Fantasy, Horror, and Sci-fi

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Anastasia Atkinson
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anastasia-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Fantasy, Horror, and Sci-fi

Post by Anastasia Atkinson »

I enjoyed books like Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson, Solaris Seethes by Janet McNulty, and End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose. I really enjoy fantasy being involved in my readings, but I haven't found a horror fantasy book or book series that really makes you shiver in your bones. The closest I have gotten is the Dreamdark series by Laini Taylor and it was more dark-themed than horror.

Genres I enjoy
-Fantasy
-Sci-fi
-Supernatural Fiction
-Horror Fiction
-Literally any fiction involving space (I have an unhealthy love obsession with space in general)

I can't wait for the suggestions!
Books and stories provide wonderful knowledge and lessons, but I must agree with my father that experience garners wisdom.
~Janet McNulty, excerpt from Solaris Seethes
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

SeraphineYuiki wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 04:41 I enjoyed books like Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson, Solaris Seethes by Janet McNulty, and End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose. I really enjoy fantasy being involved in my readings, but I haven't found a horror fantasy book or book series that really makes you shiver in your bones. The closest I have gotten is the Dreamdark series by Laini Taylor and it was more dark-themed than horror.

Genres I enjoy
-Fantasy
-Sci-fi
-Supernatural Fiction
-Horror Fiction
-Literally any fiction involving space (I have an unhealthy love obsession with space in general)

What exactly do you mean by horror fantasy? Do you just mean horror with supernatural elements, or something else?
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Anastasia Atkinson
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anastasia-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Anastasia Atkinson »

Gravy wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 20:34
SeraphineYuiki wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 04:41 I enjoyed books like Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson, Solaris Seethes by Janet McNulty, and End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose. I really enjoy fantasy being involved in my readings, but I haven't found a horror fantasy book or book series that really makes you shiver in your bones. The closest I have gotten is the Dreamdark series by Laini Taylor and it was more dark-themed than horror.

Genres I enjoy
-Fantasy
-Sci-fi
-Supernatural Fiction
-Horror Fiction

What exactly do you mean by horror fantasy? Do you just mean horror with supernatural elements, or something else?
I did mean something different but I love horror with supernatural elements. I guess it's more like having a fantasy world that has horror elements. Maybe like if a world with magic had horrific elements to it.
Books and stories provide wonderful knowledge and lessons, but I must agree with my father that experience garners wisdom.
~Janet McNulty, excerpt from Solaris Seethes
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

SeraphineYuiki wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 13:17
Gravy wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 20:34

Genres I enjoy
-Fantasy
-Sci-fi
-Supernatural Fiction
-Horror Fiction

I did mean something different but I love horror with supernatural elements. I guess it's more like having a fantasy world that has horror elements. Maybe like if a world with magic had horrific elements to it.
I see. Sadly, I'm not really familiar with any of that specific description. Sorry!
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Carrye McDonald
Currently Reading: Truth That Dawns
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrye-mcdonald.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B004HZYA6E

Post by Carrye McDonald »

Genres I enjoy
-Fantasy
-Sci-fi
-Supernatural Fiction
-Horror Fiction

The only thing I can think of is HP Lovecraft. He wrote Eldritch Horror, which I would classify as a mix between fantasy and horror with a bit of cosmic influence.
Ashna Tibrewal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashna-tibrewal.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Ashna Tibrewal »

horror- The Childs semetary by Stephan King
I Like Fiction Books
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-i-like-fiction-books.html
Latest Review: Merlin's Rings: Book One: Young Crusaders by Virginia Hoyt

Post by I Like Fiction Books »

Space Case by Stuart Gibbs
Jack King
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Specter of the Past
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-king.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jack King »

Anastasia_Atkinson wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 04:41 I enjoyed books like Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson, Solaris Seethes by Janet McNulty, and End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose. I really enjoy fantasy being involved in my readings, but I haven't found a horror fantasy book or book series that really makes you shiver in your bones. The closest I have gotten is the Dreamdark series by Laini Taylor and it was more dark-themed than horror.

Genres I enjoy
-Fantasy
-Sci-fi
-Supernatural Fiction
-Horror Fiction

For me the original Star Wars books, now called legacy books I think, are amazing sci-fi there is so many of them around 150 I believe. If you love sci-fi then they are well worth checking out. With the amount of books there is it can be daunting to know where to start. If you're interested let me know and I will write out a little guide of where I would recommend starting from.
We've longed to see the roses, but never felt the thorns
And bought our pretty crowns, but never paid the price
Find me in the river, find me there
Find me on my knees with my soul laid bare
Joseph Jose Nj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40

Post by Joseph Jose Nj »

1. "The Library at Mount Char" by Scott Hawkins: This dark and imaginative fantasy blends horror, mythology, and supernatural elements. It follows a group of orphaned librarians with god-like powers who must unlock the secrets of their enigmatic mentor.

2. "The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires" by Grady Hendrix: This horror-comedy novel combines supernatural elements with humor and suspense. Set in the 1990s, it follows a book club of Southern women who find themselves facing a charming but deadly vampire.

3. "The Passage" by Justin Cronin: This gripping and epic vampire thriller spans multiple genres, including horror, sci-fi, and post-apocalyptic fiction. It follows the outbreak of a vampiric virus and the ensuing battle for survival.

4. "Annihilation" by Jeff VanderMeer: This atmospheric and unsettling sci-fi novel is the first book in the "Southern Reach Trilogy." It follows an expedition into a mysterious and dangerous area known as Area X, where nature has taken a sinister turn.

5. "NOS4A2" by Joe Hill: This supernatural horror novel follows a woman with the ability to track down a supernatural child kidnapper who feeds off the souls of children. It's a chilling and suspenseful tale that explores the thin line between reality and nightmare.

6. "Hyperion" by Dan Simmons: This science fiction classic is a blend of space opera, fantasy, and horror. It follows a group of pilgrims on a dangerous journey through a time-bending universe, encountering enigmatic and terrifying creatures along the way.

7. "Red Moon" by Benjamin Percy: This novel is a blend of supernatural fiction, political intrigue, and suspense. It explores a world where werewolves exist and the political tensions that arise when their existence is revealed.
Tammy Grey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammy-grey.html
Latest Review: Not Dead Yet by Mark Fletcher

Post by Tammy Grey »

I enjoy horror. Like the child cemetery by Stephan King.
Nimra Kiran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimra-kiran.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Nimra Kiran »

Edgar Allan Poe is just amazing yet terrifying in his style of mystery and horror.
"A bear knows seven songs and they are all about honey."

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”