Anyone who can recommend a good cultural book?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
anoushka_thakur
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anoushka-thakur.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Anyone who can recommend a good cultural book?

Post by anoushka_thakur »

I want to read a book that discusses various cultural stories. Fiction/Non- fiction any book that portrays culture in an interesting way!
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
audreads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-audreads.html
Latest Review: Tujunga by Carlos Alvarado
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by audreads »

Hello Anousha_Thakur!

This is such an interesting recommendation request! I've actually been trying to diversify my reads and include more cultures, so I have some that might interest you:

Fiction:
-Darius the Great Is Not Okay by Adib Khorram - showcases Iranian culture from the point of view of a teen boy struggling with his identity and depression.
-Severance by Ling Ma - showcases Chinese culture in a semi-post-apocalyptic America with flashbacks to childhood memories in China
-A Quiet Kind of Thunder by Sara Barnard - British Deaf culture as depicted through two teens (one who is selectively mute and the other who is Deaf) falling in love
-The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon - Korean American and Jamaican American culture coming together as two teens fall in love the day before the latter is to be deported to Jamaica, a country she's "from" but has never been to
-My Sister the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite - set in Nigeria and follows two sisters, one who has a penchant for murdering her boyfriends in what she claims to be self-defense and the other who helps her clean up, but also fears that her sister may be going after the man she's been in love with
-The Perfect Nanny by Leila Slimani - a translated novel set in France following a wealthy family who hires a nanny to look after their children only for some suspicious things to start happening as the nanny and the family grow closer

Non-Fiction:
-From Here to Eternity: Traveling the World to Find the Good Death by Caitlin Doughty - a mortician travels across the world, learning about and recounting to the reader how various cultures handle the dying, dead, and grief
-The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism by Naoki Higashida - a translated memoir from a thirteen-year-old Japanese boy sharing his experience with having a non-verbal form of autism
-The Girl with Seven Names: A North Korean's Defector Story by Hyeonseo Lee - a translated memoir from a North Korean woman who escaped her country to gain freedom, but in doing so, left behind her family; after decades of passing for Chinese in China, she decides to embark on a mission to rescue her family and bring them to South Korea

Hope you find one you like, though I should mention that most of these deal with heavier topics, so if you're someone who needs trigger warnings, I would recommend you look them up beforehand. Happy reading!
rik17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rik17.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by rik17 »

audreads wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 17:25 Hello Anousha_Thakur!

This is such an interesting recommendation request! I've actually been trying to diversify my reads and include more cultures, so I have some that might interest you:

Fiction:
-Darius the Great Is Not Okay by Adib Khorram - showcases Iranian culture from the point of view of a teen boy struggling with his identity and depression.
-Severance by Ling Ma - showcases Chinese culture in a semi-post-apocalyptic America with flashbacks to childhood memories in China
-A Quiet Kind of Thunder by Sara Barnard - British Deaf culture as depicted through two teens (one who is selectively mute and the other who is Deaf) falling in love
-The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon - Korean American and Jamaican American culture coming together as two teens fall in love the day before the latter is to be deported to Jamaica, a country she's "from" but has never been to
-My Sister the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite - set in Nigeria and follows two sisters, one who has a penchant for murdering her boyfriends in what she claims to be self-defense and the other who helps her clean up, but also fears that her sister may be going after the man she's been in love with
-The Perfect Nanny by Leila Slimani - a translated novel set in France following a wealthy family who hires a nanny to look after their children only for some suspicious things to start happening as the nanny and the family grow closer

Non-Fiction:
-From Here to Eternity: Traveling the World to Find the Good Death by Caitlin Doughty - a mortician travels across the world, learning about and recounting to the reader how various cultures handle the dying, dead, and grief
-The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism by Naoki Higashida - a translated memoir from a thirteen-year-old Japanese boy sharing his experience with having a non-verbal form of autism
-The Girl with Seven Names: A North Korean's Defector Story by Hyeonseo Lee - a translated memoir from a North Korean woman who escaped her country to gain freedom, but in doing so, left behind her family; after decades of passing for Chinese in China, she decides to embark on a mission to rescue her family and bring them to South Korea

Hope you find one you like, though I should mention that most of these deal with heavier topics, so if you're someone who needs trigger warnings, I would recommend you look them up beforehand. Happy reading!
Thank you so much audreads for this long and detailed list!
Disquisitive
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-disquisitive.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Disquisitive »

For a great cultural book, I recommend the crime fiction novel Second Sister by Chan Ho-Kei, translated into English by Jeremy Tiang. It's set in Hong Kong, and I found the cultural background fascinating. The book is about a young woman whose younger sister dies. Her death looks like suicide - but is it?

The book vividly depicts everyday life in Hong Kong, which I found very interesting. The exciting plot also made it very memorable detective novel.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Lines and Shadows by Joseph Wambaugh. It's about border patrol in Mexico and California
The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton. Teens
House of the Dead by Fyodor Dostoevsky. It's about Siberian prisoners a long time ago
Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston. It's about an African/white woman and how she tries to fit into the world
Indian Lawyer by James Welch. Similar theme to Their Eyes Were Watching God but Native American and Caucasian
Germinal by Zola. It's a book about miners and the conditions they endured
The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli It's about rules for royalty. In my personal opinion, it's how to make a small Italian fellow write a book to please what one might assume is probably a kings mistress to help her cope with her inability to decide whether or not Dostoevky's "extraordinary man" and Nietzsche's "superman" are going to win. Like Disney's stuffed animal "Stitch" from "Lilo and Stitch" waiting to have the button pushed so he can declare, "I cannot, I have nothing to wear". Regardless, it's still a good book and well-written, and not very long
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
gab_variable
Currently Reading: Shifting Sands
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gab-variable.html
Latest Review: Valoria by Tayma Tameem

Post by gab_variable »

Hi, Anoushka! Pachinko by Min Jin Lee is a great multigenerational take on Korean culture around the time of the Japanese occupation.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

My name is Red.
The God of Small Things.
Children of the Jacaranda Tree.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”