Looking for a similar book! :)

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Eardun
Bookshelf Size: 0

Looking for a similar book! :)

Post by Eardun »

Hello everyone! I'm reading a comic and I'd like to read a book with a similar plot or character dynamics. It's a love story that combines time travel, mystery and thriller. I tried to outline it below. If anyone stumbled across anything similar, please share it!! :)

The premise is that an empire's on a verge of collapsing because aristocrats struggle for power and use destructive and elaborate magic weapons. The heroine suspects that the one who supplies them with these weapons is the second prince, who is also trying to assasinate her. So it comes to her as a shock when the prince saves her life and gives her a magic vow that he'll protect her at the cost of his life. As the story progresses, she learns that he’s a time a traveler and that the one behind all the problems in the empire is not him, but his parallel self from a parallel timeline. The heroine dies in a number of timelines as a result of his actions, so the hero tries to prevent it because prior to her death, they were lovers...

It's an interesting story and it's still ongoing. I don't know the ending, but I hope you at least get some ideas on what kind of plot I'm looking for...
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Sounds interesting. I, unfortunately don’t know of a book similar to this, but I will keep this post in mind in case I do co e across something.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Hmm, this sounds super interesting! I can't recommend a book like that, but I have seen a Korean drama that is slightly similar. It's called Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo. The girl falls into a pond and time travels to the past where she meets a bunch of princes. There's a bit of historical politics about the kingdom because the brothers are vying for the throne. A few of the princes like her, but she's torn between a couple of them.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Eardun wrote: Hello everyone! I'm reading a comic and I'd like to read a book with a similar plot or character dynamics. It's a love story that combines time travel, mystery and thriller. I tried to outline it below. If anyone stumbled across anything similar, please share it!! :)

The premise is that an empire's on a verge of collapsing because aristocrats struggle for power and use destructive and elaborate magic weapons. The heroine suspects that the one who supplies them with these weapons is the second prince, who is also trying to assasinate her. So it comes to her as a shock when the prince saves her life and gives her a magic vow that he'll protect her at the cost of his life. As the story progresses, she learns that he’s a time a traveler and that the one behind all the problems in the empire is not him, but his parallel self from a parallel timeline. The heroine dies in a number of timelines as a result of his actions, so the hero tries to prevent it because prior to her death, they were lovers...

It's an interesting story and it's still ongoing. I don't know the ending, but I hope you at least get some ideas on what kind of plot I'm looking for...

I don't know of any books that are similar to the comic you mention, but I'm curious as to what comic it is? I'm asking because I know two men from different cities who look similar, both who resemble a figure on a postage stamp from some other country - can't remember which country - but one fellow is rather antisocial, displays strange behaviors, and has sudden and pretty drastic mood changes while the other is friendly - at least to me and seems fairly stable. I wondered if problems in the "nice" guys life had anything to do with the behavior of this guy from another town. Seems far-fetched but it's intrigued me nonetheless.

As far as time travel, mystery, thriller goes, I have seen the movie "The Thirteenth Floor" which was very interesting. The book that the film was based on I have not read, but it is called Simulacron-3 and was written by Daniel F. Galouye. I'm assuming it's more modern and less magical in the commonly accepted sense of the word "magical" than the comic you mention, but it does involve time travel in a fashion, there is a notion of parallel selves, it is mysterious, and it is kind of a thriller.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
pastorlarry
Favorite Author: E.E. Isherwood
Currently Reading: First Wave
Bookshelf Size: 37
fav_author_id: 84150

Post by pastorlarry »

Google "Time Travel Romance Thrillers." You should come across a plethora of good choices. This is typically what I do when suggestions are hard to come by. Good luck!!
Barbara Vertein
Currently Reading: The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-vertein.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Barbara Vertein »

The Alchemist series by Michael Scott isn't quite like this, but there are similar elements. You might enjoy those.
Barbara :tiphat:
Avid consumer of books since I could read and staunch supporter of libraries
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

That exactly sounds like A THOUSAND PIECES OF YOU by Claudia Gray.

I read it last November, I think.
Beautiful cover.
It's part of Firebird series.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Ashley Null
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Ashley Null »

If you haven't read the House of Night series, you should DEFINITELY check it out!

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”