Otherworldly Magical Books

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
PetraWelch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-petrawelch.html
Latest Review: Zodiac Signs by Smilena Kirilova

Icon Otherworldly Magical Books

Post by PetraWelch »

Hi there!
I am in search of new books to fall in love with.
My favourite stories are Harry Potter, The Golden Compass, The City of Bones, Charlie Bone and May Bird.
I am looking for interesting worlds, magic, romance, parallel dimensions, and unique topics.
(But no vampires or werewolves please.)
I usually really enjoy young adult fiction, so please feel free to flood me with your favourite recommendations!
Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

I think you would love The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. It is very good! The character development and creativity is incredible. The author creates such an incredible world which has it’s own cities, languages, and cultures. Plus, the plot is exciting and engaging. Definitely keeps you on the edge of your seat! But one of my favorite parts about the book is the characters. They are so wonderful, and very relatable. I love them! Everything is so thoroughly thought out it is crazy. But what I love about it is it’s not just a fun read, it is well written and has some very interesting themes in it as well. I am almost done with the first book and I love it. :D
-Thea M. Frederick
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis-seres-rodriguez.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

The Deverry Series by Katherine Kerr are glorious if you're into magic with a romance sub plot full of action and drama.
Another book that i found pretty awesome is Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: Hunters by Athena Luo

Post by khaulah »

The farseer series by Robin hobb. It has got assasins, magic, wonderful plot, interesting protagonist and antagonist.
Latest Review: Hunters by Athena Luo
Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

Oh, I just thought of another one. The Golden Princess and the Moon is a wonderful retelling of sleeping beauty, but it’s different enough to provide a vey interesting story.
It is very magical with the faeries and spells, etc. A lovely story and great read!
-Thea M. Frederick
lourosenb
Currently Reading: The Absolute at Large
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lourosenb.html
Latest Review: Enoch’s Challenge by Warren W. Ward
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lourosenb »

How about the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull? The main characters are a brother and sister whose grandfather (initially unbeknownst to them) owns a secret nature preserve for magical creatures. I thought it was an interesting premise and remember enjoying the books, though it has been a while since I last read them.
Julie-p
Currently Reading: Demian
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-p.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Julie-p »

I would recommend you Lord of the Rings and Hobbit for a very well built magical world. I loved throne of glass and court of thorns and roses, but those are a bit on the romance side. Shadow and Bone is a good one also.
Smharden
Currently Reading: The Birth
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by Smharden »

I recommend you try the house of night 12 book series by P.C. Cast followed by a spin-off series house of night Other World that so far has 3 books and the 4th is to be released on July 2020. It has magic vampires romance drama and all that good stuff. Then there is also the Fallen series which contains 5 books. Fallen consists of magic and fallen angels good and bad it also has romance and drama and a great storyline. I personally have read all the books in all 3 series and loved it. I can’t wait for the one that comes out in July It’s addictive.
Alyssa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Alyssa »

The Shades of Magic by V.E. Schwann is a great 3 book series, I can’t say enough good about them. Really engaging, set in an alternate world (very similar to ours but with magic) and is a bit on the dark side. She also has some other books which aren’t part of the series. Hope you enjoy
Olukemi16
Currently Reading: Wounded Angels
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olukemi16.html
Latest Review: 2612 Cherryhill Lane by Glenn Vo

Post by Olukemi16 »

THE KINGKILLER CHRONICLE series by Patrick Rothfuss!!!
PetraWelch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-petrawelch.html
Latest Review: Zodiac Signs by Smilena Kirilova

Post by PetraWelch »

Wow thank you so much everyone! I have a lot of book shopping (the best kind of shopping) I need to do now :)
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

I have recommended this book many times here, but I think this is the just the book you’re looking for. “Strange the Dreamer” and “Muse of Nightmares”. It’s a duology by Laini Taylor and it’s so good. The book involves angels, gods and demigods, and many more. It has an intricate plot and complex characters and the writing has a superbly poetic feel in it. I advice you to dive in to the book without knowing much for better experience!
A Y reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-y-reviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by A Y reviews »

Wow thanks everyone. These books will definitely be interesting to read.
chaugeen
Currently Reading: Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda
Bookshelf Size: 1326

Post by chaugeen »

I recommend The Magicians by Lev Grossman. It is a book about a high school senior who’s admitted to a magical college. While it sounds like Harry Potter, it’s much more grown up (the characters drink, for example) and the book gets far more in depth about the mechanics of actually doing magic. It’s fascinating.
missen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missen.html
Latest Review: The Girl in the mural by Iris

Post by missen »

I would recommend The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater. It has four books and the new trilogy is being written. They are young adult books and very magical, in all ways that count. The writing style is stunning and the characters are amazing. Check it out!

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”