Book Suggestion for Middle School Students? (Age 11-13)

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Thabo Sibanda 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thabo-sibanda-1.html
Latest Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez

Re: Book Suggestion for Middle School Students? (Age 11-13)

Post by Thabo Sibanda 1 »

You are a bad*ss by Jen Sincerois definitely one to check out. It helped me build raw unshakable confidence in my teenage life.
ivaaaa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ivaaaa »

The perks of being a wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. I personally enjoyed this book at that age and its still one of the books I hold closest to my heart. Also, another book I enjoyed at that ege is Looking for Alaska by John Green. I think that its important that kids at that age read some of the classics, but this is middle school me speaking and thise two books i adored and back then i wasnt a big fan of reading so i would recommend them to any middle schooler.
Mikayla Young 2
Currently Reading: Chinese Myths and Tales
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mikayla-young-2.html
Latest Review: "Dumb" Orphans by Allan Low
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 105%

Post by Mikayla Young 2 »

Middle-grade series and standalone I have read, enjoyed, and would recommend are:
- Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan (fantasy, mythology, diverse)
- Nevermoor series by Jessica Townsend (fantasy, magic)
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (Classic historical fiction)
- Wings of Fire series by Tui T. Sutherland (fantasy, dragons)
- The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (fantasy, fiction)
-Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo (fiction)
Annija Marta Meldere
Currently Reading: The Bulletproof Missionary
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annija-marta-meldere.html
Latest Review: Eternity by Carlos

Post by Annija Marta Meldere »

Bigwig1973 wrote: 30 May 2021, 17:40 It's been a long time since I read children's books! I would agree that the Narnia and Little House on the Prairie would be good. I read a lot of James Herriot books in Middle School. I think Judy Blume wrote a lot of books intended for children that age. S.E. Hinton. I think I only read a few of them - Rumble Fish and The Outsiders. Encyclopedia Brown books, maybe? A Series of Unfortunate Events. I would recommend Harry Potter, but I actually haven't read those! A nice collection of short stories would be nice as would a book of poetry. Robert Frost, of course, comes to mind. Selected stories by Poe. I don't know of any of the top of my head though! Aesop's Fables and some Kipling. Maybe a little Jack London? Call of the Wild and White Fang. Robinson Crusoe"Bartleby the Scrivener" by Melville is a good short story, "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" by Coleridge, "The Grand Inquisitor" is a part of Dostoevsky's The Brother's Karamazov and has a religious theme. The Red Pony and Of Mice and Men, To Kill a Mockingbird. The Pearl. My Antonia by Cather. Books providing an introduction to different things in life: mathematics, physics, computer, inventors, politicians, philosophers, explorers, sports, cars, etc. One book I really enjoyed was From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. Black Beauty. An age appropriate cookbook? Good luck!
Totally agree about Narnia!
It's so deep and beautifully written, and the character relationships (non-romantic) also are very nice!

It's about children who go to a magical world.

There is some fighting, but I know girls can love it as well. Among the protagonists, there's about an equal number of both of the genders. 😊
Latest Review: Eternity by Carlos
Ambar Gill
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Legendary
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ambar-gill.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by Ambar Gill »

This is such a great question and literally, the best place to ask it. My favourite books from middle school were: Monument 14 by Emmy Laybourne, Anything by Rick Riordan, Harry Potter of course, Inkheart by Cornelia Funke, Eragon by Christopher Paolini, Maze Runner by James Dashner, The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani and Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children by Ranson Riggs. I hope this was helpful! Good luck in the new school year!
Ambar Gill :angelic-flying:
Darya Pogromska
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Darya Pogromska »

Hi! Answering your question, I would recommend "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" series by Jane Goldman. There is a total of 6 books, I reckon. Very original universe with amazingly written characters of different sorts. There is some gore and violence, but it's not significant and doesn't take away the essence of the story. I read the first three books (I got gifted them as a pack), and I fell in love with the series! Still love it, and will read the other three books when I can!

:tiphat:
Silvia Sianto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Silvia Sianto »

Space Case by Stuart Gibbs. It is a really interesting book with a big fat plot twist, and the language is suitable for middle schoolers. The protagonist in the book is still a teenager.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”