descriptions he writes (though I felt like this was the point of the book).
Grace Bela
Currently Reading: Jesus Calling
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-bela.html
Latest Review: Moon Luck by Wayne Scott Harral

Post by Grace Bela »

Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer. It's amazing! It mixes beautiful details with mystery, doubt, and surprises to create a wonderfully enthralling creepy atmosphere.
Amanda Nicole Newton
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nicole-newton.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Amanda Nicole Newton »

It depends on how creepy you want. Stephen King is definitely a good one that can cover the range of creepy from spine-tingling to bloody gore. Needful Things is one of my favorites because unlike in others there never really is an answer for why everything happens or how to stop it.
Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”
Disquisitive
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-disquisitive.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Disquisitive »

Maggot Moon by Sally Gardner. It hits all of the 4 points that you wanted. Although that book is often categorized as young adult fiction, it can be read equally well by adults. It's so creepy that I actually feel that it's better suited to adults than teens.
Varsha22
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-varsha22.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Varsha22 »

Home before dark by Riley Sager is really creepy and mysterious in all the right ways.
It will make you think about what to really fear?
m+c4
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-c4.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by m+c4 »

Amanda Newton wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 19:25 It depends on how creepy you want. Stephen King is definitely a good one that can cover the range of creepy from spine-tingling to bloody gore. Needful Things is one of my favorites because unlike in others there never really is an answer for why everything happens or how to stop it.
Always!! Can't go wrong with King.
My other top picks would be Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk it is dark and funny and very horrifying and the classic Lord of the Flies by William Golding.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

The Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot. I actually never finished the book because I started it right before I went back to college. I think it's creepy and it would (or parts would) probably fall under the category of philosophy of the mind or neuroscience. It talks a little about experiments that have been performed on the brains of animals (mostly rats and at least one cat) and people in order to conclude that things like memory are sometimes holographic. I'm not sure if it was this book or another that talked about how if the connective tissue separating the brain is divided, then the hand run by part of the brain (left or right) that normally completes a task will push the other hand out of the way so that it can perform it's task. (Reminds me of "Evil Dead II") If you think these are creepy, then books of that nature might do.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
V-20
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-20.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by V-20 »

You can consider Cormoran Strike series by Robert Galbraith. I am not into creepy stories but there's a scene in this book that bugged me when I read it.
Stay safe! Sending hugs
x Val
A Y reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-y-reviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by A Y reviews »

Check out phantoms. It's crazy

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”