High Fantasy Recommendations

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Ashley Price 3
Favorite Book: Home Body
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-price-3.html
Latest Review: Enlightenment for the Things that Really Matter by Mark Gumbrell

Re: High Fantasy Recommendations

Post by Ashley Price 3 »

I think you would like the Red Queen series which has great world building and character development.
jsmyla
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsmyla.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by jsmyla »

I am upvoting all of those.
Besides that, A Song of Ice and Fire is worth reading even if not finished. From Brandon Sanderson also Elantris and Warbreaker. And The Witcher.
Marie Chalupová wrote: 02 Oct 2022, 13:03
Yes, but will he ever actually finish A Song of Fire and Ice? He’s finished quite a few other books he hadn’t even started when he began the series or finished the most recent one then left everyone (including HBO who deferred shooting for an extra year on his word he was “almost done”) just hanging. I’m betting he’s trying to make sure he has the money to pay back any advance he received for the last book because he doesn’t know where he wants to take it.
I would think the terrible HBO ending probably didn’t help. It had *some* decent content that could be used (obviously a lot couldn’t because the books had already gone in a different direction, it was just plain bad, or the other plot lines going on in the books that were never included in the show needed a place to go and the characters for them had been cast in other plots). But for the overall scheme of where to take the main characters of each plot line, there are quite a few possibilities for many of them and the overall plot for how to stop the White Walkers has a LOT of options. HBO contributing some things even more twisted than he usually writes probably did him in with the daze people go into when faced with too many options (like when shopping too many options for the same thing can actually cause you not to buy anything rather than be trying to choose) for how to finish it all.

So no, after over 10 years and his refusal to answer any questions about it without beating around the bush, I don’t believe that series will be finished by him anymore. Sometimes the publisher will bring in another writer with a similar style to finish a series when the original author dies with a large enough fan base though. That’s what happened with the Wheel of Time.
I do not think that word means what you think it means- Inigo Montoya, “The Princess Bride” :eusa-think:
Chris Konstantine
Currently Reading: Apocalypse Reckoning 2.0
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-konstantine.html
Latest Review: The Illusion of Superiority by Christopher Joseph

Post by Chris Konstantine »

shilpa khanom wrote: 06 Jul 2022, 11:19 Hey, so I'm very much into my whimsical adventure/ immersive fantasy era and while booktok and booktube are lovely I seem to always see YA fantasy like Throne of Glass/ Court of Thorn and Roses etc being recommended. But having read books such as the Gentlemen Bastards series/ the name of the wind and the poppy war I feel like I'm looking for something that has incredible world building but doesn't lose humour and heart in its characters and their relationships. So my question is what are your high fantasy recs? :tiphat:
I'm wondering, have you read A wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. LeGuin? It has what you seek and more. Earthsea is the first in her series and does some things exceptionally well. The world building and immersion are excellent, while character development and relationships are executed in a realistic fashion.

Give it a try if you haven't, I believe you may be pleasantly surprised.
Ambar Gill
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Finale
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ambar-gill.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 42%

Post by Ambar Gill »

I've heard that The witcher series is really good! If its anything like the show, I think this would be an amazing high fantasy read.
Ambar Gill :angelic-flying:
Aroona Kashif
Favorite Author: Ana Huang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aroona-kashif.html
Latest Review: The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut
fav_author_id: 32219

Post by Aroona Kashif »

the folk of the air series by holly black is truly exquisite. it’s an enemies to lovers with a fabulously enticing plot!
all’s fair in love and poetry

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”